• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beckett
3 3

418 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ChiSoxFan said:

I owe these boards for my appreciation for a lot of Golden Age -- pre-Hero DC titles, pre-code Horror, GGA, and more.  So many books I didn't know existed -- or that I didn't know I wanted to own -- until I'd seen them here. :cloud9:

Me too but now i am going broke trying to keep up with some of all the great GA stuff you listed !

Edited by 1950's war comics

3 hours ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Yes, quite a "few" sets of the Tec 401 to 500 run have appeared over the years. Several of the "newer" ones, and at least one of the "original" sets, focus on the books with Adams' covers, while others, I believe, intend to collect the full run.

As we know, it is a great run; with the exorbitant prices for several of the issues, I am glad I purchased my copies on the "cheap" several years ago.

Agreed on every point, and I will add the 500-600 set has added many new registry users. I mean WE knew Tec was the Cats Pajamas! And I still have about 50-100 books to sub, but haven't been happy with CGCs inconsistency

16 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Clearly there are different kinds of "collectors" here with completely different mind sets when it comes to the collecting of comic books.

You've got the new generation of CGC collectors who are just so into the CGC Registry that it seems they are really collecting CGC labels as opposed to collecting the underlying comic books themselves.  I believe the mind set of these collectors is much more about the grade and the subsequent value of their books and how much they can sell it for.  Probably a mind set more like a speculator or investor and these so-called collectors are usually never really in the hobby for a long time, as they are just looking to make some money and jump back out into something else.

On the other side, you have the long-time collectors who have been around long before CGC was even a thought in anybody's mind.  These types of collectors have most likely never even gone into the Registry portion of the CGC website.  They also couldn't give a hoot about it or most likely don't even know about it at all as all of their books are still raw.  Especially since they see no reason at all to slab their books yet as they don't have any intention of selling them anytime soon.  hm

CGC would have failed if not for the registry. It pulled that competitive nature out of collectors and is a HUGE reason Brand X hasn't been as fierce of competition. I enjoy the registry, but have not used it for 2 years now due to my inability to have faith in CGCs grading, so my personal submission stopped.

On 10/25/2017 at 9:29 AM, The Resurrection said:

Started a few years ago. When I watched the one collector who is slipping my mind start unloading all of his BA horror runs, I took notice. Since then a few people have cashed out (quietly or otherwise). Which makes me wonder about the stability of the hobby. If you are a collector, common books are cheap as dirt, but keys are insanely high.

There have been collectors cashing out for years, it's part of the circle of comic life.

When J Berk's large collection came up for auction prices were generally very high. and it was quickly absorbed into collector's hands.   Keys, good quality GA, pre-code horror, good girl art are all selling for record amounts.  I always worry about the CA to modern market but there's a strong and diverse base for the old stuff.

I've also noticed a lot of SA to MA collectors starting to buy GA, great trend. 

I like CBCS, but if it morphs into Beckett, I'm going to be avoiding CBCS slabs going forward.  Don't collect cards any more, but when I did, Beckett really soured on me.  Their policy of accepting sheetcuts made it all too easy for trimmed cards to get graded.  Got seriously burned on a few BGS cards back in the day.  Not to say that PSA hasn't allowed a few sheet cuts/trimmed cards get by, but at least they have a formal policy against this and actively look for it rather than just accept it as being "OK".

24 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

There have been collectors cashing out for years, it's part of the circle of comic life.

When J Berk's large collection came up for auction prices were generally very high. and it was quickly absorbed into collector's hands.   Keys, good quality GA, pre-code horror, good girl art are all selling for record amounts.  I always worry about the CA to modern market but there's a strong and diverse base for the old stuff.

ezgif-1-ef20bc7dae.gif

Edited by ygogolak

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

I suppose it is. GA eventually becomes the final stop due to the scarcity and honestly some of the best art ever. GGA covers don't really have a BA to MA equivalent, Campbell, Hughes, Etc are all far more cartoony, the Pre Code horror is just fantastic and some is absolutely gruesome, I can sit and rave about GA books. But what I am seeing less of is guys completing Justice League, Avengers, Fantastic Four runs. It seems that group is fading, even CA and MA it is mostly keys only and the rest is bird cage liner.

10 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

In the Comics General section, people tend to stay with "the sky is falling" and "everyone is cashing out" scenario as opposed to what thehumantorch stated.

I think you are taking just one portion of the conversation though. My comment was that common issues have been becoming less valuable while keys and classic covers have sky rocketed. This is hardly a sky is falling scenario, as it was more of a change in mindset of the newer collector looking at comics as almost strictly investments.  And yes, guys did see the writing on the wall with their collections as they were decreasing by halves, which can be backed up just by doing a little searching through Ebay completed sales or GPA.

8 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

I think you are taking just one portion of the conversation though. My comment was that common issues have been becoming less valuable while keys and classic covers have sky rocketed. This is hardly a sky is falling scenario, as it was more of a change in mindset of the newer collector looking at comics as almost strictly investments.  And yes, guys did see the writing on the wall with their collections as they were decreasing by halves, which can be backed up just by doing a little searching through Ebay completed sales or GPA.

Sorry, didn't even read what he quoted you on. I just liked his comment, not that it was a response to you.

3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Sorry, didn't even read what he quoted you on. I just liked his comment, not that it was a response to you.

No worries, just having some conversation as the state of brand X doesn't really interest many people.

1 hour ago, The Resurrection said:

I suppose it is. GA eventually becomes the final stop due to the scarcity and honestly some of the best art ever. GGA covers don't really have a BA to MA equivalent, Campbell, Hughes, Etc are all far more cartoony, the Pre Code horror is just fantastic and some is absolutely gruesome, I can sit and rave about GA books. But what I am seeing less of is guys completing Justice League, Avengers, Fantastic Four runs. It seems that group is fading, even CA and MA it is mostly keys only and the rest is bird cage liner.

Absolutely, run collectors are slowly dying off for a number of reasons.

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

Absolutely, run collectors are slowly dying off for a number of reasons.

Well, for one the massive influx of high grade comics the past 5 years? A lot of really good collections, realizing high prices, driving out tons more collections?

After the kool aid gets put down lets ask ourselves what has really happened?

The venture capitalist side of the "other grading company" has been replaced with a established grading company that has history in the sports card market.

Their reputation in the sports card market is that they "are stricter" in grading vintage material then the other grading companies out there.  I have heard this but since I don't buy and sell cards I am only going by what I hear,  not what I see.

Will Becketts bring their stricter grading standards to "other grading company?  They don't grade comics so who is going to bring that experience to the acquired company.    I haven't seen that the grading team of "other grading company" was leaving.  Steve wasn't bought out or maybe he was.  I don't know that.  

All I can assume is that unless something changes I will be seeing the same pricing/turnaround times and grading that I saw before.

Maybe that will change with the new management team.  Maybe it won't.

Will the acquisition of the "other grading company" by Beckett's get me to submit books to them?  Why?  What is the "other grading company" going to do differently?  Grade stricter?  Undo their loose grading reputation by being bought by a company with a stricter grading reputation?  You don't undo a reputation just by being bought out.  You undo a reputation by doing,  not by saying or changing ownership.  

Edited by blazingbob

On 10/24/2017 at 3:10 AM, SECollector said:

So the second best in the sports cards market purchased the second best in the comic books field. I wonder if PSA who is the leading company in cards will now make a move towards CGC. Now, that would be interesting! hm

I wish the Collectors Society would buy SGC and bring them back in the fold. Collectors Society should really find a way to get back in the card grading business. Imagine card registries with the way Collectors Society has their registries. That would be awesome.

Edited by elove

On 10/23/2017 at 5:13 PM, BeachBum said:

Someone had to save them. Maybe now they can hire an additional person to answer the phone.

j/k... not really.

And this would not be helped by the Beckett purchase. Beckett is notorious for having the worst customer service out of all the card grading companies.

In my experience companies are bought out for two primary reasons.  Either the company is doing so poorly they sell cheap to avoid going under or they are doing so well a bigger company offers a ton of cash to obtain the ongoing profits.  Any idea which of the two occurred in this case?