• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best GA/SA for christmas: Hurry
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I just came back from Costo...and bought the oversize hardcover books of "The Golden AGE of DC Comics"  1935-1956 .. 416 Full color pages,  and the oversized hard cover "The Silver Age of DC comics" 397 Pages from Taschen  the great book publisher. They are only 19.99 each...as well as the excellent Bronze age book, and if you use your costo card you will get 2% or more back from your purchase.

For the money, the quality of these books are unsurpassed. Great Front and Back cover designs and very sturdy hardback construction. It blows away Amazon and Barnes and Nobles prices.

I just started reading  the GA Volume and its great,  my highest recommendation....

Edited by Mmehdy

Benedikt ("Bene") Taschen started his businesses as an 18-year-old in Cologne/Köln in 1980 with a comic book shop. That was one of the first shops for collector's fandom to be established in Germany.

In the middle of this page you can see that shop from the outside. http://the-black-gift.com/2017/09/eroeffnung-des-taschen-stores-in-koeln-signierstunde-christo/ 

Later one the shop looked like this (first pic): http://www.gg-magazine.com/2015/06/35-jahre-taschen/

Here are pics of the insides of the first shop (with Benedikt) and of a "TASCHEN" Store in Berlin as of today: https://www.horstson.de/kein-sale-in-springfield/2017/06/

Another pic from 1980: http://www.netzwerk-fotoarchive.de/ullstein-bild/taschen-benedikt-comic-haendler-d-mit-comic-heften-in-seinem-laden-in-koeln/

I don't know him personally, I just wanted to share the comic book background.

Have fun

/P.

I bought the GA book this weekend at Costco. What a great deal and I wouldn't have known about it if not for this thread. Thanks, Mitch.

The book is big but not too big and it's very well made with all glossy pages. I especially liked seeing the interior art from some of the pre-hero comics.

I even learned that Walt Kelly did work on New Comics #2 (a great 2 page spread very similar to his later Fairy Tale work for Dell).

I got the enormous History of D.C. Comics produced by the same person

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/3836554569/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513096762&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=history+of+dc+comics&dpPl=1&dpID=61sQhNKzVQL&ref=plSrch

. Is there any additional information in the smaller volumes at Costco or did they just break it int more manageable volumes?

3 hours ago, ender said:

I got the enormous History of D.C. Comics produced by the same person

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/3836554569/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513096762&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=history+of+dc+comics&dpPl=1&dpID=61sQhNKzVQL&ref=plSrch

. Is there any additional information in the smaller volumes at Costco or did they just break it int more manageable volumes?

They appear to be all part of the big book, but the 3 volumes for under 20 bucks each are more manageable to read and take with you. I have a second recommendation.......I should receive  it by Dec 18, and again it is a mind blowing deal.....From amazon..91 bucks, free shipping if you can wait a couple of extra days, and use your rebate credit card to save 1-1.5%...."FORTH WORLD JACK KIRBY OMNIBUS....HARDCOVER...get this 1,538 pages...over 9 pounds of comic book bliss...I really like the way they color and page quality of these DC editions...they are first rate....again less than 1 cent per page...mind blowing

43 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

They appear to be all part of the big book, but the 3 volumes for under 20 bucks each are more manageable to read and take with you. I have a second recommendation.......I should receive  it by Dec 18, and again it is a mind blowing deal.....From amazon..91 bucks, free shipping if you can wait a couple of extra days, and use your rebate credit card to save 1-1.5%...."FORTH WORLD JACK KIRBY OMNIBUS....HARDCOVER...get this 1,538 pages...over 9 pounds of comic book bliss...I really like the way they color and page quality of these DC editions...they are first rate....again less than 1 cent per page...mind blowing

Yea they have to be easier to handle.  Mine is great but it is a sitting at a desk sort of book, not a reading in bed or relaxing outside book.

I've picked up all 3 of these Taschen books over the last month and the SA/BA Marvel volume they just released is next on my list. Visually, they're wonderful, but the layout can be confusing trying to track down the correct caption for images. The information is fascinating, although it doesn't flow like a book (especially the Bronze Age volume), but a series of sidebars (again, a little frustrating when you're bouncing around the page trying to match captions with images, not to mention the brief paragraphs don't really give you enough context to frame the various milestones in DC's continuity). It also felt like everything was just smashed together as there's not really much to separate the content into different sections (you'd think the BA would have a section on Horror, Romance, Batman, etc. but it all just kind of runs together). I suppose if these were just pulled from the larger volume it would explain why it feels incomplete and unorganized, especially given the visual content is top-notch. Still, these are excellent books for the price and I'm thoroughly enjoying them.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else has all 3. I picked up my GA book at the local B&N off the shelf and it came with a gold foil dustjacket over a plain clothbound book. I ordered the SA and BA volumes through Costco's site after I couldn't find them in the store, but these books are printed straight onto the cover with no dustjacket. The spine layout is still the same (and pretty neat with all 3 lined up) and I don't mind the printed covers, but just wondering if there are dustjacket versions of the SA and BA volumes or a printed-cover version of the GA. My guess is there is an "economy" release for the discount chain whereas B&N got the DJ trim, which is probably more of a standard version. 

Also, Amazon has lowered their price on all 3 to $24.99 (was $40-50 in December) which matches Costco's price online (although shipping was included in Costco's price), but I'm hesitant to recommend ordering directly from Amazon these days as their care in shipping books has gotten extremely poor over the years.