• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cover Girls: An Appreciation for Women on Comic Book Photo Covers
1 1

52 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, jpepx78 said:

Cover Girls: An Appreciation for Women on Comic Book Photo Covers

Part 2
Hazel Brooks

Hazel Brooks (1924-2002) was born in South Africa, moved to Boston and was a young New York model in 1941. In late 1941 she was signed by a talent agent from MGM studios and moved to Hollywood. In Hollywood she meets and eventually marries the head art director of MGM Studios Cedric Gibbons in 1944. Eyebrows were raised and the couple became tabloid fodder since Gibbons was 51 and she was 19 when they married. Another famous Hollywood couple with a large age difference who married was Humphrey Bogart who at age 44 married Lauren Bacall when she was 19 in 1945.

Many people believe the cover to Spirit 22 was based on Lauren Bacall. However I found a picture of Hazel in a similar pose to that cover that Eisner could have used as a photo reference.
KU9DAK6y_o.jpg u3SplVHr_o.jpg

In the book Will Eisner: A Spirited Life, when Eisner was asked about the model for the “Skinny Bones” character on the cover of Spirit 22, he said she was based on a woman whom Eisner once dated who happened to look a lot like Lauren Bacall. It is unknown if Eisner knew Hazel but she left New York for Hollywood in 1942 and she would have been a teenager at the time.

Sensational find! Hard to believe that she wasn't his model for Spirit 22. 

26 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

There is a very nice copy of Forbidden Love #1 (the sultriest Hazel Brooks cover) in the upcoming ComicConnect auction.

One of my favorites.  Here's my copy, purchased raw from @jimjum12 as a 7.0.  

6ebc33fd-7aed-417f-a069-db08fb7fd02f_zpsxfbr09ft.JPG