• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beckett
3 3

418 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Every type of market evaluation can be manipulated. Doesn't Overstreet use sales prices from dealers across the country?

I love when dealers use Overstreet to price books.

haha so do I.  Anytime someone reaches for Overstreet to price a gold age book I'm stoked because I'm about to get a deal, and it rarely happens. It's usually multiples of guide and if I'm at a con, a multiple of gpa that is already a multiple of guide.

4 hours ago, Pizzafist said:

I don't trust Beckett ,They manipulated and destroyed the Sports card market with over-inflated prices in their old monthly guides and their card grading is not that great,In my limited experience with them. Seems like a reach for them that will only damage the comic market.Thank goodness Overstreet keeps it real...

lol Yeah, Overstreet definitely hasn't been manipulating the comic market for decades. :eyeroll:

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

Can you elaborate?   I missed the FB announcement and there is nothing on the website regarding the acquisition. 

Personal beef = "verrrry questionable", you didn't miss anything worthwhile.

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

There was rumors years ago that Overstreet and Geppi manipulated the Barks and EC Comics markets. I don't know as I was a kid back then,maybe veterans can chime in?

That was before the internet came along...It was the great equalizer..It did used to be super hard to get any EC books...Disney Barks were easy to find even before ebay but always listed in Overstreet as overpriced and hard to sell at half of guide to collectors.

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Can you elaborate?   I missed the FB announcement and there is nothing on the website regarding the acquisition. 

CBCS employs multiple people that they should not have. If you're going to be the upstart, you should only hire people with spotless reputations, people completely beyond reproach. Unfortunately, that cancels out a good 50% of the people in the comics business.

1 minute ago, The Resurrection said:
2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

...in half the time.

In half an hour. It's a shame so many great people left the boards over the years.

lol

I almost went with 20 minutes, but that works.

So many great people HAVE left the boards. 

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

lol

And so many great people have replaced them :D

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

lol

It's very sad. We had one heck of a community for over a decade and now this place is just kind of, different. I miss when this place was really about collecting.