• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are your comic collecting goals for 2018 ?
4 4

109 posts in this topic

Now that the last auction for 2017 is behind us, what are your goals for 2018? Any particular ish you'll be hoping for? Will it be more of a "buy" or "sell" year?

Hopes and dreams. Let's have them. :popcorn:

Edited by Gotham Kid

For me, Peter, I am just hoping to add more to my collection in 2018, then I did in 2017 (which was relatively slow for me).

I definitely intend to BUY more than I SELL.  Of course, for me that doesn't take much, as I am not a seller.  I buy and collect.

I hope you have a wonderful 2018 and maybe find a TEC 27 for your already awesome collection.

I hope to make less small impulse purchases and focus in more on upgrades to books I already love.  I’m working more towards a narrow but deep collection rather than wide but shallow. 

I will rebuild my ASM run in raw fine or better within the first few months.

I need to find my Feldstein, Renee and Barks original art pieces. I just want one piece from each artist that I feel is a good representation.  

I'll be happy with just an (1) upgrade and maybe a new addition to my run. Will also try finish my Classics Illustrated set (1-169) as well as I am missing a few issues and won't mind an upgrade here and there.

Edited by Gotham Kid

In my case, having last year opted for a very narrow collecting focus, I will be fortunate to find anything at all to augment the relatively few keepers I've retained. It would have to be something I feel is very special, not merely a run filler. (Funds for comics are in any case less of a priority these days.)  On the other hand, I'm very happy with what I've got, don't ever get bored with these happy few, and greatly enjoy the vicarious thrill of watching fellow boardies achieve their diverse goals. So here's to all of you for the coming year - good hunting, one and all! :popcorn:

Wishful thinking permitted? Here you go:

Project "world": I'll try for a piece of OA from a favourite book of mine. Would be affordable, I suspect, problem is to pry it loose.

Project "home country": Since the vintage stuff I'm after most likely never will come to market (again) I'm gonna try to get an appointment with a potential new "source" (descendant of a publisher's director) I discovered and established contact with over the last two years, but, unfortunately, who's very busy with his own professional stuff. :wishluck::wishluck:

Good thing is though, both projects might as well be postponed ... I'd be fine with that.

:tink:

Edited by Pickie
wording

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

I'll be happy with just an (1) upgrade and maybe a new addition to my run. Will also try finish my Classics Illustrated set (1-169) as well as I am missing a few issues and won't mind an upgrade here and there.

You sir, unlike me are a disciplined collector.  I buy whatever catches my eye.  Been trying to change my habits but it's been difficult.  Maybe there's a 12 step for that lol.  I am trying to focus on getting a full run of Four Favourites together.  Been working on it the last couple of years and almost half way there.

My goal is to buy less stuff other than comics. Takes up too much room...

Comic wise, I want to keep working on my 3rd EC collection and upgrading books I already have. A lot of what I would like to get is just out of my range now. But, I hope to add a few more Ace, MLJ and Timely's this year.

I probably will, as I always have, buy cool books like a drunken sailor when I get the chance. 

Best holiday wishes to you all and I hope Santa brings you that special book you want!

My specific goals are

1. Finally start submitting some stuff to CGC.  I say this every year but I really want to do it.  Big question is do I get my Batman 1 graded?  If someone has an idea what it would run me, shoot me a PM.

2.  Comics - I really want to upgrade my Batman 100.  I also want to pick up a copy of Batman 4 unrestored in 6.0 to 8.0 range.  Would love to add one classic Lou Fine cover to the collection as well.

3. Non Comic items - Mars Attack Cards, add at least 5 cards to the collection.  Prices have been going up on these.  I would love to snag one piece of OA, it has been a while since I picked up anything but I have focused on only buying something I truly love.

4.  Get my bourbon out of the barrels and into the bottles. 

2 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

In my case, having last year opted for a very narrow collecting focus, I will be fortunate to find anything at all to augment the relatively few keepers I've retained. It would have to be something I feel is very special, not merely a run filler. (Funds for comics are in any case less of a priority these days.)  On the other hand, I'm very happy with what I've got, don't ever get bored with these happy few, and greatly enjoy the vicarious thrill of watching fellow boardies achieve their diverse goals. So here's to all of you for the coming year - good hunting, one and all! :popcorn:

And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here [to see Flex add that special book],

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

7 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Try to finish off the Raboy Fawcett run.  Add to my high-grade Four Colors and early 1950s DCs (in nearly any grade for many of those issues!).

Grail is to locate the last Baker St John romance book that I need.

good luck (thumbsu

31 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Try to finish off the Raboy Fawcett run.  Add to my high-grade Four Colors and early 1950s DCs (in nearly any grade for many of those issues!).

Grail is to locate the last Baker St John romance book that I need.

wow ! just one to go ... i hope you get it soon !! probably like getting a hole in one in golf though......

My goal is to try and focus my collection.  Right now I buy anything that catches my eye. lol  I have seriously been thinking about dumping all of my silver age collection and really focusing in on GGA, PCH and Pre Code Sci-Fi.  

And now to completely contradict what I just wrote, I want to keep working on my Dave Stevens 9.8 collection. :roflmao: 

10 minutes ago, SECollector said:

It´s really nice to read everyones goals!

For my part, I will be happy if I add three books this year: an Avengers #4, a Daredevil #1 and either a Strange Tales #110 or a Hulk #181. The first 3 in 6.5-7.5 and the Hulk #181 in VF+.

Great choices. Good luck ! (thumbsu

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

My specific goals are

1. Finally start submitting some stuff to CGC.  I say this every year but I really want to do it.  Big question is do I get my Batman 1 graded?  If someone has an idea what it would run me, shoot me a PM.

2.  Comics - I really want to upgrade my Batman 100.  I also want to pick up a copy of Batman 4 unrestored in 6.0 to 8.0 range.  Would love to add one classic Lou Fine cover to the collection as well.

3. Non Comic items - Mars Attack Cards, add at least 5 cards to the collection.  Prices have been going up on these.  I would love to snag one piece of OA, it has been a while since I picked up anything but I have focused on only buying something I truly love.

4.  Get my bourbon out of the barrels and into the bottles. 

:headbang: