• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Sagii sale, Romance, Foreign, Baker, MLJ, WW II, more
1 1

39 posts in this topic

By the way, what's with Metro's grade of 3.5? We all know what CGC would give it. Man, if I got that in the mail from them, it would be on the fast track back where it came from. That being said, the price is right and it has all I want in it. I wouldn't read that story either. Thanks for putting it up Corey!

5 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

By the way, what's with Metro's grade of 3.5? We all know what CGC would give it. Man, if I got that in the mail from them, it would be on the fast track back where it came from. That being said, the price is right and it has all I want in it. I wouldn't read that story either. Thanks for putting it up Corey!

No, thank you! :foryou:

-....and yes, i wondered what CGC would've graded it at, even if i left the Metro sticker on it. And i'm sure they would've hammered it :makepoint:

16 minutes ago, sagii said:

-....and yes, i wondered what CGC would've graded it at, even if i left the Metro sticker on it. And i'm sure they would've hammered it :makepoint:

Metro sticker or not, either 0.5 or a qualified grade. Missing page, back cover missing ect usually garners a poor. I prefer the qualified grade because of the overall look and the fact that the page missing is from a lousy story that I would probably just flip past anyway. A great copy for my purpose and one that I probably couldn't see myself paying up for anyway. 

It just kind of amazes me that Metro would put that grade on it with that defect. I would give it a Q grade if I ever wanted to part with it. And full disclosure as you did. I don't buy from them much unless it's in person.

17 minutes ago, Robot Man said:
41 minutes ago, sagii said:

Metro sticker or not, either 0.5 or a qualified grade. Missing page, back cover missing ect usually garners a poor. I prefer the qualified grade because of the overall look and the fact that the page missing is from a lousy story that I would probably just flip past anyway. A great copy for my purpose and one that I probably couldn't see myself paying up for anyway. 

It just kind of amazes me that Metro would put that grade on it with that defect. I would give it a Q grade if I ever wanted to part with it. And full disclosure as you did. I don't buy from them much unless it's in person.

Cool books, Corey! 

If I remember correctly, this has come up before on another book that someone had.  I believe Metro responded that since they made the defect evident, there was no need to add qualified to the grade; however, I thought they did modify that stance.  I actually thought it was Vincent that responded but my memory may be failing me.  

3 minutes ago, telerites said:

Cool books, Corey! 

If I remember correctly, this has come up before on another book that someone had.  I believe Metro responded that since they made the defect evident, there was no need to add qualified to the grade; however, I thought they did modify that stance.  I actually thought it was Vincent that responded but my memory may be failing me.  

Thanks Jef  :hi:

Yes, i guess since they did note it on the label (and in the listing) they felt the 'qualified' notation wasn't needed. But like RM said, we all know CGC would come down on the other end of the spectrum. 

3 hours ago, sagii said:

This is a rare thing for me: I don't sell MLJ's because i collect them.

TOP-NOTCH COMICS #31 G/VG But had to agonize over this one. One of my grails (i love the crazy action on this one, and the 'jiggle' motions on Suzie's (ahem) tail lights were an added bonus. It's the 'D' copy also. But though the story affected by the tear was one i wouldn't read anyway, it kind of 'bothered' me a bit. I know there are collectors who don't mind such things and this will fit their collection nicely. Still an EARLY HTF MLJ. I have placed a sheet of paper in the pics so you get an idea of the effected story. All pages intact. Hate to be on the hunt for a copy again but...Asking $150 (SOLD!!!)

Top-Notch Laugh Comics #31 ('D' copy).jpg

IMG_3814.JPG

IMG_3812.JPG

IMG_3813.JPG

Ahhhhhhh nooooooooo!!!!!!  Tears in my beer.  

1 minute ago, path4play said:

What's worse.  Never going to board and maybe missing something or going to boards and actually missing something?  Quandary

Both :D

I believe @edowens71 already has one, so I new one of you other 'Motorcycle' guys would've nabbed it. 

41 minutes ago, sagii said:

Thanks Jef  :hi:

Yes, i guess since they did note it on the label (and in the listing) they felt the 'qualified' notation wasn't needed. But like RM said, we all know CGC would come down on the other end of the spectrum. 

I totally agree. It should be standard practice to add Apparent to the numeric grade then note the qualifying defects. 

3 hours ago, sagii said:

This is a rare thing for me: I don't sell MLJ's because i collect them.

TOP-NOTCH COMICS #31 G/VG But had to agonize over this one. One of my grails (i love the crazy action on this one, and the 'jiggle' motions on Suzie's (ahem) tail lights were an added bonus. It's the 'D' copy also. But though the story affected by the tear was one i wouldn't read anyway, it kind of 'bothered' me a bit. I know there are collectors who don't mind such things and this will fit their collection nicely. Still an EARLY HTF MLJ. I have placed a sheet of paper in the pics so you get an idea of the effected story. All pages intact. Hate to be on the hunt for a copy again but...Asking $150 (SOLD!!!)

Top-Notch Laugh Comics #31 ('D' copy).jpg

IMG_3814.JPG

IMG_3812.JPG

IMG_3813.JPG

I actually bought this book from Metropolis and had to return it due to the torn page.  They did not offer me a discount and they did not pay my return postage.  It is a gorgeous book and an incredible shame.  Hope it finds a nice home.

12 minutes ago, BakerFanOne said:

I actually bought this book from Metropolis and had to return it due to the torn page.  They did not offer me a discount and they did not pay my return postage.  It is a gorgeous book and an incredible shame.  Hope it finds a nice home.

When i saw the listing it was noted. Rather than send an e mail requesting a pic of the page and risk another buyer swooping in while i waited for a response, i pulled the trigger. Top-Notch is my largest MLJ run. I hope to at least 'near complete' the run, and have them all graded. If the latter wasn't a goal i'd have kept this copy. But I know it would have bothered me to have one green label amongst the blue :insane:

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause such a ruckus about this. I should have just bought it and shut up. Happy to get it from a great seller. I will throw away that creepy Metro label and let it start it's life with me clean! 

For the record if I ever decided to part with it (which isn't likely), I would grade it as qualified and note the damage. It looks great otherwise.

Thanks Corey!

7 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Great books C!!! If not for our pal CC I would have been all over that GI Joe!! Jeep covers ? I guess what's inside doesn't hurt either!! Nice books

Jeep covers?  Buying it for the jeep?  I wasn't aware there was a jeep under the nurse until you mentioned in. 

15 hours ago, Comcav said:

Jeep covers?  Buying it for the jeep?  I wasn't aware there was a jeep under the nurse until you mentioned in. 

LOL!!!!! What else can I say buddy ol' pal I am a sucker for a beautiful woman and Jeeps!! I just so happen to have one of each ?? I guess it IS kind of ironic that my wife just so happens to be a nurse as well I think the combo is what draws me to the book so much so when you're ready to part with it you make sure to let me know brother you got my address already!! Maybe if Corey wasn't hoarding all the copies I would have one already hehe!! 

12374576414_fd56b6f737_b.jpg