• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good news! These are available now....

17 posts in this topic

I asked about a couple things and got a similar list.  Kind of a mix of happiness at actually having prices, but disappointment at the incredibly high asking prices.  One of the pieces I was interested in sold for $8000 at an auction a year ago and they're now asking $25,000 for it.  

4 hours ago, bisquitodoom said:

I asked about a couple things and got a similar list.  Kind of a mix of happiness at actually having prices, but disappointment at the incredibly high asking prices.  One of the pieces I was interested in sold for $8000 at an auction a year ago and they're now asking $25,000 for it.  

That's not surprising, their rule of thumb is around 3x

Malvin

When I entered the hobby, I was told the Donnelleys are focused on maximizing margins not sales--  no doubt, their inventory is massive and remains so because of this approach.  Years ago, before online auction archives and eBay, it was easy for them to prey on the steady stream of novice collectors with limited knowledge about FMV and artist credits ("Frank signed it therefore he pencilled it").   To their credit, at the time when 95% of CAF pieces are NFS and many collectors ignored unsolicited inquiries, the Donnelleys at least responded when you "Inquire" on pieces and quoted you prices.   Seeing their prices, newbie collectors might think "Hmmmm..." whereas experienced collectors can say WTF and have a laugh...  

3 minutes ago, Kohei said:

As a greenie I can tell you newbies react the same as seasoned folks.

And it doesn't take many auction cycles to see most of the online dealers with decent websites bidding at the same auctions as all of the collectors. The floor is set.

I will admit I have brought more than 5 but less than 10 pieces from them over the years...stuff I got in 2012, well a few of them would be worth double or more now, but some are still very over valued :( 

3 of the pieces are some of my favorites and I have no regrets, and 1 was theirs from auction and I accidentally triggered the reserve (don't ask), I still love it and its another one of my faves but for sure over priced. Still, maybe its the comic art equivalent of a Nigerian letter...they want to weed out those that know and get to those that don't. 

Edited by Doc Joe

6 hours ago, Doc Joe said:

I will admit I have brought more than 5 but less than 10 pieces from them over the years...stuff I got in 2012, well a few of them would be worth double or more now, but some are still very over valued :( 

3 of the pieces are some of my favorites and I have no regrets, and 1 was theirs from auction and I accidentally triggered the reserve (don't ask), I still love it and its another one of my faves but for sure over priced. Still, maybe its the comic art equivalent of a Nigerian letter...they want to weed out those that know and get to those that don't. 

Don’t feel bad. I have a later Byrnes X-men hidden world splash I got from them. Was a pain to close but I still love it. 

8 hours ago, Doc Joe said:

Mister Doctor Joseph, We have opportunity in business for you for have to artworks in place of moneys placed in escrow... contact us immediately, ask for brother, for transfer of funds in exchange for super new great deal on slightly used yet unused prototype rejected cover not covers in hand for immediately delivered to your place of collections. 

Sincerestly ,

Governor Gunga-Lagunga leader of the Donnelly Tribe, Southern NeverDealWithLand