• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the craziest price someone has wanted for their comic books?
2 2

44 posts in this topic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-46-Jan-1966-Marvel/222150164074?epid=85406676&hash=item33b92e7e6a:g:aaIAAOSwOVpXfeU-

This gem seems a little pricey....

Fantastic-Four-46-Jan-1966-Marvel

Have one to sell? Sell now

Fantastic Four #46 (Jan 1966, Marvel)

2 product ratings 

Item condition:
--

Price:
US $20,000.00

Add to cart

Best Offer:

4 watching

Free shipping
Located in United States
Best offer available

eBay bucks Pay today and earn $100.00 in eBay Bucks. See conditions

For the next 3 hours, this amount includes Bonus Offer!!

Shipping:
FREE Expedited Shipping | See details

Item location:
Brownsville, Texas, United States

2 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-46-Jan-1966-Marvel/222150164074?epid=85406676&hash=item33b92e7e6a:g:aaIAAOSwOVpXfeU-

Have one to sell? Sell now

2 product ratings 

Item condition:
--

Price:
US $20,000.00

Add to cart

Best Offer:

4 watching

Free shipping
Located in United States
Best offer available

Shipping:

Item location:

:takeit:

It wasn't so much an over-pricing as sheer incongruity.  I remember years ago a family coming in, and they'd given their 2-year old in diapers a copy of the 1970s overisize reprint of Action #1 to carry around.  They strolled around the store for quite awhile as the infant dragged the book across the floor behind her the whole time.  Then they had another kid (maybe 7) finally bring it up to the counter and ask what I'd give for it.  I was polite and said it really wasn't anything I could use at this time.  The child dutifully reported it back to the father, who exploded and loudly announced that I was a crook because that book was worth 50-grand! (or something like that).  The family then stormed out.  I'm not sure which was more confusing... the fact that I'm a "crook" for NOT making an offer on something... or that an item you think is valued at more than your entire net worth is something you give a baby to play with until you're ready to sell it.

31 minutes ago, Bookery said:

It wasn't so much an over-pricing as sheer incongruity.  I remember years ago a family coming in, and they'd given their 2-year old in diapers a copy of the 1970s overisize reprint of Action #1 to carry around.  They strolled around the store for quite awhile as the infant dragged the book across the floor behind her the whole time.  Then they had another kid (maybe 7) finally bring it up to the counter and ask what I'd give for it.  I was polite and said it really wasn't anything I could use at this time.  The child dutifully reported it back to the father, who exploded and loudly announced that I was a crook because that book was worth 50-grand! (or something like that).  The family then stormed out.  I'm not sure which was more confusing... the fact that I'm a "crook" for NOT making an offer on something... or that an item you think is valued at more than your entire net worth is something you give a baby to play with until you're ready to sell it.

The craziest part of this story is the guy let a toddler handle something that he thought was worth 50 thousand dollars. 

I don't even let my 5 year old niece touch any of my comic books because she doesn't have the motor skills to be delicate with them yet. I tried showing her a comic one day (she saw Spider-girl on the cover and was asking about her) and she kept grabbing at it while I was trying to read it to her.  The comic went from probably a 9.6 to a 4.0 lol in the 2 minutes I had it out of it's sleeve. 

p.s. does anyone else cringe at how other people handle comics out in the wild?  I was buying some golden age/silver age romance/cartoon/western comics from a lady at a garage sale this summer. Some were in rough shape but some were in really good shape. Well she gets the idea that she should put some aside for her grandson. She starts flipping through them (bending them at the spine) and throwing the one's she wants hap-hazzardly into a pile while I'm struggling not to have a conniption fit. 

On 11/16/2017 at 11:30 PM, 01TheDude said:

2 product ratings 

Item condition:
--

Price:
US $20,000.00

Add to cart

Best Offer:

4 watching

Free shipping
Located in United States
Best offer available

Shipping:

Item location:

IMG_5790.PNG

20 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

If you look at this guy's feedback you can see he seems to accept a LOT of "best offers".

Perhaps he figures the crazier the number he puts on something, the higher the offer will be.

I don't think he expects to get anywhere near the number on this one. 

Maybe he needs to take 5 zeros off....

On 11/17/2017 at 1:53 PM, Bookery said:

Yea, I had a family trying to sell me their 'first appearance of punisher' - Punisher #1 mini - for big bucks.  They thought I was trying to rip them off until I pointed out a copy I had stickered at $20.