• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Holiday Giveaway

41 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, toro said:

ff6.jpg.f7b2c0b45531761529ea6aa1072c8614.jpg

Like many Golden age books this is just creepy.  I've always wondered what kind of pharmaceuticals some of the Golden age artists were partaking in at that time.

Me, too. Some are just insane. Still can't believe when they were drawn- when I show my non comic friends they are always in disbelief 

Happy to add to this great assembly  

Startling Terror 11

This is the first non EC precode horror book I picked up. I just could not resist. And I bought it on these very boards. ?

-LB Cole was a master of cover art. Often. The comic cover alone is worth the price of admission. 

-This is actually a rehash of one of his earlier Suspense covers but I consider this piece to be superior. The blood red background adds a sense of visual heat to the scene. That guy is totally dead. His face is green. That grinning skull spider is just such a wild image. What a creature!

-This is top of the line precode horror right here at its finest! Those floating heads and even the rough condition of this copy all add to its charm. I always thought the discoloration on the bottom right was spider venom seeping it's way through the newsprint and into the pores of your comic collecting fingers. It's an amazing world and comics seem to make it even better, even monster ones! ?

-Christian

image.jpeg

Edited by Darth Corgi
Spelling.

39 minutes ago, Darth Corgi said:

Happy to add to this great assembly  

Startling Terror 11

This is the first non EC precode horror book I picked up. I just could not resist. And I bought it on these very boards. ?

-LB Cole was a master of cover art. Often. The comic cover alone is worth the price of admission. 

-This is actually a rehash of one of his earlier Suspense covers but I consider this piece to be superior. The blood red background adds a sense of visual heat to the scene. That guy is totally dead. His face is green. That grinning skull spider is just such a wild image. What a creature!

-This is top of the line precode horror right here at its finest! Those floating heads and even the rough condition of this copy all add to its charm. I always thought the discoloration on the bottom right was spider venom seeping it's way through the newsprint and into the pores of your comic collecting fingers. It's an amazing world and comics seem to make it even better, even monster ones! ?

-Christian

image.jpeg

Missed an opportunity to by a slabbed 5.0 for 750 a year ago :(

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Come on, let's show this guy some weird books!

First up is this Roly Poly #14. One of my favorite horror covers with a bit of humor!

Second is Alice #10. Polliticaly incorrect black rag doll spanking cover. Great weirdness that is Ziff Davis. Why this doesn't go for big bucks is beyond me...

Third is Daredevil #11. Probably also politically incorrect. Off the hook weird. Bondage, foot fetitsh, hunchback dude. Love the insane folks in the cages, nice touch as only Biro could portray. "Slap the Jap" is also a bit off color as well.

And even though I have one, I'll throw my hat into the ring as I know a local kid who is getting into GA comics. He is has a large collection of EC reprints and would probably love an original pch.

comrolypoly.jpg

comalice10.jpg

comdaredevil11.jpg

And the winner of the contest is.......Robot Man!!!! Love the books but better yet that the comic will go to a newbie in our hobby.

I will officially close the thread around midnight so those know who won and others can still post.

And don't forget if any of you want to sell any of those cool issues well....:whistle:

Greg

21 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

One of my fave obscure GA covers would be Anarcho, Dictator of Death. Oddball Timely one-shot filed under C for 'Comics Novel' #1:

Y1fJIWg.jpg

One last thing......

As a runner up prize, Jim, I have sent you a $15 Amazon gift card via email. 

Best wishes this holiday season to your family.