• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the most widely desired comic book for $100?
2 2

109 posts in this topic

Ok - it's come down to two options.  

Raw Star Wars 1 in nice shape is one option.  I like the fact that pretty much everyone knows Star Wars and will at least some what appreciate the significance of the 1st Star Wars comic book.  It's got a nice wow factor and it's expensive enough a lot of casual collectors will not have a copy.

Second option is a CGC 9.8 Spider-Man vs Wolverine.  This has two of the most iconic characters with a cool cover.  The slab will be a novelty to most.  But the title is definitely not as well known as Star Wars.  The slab could also scare away people who want to read the book.

What is your vote?

7 hours ago, solm4st3r said:

How about Uncanny X-Men 266 in raw NM or CGC 9.2/9.4? This is a big first appearance issue of a major character everyone knows.

Disagree on everyone knowing Gambit.  Most comic book collectors know the character but I'd guess a lot would not know X-men 266 is his 1st appearance.  I think a lot of people would love to win it for free but I don't think it has the wow factor to the lay person.

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Woverine Limited 1. 

I love the book and I've got quite a few high grade copies right now but I just don't think the general public appreaciates it as much as we do.  It really is not a key book in terms of it being a 1st appearance.  Classic cover for sure - Frank Miller has general appeal but I don't think the wow factor is there like the other 2 books.

14 minutes ago, s14roller said:

I also like ASM700 for around that price.  

If it was the last Spider-Man comic I could see people clamming to get a copy similar to the Death of Superman issue.  But since it's not I think most people would kind of yawn at possibly wining it.

On 10/21/2017 at 9:19 AM, 1Cool said:

The $ amount is slightly arbitrary but I think $10 is too low.  If I do $2000 in sales then I've got to get 200 raffle tickets filled in since I'm not requiring people to be there in order to win.  100 seems like a much easier number to manage. 

But can you get a 100 to manage? The $20 dollar entry fee might scare the lay person away. You might have more success with the lower number. Of course I don't know the logistics of this place and what kind of customer traffics there. Usually though a lower price gets more people to play. hm

18 minutes ago, westerberg14 said:

Has Harley/Batman one-shot been mentioned?  Alex Ross cover is great and should appeal to wide range of audience.

I've got a nice high grade 2nd print that I'd love to get rid of since it's been around for awhile but I still think 1st Star Wars is the winner.  Sony many people will be wowed by the book even if they are not big comic book fans.  Harley One-Shot is a sweet book but unless you could say it was the 1st Harley Quinn it just doesn't match up well vs the Star Wars.

The experiment went off without a hitch today and the results are kind of a wash.  I ended up going with a nice looking Star Wars 1 with a cool sign designed by my talented wife.  Here is a picture of how it looked from the buyers stand point:

My booth spot was not the best and the Con wasn't the best in terms of sales but I only had 38 tickets in the jar when I had my booth neighbor pull out a name.  The general reaction I got from most people was "wow - but I'll just take my $10 book" or "is it the 35 cent variant".  I did get 15 people or so to bump up their purchase amount to get the ticket which probably generated $75 of so but the give-away did give me some leeway when it came to negotiations since the buyer would say "can you do $15 for a $18 book" and I could tell them about the give away and they would bump up their amount to $23 to get the ticket without a discount.  The Star Wars 1 was not a cheap give away especially since it was not a huge sales Con but I do believe it helped clear out some non-key books and so I call it a wash.  Would I do it again?  Probably not since it was a lot of extra work to pimp the give away since most people didn't seem to be able to read the sign or seemed shocked when I brought it up.  And when you factor most people simply did not look at the wall books and were only interested in the bin books it was tedious to keep telling people about the give away.  I even had two people walk away rather then fill in the raffle ticket and one of them said "I've got one already". 

On 11/5/2017 at 7:33 PM, 1Cool said:

My booth spot was not the best and the Con wasn't the best in terms of sales but I only had 38 tickets in the jar when I had my booth neighbor pull out a name.  The general reaction I got from most people was "wow - but I'll just take my $10 book" or "is it the 35 cent variant".  I did get 15 people or so to bump up their purchase amount to get the ticket which probably generated $75 of so but the give-away did give me some leeway when it came to negotiations since the buyer would say "can you do $15 for a $18 book" and I could tell them about the give away and they would bump up their amount to $23 to get the ticket without a discount.  The Star Wars 1 was not a cheap give away especially since it was not a huge sales Con but I do believe it helped clear out some non-key books and so I call it a wash.  Would I do it again?  Probably not since it was a lot of extra work to pimp the give away since most people didn't seem to be able to read the sign or seemed shocked when I brought it up.  And when you factor most people simply did not look at the wall books and were only interested in the bin books it was tedious to keep telling people about the give away.  I even had two people walk away rather then fill in the raffle ticket and one of them said "I've got one already". 

Lesson Learned.  Thanks for the feedback.    How much were you selling that New mutants 100?

5 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Lesson Learned.  Thanks for the feedback.    How much were you selling that New mutants 100?

Too much since it didn’t sell lol. Send me a PM and we can talk since I’ve got a few.

On 05/11/2017 at 5:33 PM, 1Cool said:

as I expected. the most interesting comment to me is that so few looked at the wall. sometimes I feel the same about our wall.