• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oddball and/or borderline irreplaceable comics or comics-related ephemera you owned, then sold, and now wish you still had...
1 1

27 posts in this topic

We are NOT talking about one-of-a-kind stuff here:  e.g., OA; things signed by legends who have passed away; one-off sketches; comic-related letters/business papers/internal memos/cancelled checks; prototypes or concept designs; freakishly rare variant or error books; "OO" copies of comics with clear provenance & high sentimental value; etc., etc. 

Instead, let's focus on things which were just mass-produced enough (and possibly saved by other like-minded obsessives) to maybe be out there, somewhere, and thus potentially "re-acquireable" someday for the right price, and if you happen to be in the right place at the right time.

Here's one of mine:  an unbroken/unsold distributor bundle of NICK FURY AGENT OF SHIELD #18...

NF18-bundle1.JPG

NF18-bundle2.JPG

NF18-bundle3.JPG

20 hours ago, jools&jim said:

We are NOT talking about one-of-a-kind stuff here:  e.g., OA; things signed by legends who have passed away; one-off sketches; comic-related letters/business papers/internal memos/cancelled checks; prototypes or concept designs; freakishly rare variant or error books; "OO" copies of comics with clear provenance & high sentimental value; etc., etc. 

Instead, let's focus on things which were just mass-produced enough (and possibly saved by other like-minded obsessives) to maybe be out there, somewhere, and thus potentially "re-acquireable" someday for the right price, and if you happen to be in the right place at the right time.

Here's one of mine:  an unbroken/unsold distributor bundle of NICK FURY AGENT OF SHIELD #18...

NF18-bundle2.JPG

Imagine a bundle of AF15 :headbang:

9 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

:whistle:

Hide contents

IMG_20171127_194127524_HDR.thumb.jpg.fdda20ab3e5660dc57f6e8bb9a011077.jpg

Look it @jools&jim

I think that I can contribute to this thread...

School yearbooks that I didn't keep up with? perhaps the school would print it again for me at least since I attended etc.  I don't think it's a one time thing idk. This is a hard one because of all the the reasons we can't have lol

.haha it'd be nice to put names to faces for the stories I remember and tell meh

I guess I don't really have any oddities that I've sold. Other than band posters my mom threw away after I moved out.... but that still sounds kind of sentimental 

About 6 years ago. My ex wife and I went to an estate sale. At the time I was not collecting. I had sold my collection the year prior to fund some stuff we wanted to do and personal issues i had to take care of. All I had left was a long box and a short box of stuff I loved. And I am talking about some wolverine x men moon knight ghost rider and darkhawk books lol. I did still have some key books left but nothing mind blowing. So back to the estate sale. I find a box of comics. I look through the box and pull 40 books that were complete. I left all the coverless behind (kicking myself still) and I can't get to the counter fast enough. We leave and I show her what I got. It was 40 golden age books for a buck a piece . Some crime. Timely dc and others.  Ok now the real kicker. I wasn't a golden age collector at the time. I never had the money. So I take it to a comic shop and he offers me 800 cash or 1200 in trade. And yes I know that was a lot of money and I shouldn't be crying over this lol. I take the trade and spend it immediately on a bunch of book. I figured this was a perfect way to get most of my collection back. As I said. I had nothing mind blowing I got mostly Byrne xmen run and a couple key books. Nothing to exciting and nothing that I couldnt get now for same price. I kept 1 book out of the whole deal to remember it by. It is a cool book but I really wish I would have kept the others or chose more wisely. The pics below are not originals. But these are the books I remember being in the stack of 40. I will advise roughly the grade of each the comics were  in. The supermans were in 4.0 to 5.0 shape. Green lantern was 3.0 to 4.0 zoot 7 was beautiful 7.0 maybe higher. Ugh......mask 2 in gorgeous 7.0 shape human torch 12 was real bad 1.0 but complete and catman was 5.0ish shape.   Final picture of the spook was the 1 book I decided to keep.  Now there is 1 good thing about this story.  This did get me back into collecting and I have never stopped since nor hope to either. I love the hobby. I just really really wish I didn't trade these for what I traded for. Now as I get older and appreciate golden age like I do I realize that the chance of owning some of these at slim to none. . I feel like the kid that bought the magic beans lol. 

147f459825ee5e62f887fd16eec99b84.jpg

superman39-max-1400.jpg

779975.jpg

456064-468_4_07.jpg

lbcole.jpg

Human_Torch_Comics_Vol_1_12.jpg

Screenshot_2017-11-27-21-24-08.png

27d86d65436ecb99af7991a0fe5ba54b--comic-artist-pulp-art.jpg

While I never had one, I always wanted that cardboard Marvel World play set advertised in bronze era Marvels. I have only ever seen one in person, and they are few and far between online. And when they appear, they are beat, incomplete and expensive.

I also seem to remember, maybe in the 90's, a serie of 20" poseable articulated Marvel action figures. Cap was a classic silver/bronze look, and I always thought that would be a cool desk item. A cap action figure search now yields so much I cannot figure out how to narrow it and cannot bear to sift through!

2 minutes ago, october said:

:eek:

Probably could have added a zero onto those had you sold on here, even six years ago. :(

Trust me.  Would have kept them now and just bought the xmen lol. But without trying to be stuck on the past. I solely look at it as my way of getting back to collecting. For me losing almost my entire collection was the worst. You feel defeated when something like that happens. So at least getting back mostly what I had gave me a sense of accomplishment and since then I have been able to broaden my collection. Even though I would love to turn back the hands of time. I am glad that I am back to collecting and enjoying the hobby I have loved for 20 years. 

1 hour ago, wolverine180 said:

Trust me.  Would have kept them now and just bought the xmen lol. But without trying to be stuck on the past. I solely look at it as my way of getting back to collecting. For me losing almost my entire collection was the worst. You feel defeated when something like that happens. So at least getting back mostly what I had gave me a sense of accomplishment and since then I have been able to broaden my collection. Even though I would love to turn back the hands of time. I am glad that I am back to collecting and enjoying the hobby I have loved for 20 years. 

I am just bitter about not getting a shot at the Catman 28. Been after that one for years!

20 minutes ago, october said:

I am just bitter about not getting a shot at the Catman 28. Been after that one for years!

lol You're young, boy!

4 minutes ago, october said:
8 hours ago, lizards2 said:

lol You're young, boy!

It's all relative. I am a geezer to some, a kid to others. 

I know - I'm just mentally calculating how long you could have been chasing something, and comparing it to a true geezer, like myself. lol

4 minutes ago, TheFifthHorseman said:
3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I know - I'm just mentally calculating how long you could have been chasing something, and comparing it to a true geezer, like myself. lol

Imagine how many books you passed up over time.

So many wins too for sure.

I've told this story before, but I a several hundred dollars in bonus money in the early 90s and we were down in Reno shopping.  I couldn't find any nice silver age comics that I needed, so it came down to choosing between an Adventure 108 in NM or two upper mid-grade Captain Americas in the 50s issue numbers.  Of course, I got the Adventure because it was NM :cry:   :facepalm:

9 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
17 minutes ago, TheFifthHorseman said:
4 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Imagine how many books you passed up over time.

So many wins too for sure.

I've told this story before, but I a several hundred dollars in bonus money in the early 90s and we were down in Reno shopping.  I couldn't find any nice silver age comics that I needed, so it came down to choosing between an Adventure 108 in NM or two upper mid-grade Captain Americas in the 50s issue numbers.  Of course, I got the Adventure because it was NM :cry:   :facepalm:

I guess I did get something irreplaceable out of the deal, though:

adv108d-1.jpg

9 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

so it came down to choosing between an Adventure 108 in NM or two upper mid-grade Captain Americas in the 50s issue numbers.  Of course, I got the Adventure because it was NM :cry:   :facepalm:

Dead srs I'm certain I read that before. On the O L D boards.

Remember, I lurked for a year before I joined over a year ago.

I'm basically a staple of the community.