• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to complain about high prices without sounding like a bitter old man/your dad.
3 3

21 posts in this topic

If you know, please share.

How do you vent your frustration with high prices of comics and other things without sounding like:

You're entitled.  Because no one is.

Without saying "It doesn't seem fair" because it never was or will be.

Free clapping for the first cliche answers we've all heard before.    

Just now, Brian48 said:

........................but I am a bitter old man.

Good point - I am too! :banana: 

Personally, I think today's high prices are temporary and primarily a function of two factors.  One is the comic movie craze.  However, I think that is much more benign than the main factor which is that stocks and real estate have been pushed to way overvalued levels (largely driven by central bank shenanigans and huge increases in government deficits).  The massive amount of paper wealth that has built up has led to all sorts of assets becoming inflated including sports cards, vintage autos, comic books, art, etc.  I haven't sat down and actually done the math but my guess is that you could probably buy every single CGC book for well below 1% of Apple stock's value.  And 1% of Apple is virtually nothing on just Apple's value, let alone the entire stock market capitalization.

In times like this, I would probably focus on hard to find books that aren't that expensive (even if they did go up in value a lot).  Mainly because they are hard to find.  I would not buy Hulk 181 or AF15 at these lofty levels.  Personally, I'm extremely confident that the next 5-10 years will manifest in a significant asset deflation scenario at some point.  I think it could get really ugly and comic books will be the last thing people will care to buy with their limited amount of funds.

1 hour ago, entalmighty1 said:

The book was clearly a potential upgrade candidate.

lol Channeling Dale?

As an "old guy", I don't really mind high prices. I bought much of my collection when this stuff was dirt cheap by today's standards. I'm going to make an insane amount of money when I start selling it off...  :devil:

(3 of the books in my sig line below, I bought for around $10.00 back in the day)

Edited by Robot Man

I've met BitterOldMan.

Somewhat misleading a name as he actually has a great sense of humour.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, FSF said:

Personally, I think today's high prices are temporary and primarily a function of two factors.  One is the comic movie craze.  However, I think that is much more benign than the main factor which is that stocks and real estate have been pushed to way overvalued levels (largely driven by central bank shenanigans and huge increases in government deficits).  The massive amount of paper wealth that has built up has led to all sorts of assets becoming inflated including sports cards, vintage autos, comic books, art, etc.  I haven't sat down and actually done the math but my guess is that you could probably buy every single CGC book for well below 1% of Apple stock's value.  And 1% of Apple is virtually nothing on just Apple's value, let alone the entire stock market capitalization.

In times like this, I would probably focus on hard to find books that aren't that expensive (even if they did go up in value a lot).  Mainly because they are hard to find.  I would not buy Hulk 181 or AF15 at these lofty levels.  Personally, I'm extremely confident that the next 5-10 years will manifest in a significant asset deflation scenario at some point.  I think it could get really ugly and comic books will be the last thing people will care to buy with their limited amount of funds.

There is a precedent to this. What happened to overall valuations of comic books in late 2008 early 2009 when the stock market & economy was on life support? ASM books of all ages for example were flying high at the time. They have come down since are now experiencing a bit of another upswing. Maybe the 2008 high was due to the movie? Don't know. 

But there is already a precedent as I stated.

Edited by MGsimba77

7 hours ago, FSF said:

One can only hope. :wishluck:

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

As an "old guy", I don't really mind high prices. I bought much of my collection when this stuff was dirt cheap by today's standards. I'm going to make an insane amount of money when I start selling it off...  :devil:

(3 of the books in my sig line below, I bought for around $10.00 back in the day)

Me too. :cloud9:

I definitely think the movies have given them a big bump.  For example, it seems like recently many raw Bronze age #1's were readily available in high grade for $35-$50 in high grade (Black Panther, Inhumans, Iron Fist, Luke Cage), now today, triple to quadruple & only Cage is a 'first appearance'.  Doesn't make much sense.