• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is an 8.0?

22 posts in this topic

I would think the age (and/or scarcity) of the book would have more emphasis on the grade.

Plus it's from the "old blue" label era (has enough time passed to call it an era?).

At any rate, I agree that an 8.0 is waay to generous.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey, maybe that corner damage happened AFTER encapsulation...or because of it????tongue.gif

Rick

Did it get some forgiveness because it's a Rockford?

I think the forgiveness factor comes into play because the rest of the book looks flawless...

I've seen several books like this and if there were other accumilating factors then the grade would have been lower....

Methinks this could have been also designated as a Q 9.X ... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think the forgiveness factor comes into play because the rest of the book looks flawless...

Isn't that what the Qualified grade is for?

Jim

Jim

Maybe they requested a lesser grade in order to get a blue label???...

Jim

Maybe they requested a lesser grade in order to get a blue label???...

893whatthe.gif Can you do that?

I've noticed that CGC doesn't downgrade too harshly for chipping on GA books like this one, I suspect it's because it's most likely a production defect and as noted above, the rest of the book looks great (aka "9.4"). I just got this book back, and it came back at 7.0 with the two chips out of the bottom edge near the right corner.

terrorsofthejungle19.jpg

I agree with Banner that they didn't downgrade it harder because they considered it a bindary chip. Big and ugly yes, but very possibly a bindary chip.

CGCs criteria for assigning a qualified label has changed since they first opened their doors. I know one collector who received a GLOD for a half inch tear on the back cover in CGCs early days. I received a green label for a book with a tiny chip out of the back cover and tanning to the interior covers. You can't so much "request" that a book given a GLOD be downgraded and given a blue label, but if the defects present no longer fit their criteria for qualified, they'll automatically give you the universal label on a resub.

The Overstreet grading guide allows bindery tears of up to 1/4 inch on golden age books all the way up to 9.4. If the rest of the book is flawless and this bindery chip is the only major defect, I have no problem with CGC calling this an 8.0.

I've seen several books like this and if there were other accumilating factors then the grade would have been lower....

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i tend to agree with this opinion.

the concept of that "Chunk" being a bindery event is an interesting one, but how can they make that call??? confused.gif

The Overstreet grading guide allows bindery tears of up to 1/4 inch on golden age books all the way up to 9.4. If the rest of the book is flawless and this bindery chip is the only major defect, I have no problem with CGC calling this an 8.0.

I also agree. I received a 9.0 score on a GA book that had a very small chip at the bottom of the book near the spine (the rest of the book was flawless). Another GA book I sent in looked like a 9.2 but with a 1/2" spine split at top. It came back a 7.5 as I expected. The only thing that CGC will severely downgrade for are stains. A glossy 7.5-8.0 looking book with a quarter inch stain on the inside of the front cover received a 5.0 score. This book looks much nicer to me than some of my 6.0's and 6.5's that have wear along the spine, corner creases and 1/4" tears.

that doesn't look like a "bindery chip" to me, it looks like a chunk out of the cover

I'd have a tough time going beyond 5.0 on that book were I selling it raw. MAYBE 6.0 if everything else really is perfect.

is wings 31 a tough book? I always thought Wings was a book in pretty good supply, but most of mine are a little later.

I've noticed that CGC doesn't downgrade too harshly for chipping on GA books like this one, I suspect it's because it's most likely a production defect and as noted above, the rest of the book looks great (aka "9.4"). I just got this book back, and it came back at 7.0 with the two chips out of the bottom edge near the right corner.

terrorsofthejungle19.jpg

I also agree. I had a National Comics #11 Cosmic Aeroplane that was CGC 8.5 but had "bindery chips" one at top and one at bottom of spine; looked more like a 7.0 to me but I've only been into GA for a few years. Most dealers I've spoken to agree that CGC is forgiving on these types of flaws on GA, but the line seems blurred re: what is a production defect and what is just a defect.

Maybe it's just my poor grading skills, but with chunk like that out of the front cover I would never give it an 8.0. Did it get some forgiveness because it's a Rockford?

w31.jpg

this should be a 7.5 at best... a piece like that missing out of the front cover does not garner a 8.0..... if it was a piece missing inside the book.. maybe... but its my understanding defects affecting the cover or more defective to a book than inside the book.... alot goes into the defect also inside the book.. like if it affects the story etyc.... this book imp definetly got a lilttle push becasue its a rockford copy.. i've seen cgc books with the littlest of tear on the front cover only to be down graded because of that defect on the front cover.. i would push cgc to step up there game and not apply favorites to certain class of books