• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Marvel’s Creative Head Helped Bring Nintendo to America

7 posts in this topic

This is an entertaining read. I'm sure members here who are into the videogame culture will appreciate it, but also the comic geeks because it's a great oral history of how Marvel's Joe Quesada brought Nintendo to America. I particularly found this quote funny:

So one day, the gentleman from Nintendo comes back in and says, “Hey, I got something for you.” It felt like something akin to a drug deal, because he looks around, reaches into an inside coat pocket, and pulls out this golden cartridge. He says, “This game is going to change everything.” And I look at it, and it's something called Legend of Zelda. And he says, “Just so you know, again, outside of the people in Seattle in our division, you're the first person to get to play this.” I don’t know for sure that I was the first person to play it outside of Seattle, but he sounded convincing.

So I bring it home and played the game. And played it all night. I didn't show up to work the next day, I just kept playing. And the day after, I showed up late to work and all I could think about was solving Zelda. This went on and on. My girlfriend was getting freaked out about it until I told her, “You should try this too.” Eventually she started to show up late for work. We couldn't get off of Zelda.

Read more here

Edited by comicwiz