• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Top 3 pick ups of 2017
7 7

239 posts in this topic

So many terrific books! (That Cap #1… :cloud9: )

If I have to go by rarity/toughness for me to acquire, they would be these three:

My first Timely (a Cap #19). No Kirby but awesome art and stories.
yU7u3Wkh.jpg

The beautiful center-spread:
QFMGD7ph.jpg

Spirou reliure for the year run 1944
(including the famous "Liberation" issue with american soldiers on cover. And Superman too… :cool:)
K0wQZqah.jpg
qHCeTmlh.jpg

And this awesome rarity: Waldl’s cartoon book "Lacht ihn tot!" ("Laugh him dead") from 1937 in the rarer hardbound edition and in incredible shape.
Waldl (Walter Hoffman) worked for the SS Journal "De Schwarze Korps" for which he did cartoons with nasty satire directed towards hebrews, the catholic church and bolshevism (there is even a cartoon about Goering). After the war he was arrested and spent time in an Allied POW camp, an experience he recollected in a following cartoon book done in 1947 but published in the 1950s.
IW6ScwRh.jpg

1io7xjVh.jpg

This is the softcover edition, which I already had (I will have a copy for sale in my upcoming "worldwide WW2 thread"):
QHWmQXql.jpg

Anti-catholic satire from the insides:
aGrYKPZl.jpg

3 hours ago, vaillant said:

So many terrific books! (That Cap #1… :cloud9: )

If I have to go by rarity/toughness for me to acquire, they would be these three:

My first Timely (a Cap #19). No Kirby but awesome art and stories.
yU7u3Wkh.jpg

The beautiful center-spread:
QFMGD7ph.jpg

Spirou reliure for the year run 1944
(including the famous "Liberation" issue with american soldiers on cover. And Superman too… :cool:)
K0wQZqah.jpg
qHCeTmlh.jpg

And this awesome rarity: Waldl’s cartoon book "Lacht ihn tot!" ("Laugh him dead") from 1937 in the rarer hardbound edition and in incredible shape.
Waldl (Walter Hoffman) worked for the SS Journal "De Schwarze Korps" for which he did cartoons with nasty satire directed towards hebrews, the catholic church and bolshevism (there is even a cartoon about Goering). After the war he was arrested and spent time in an Allied POW camp, an experience he recollected in a following cartoon book done in 1947 but published in the 1950s.
IW6ScwRh.jpg

1io7xjVh.jpg

This is the softcover edition, which I already had (I will have a copy for sale in my upcoming "worldwide WW2 thread"):
QHWmQXql.jpg

Anti-catholic satire from the insides:
aGrYKPZl.jpg

VERY COOL stuff Brother as always!! 

8 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

this pick-up sorta came out of the blue, and necessitates a change to my top-3 on page 1.  i love the target too much to drop it, so the ww 6 is subbed out for this one.

ww13-1.jpg.d505b294e9ae63428ea975d9f63e4381.jpg

Good Golly miss Molly that is AWESOME!! This is what I must have looked like this morning when my son crawled into bed with me at 0400 and asked me if I was ready to get up :cloud9:lol

5 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Beautiful book, Billy! (worship)

I still got my mint copy of HA's Intelligent Collector with my man Tim beaming out from the pages .............. NFS ....................GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Very cool!
Love the Manly Wade Wellman paperback as well. Is that uncommon?

Better pictures of the comic item I am most excited about – I never saw an hardcover copy previously, except from this one that was in less nice shape than mine!
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/24136473_nazi-anti-semitic-anti-bolshevik-joke-book

uUfZKkF.jpg

ZhdH2Hg.jpg

Many of the early '50s UK 'mushroom jungle' (small publishers sprouting in dank dark alleys...) books are kinda scarce. They did spell Manly's name wrong. Though I was originally attracted to the MJ SF PBs by USA reprints like this (nice pulp repackagings are one of my specialties - Startling cov shown that I don't own) soon John Russell Fearn and E C Tubb (Brit SF writers) also crowded my want list, after reading some of their novels and finding them excellent. My want list is much smaller now which makes the fact that I just got in a Fearn (Statten) and a Tubb into quite the score. Plus another of my bumper crop of maskettes from 2017.

STARTLJAN1942.jpg