• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tonfulle-84 Stan Lee forgeries on eBay
5 5

369 posts in this topic

On 6/26/2022 at 12:00 PM, Boomboomha! said:

An acquaintance of mine just discovered this forum after he had already ordered books from Tonfulle-84. Sadly its past the Ebay return item period and he and his friend are the two recent people who placed negative feedback on his Ebay page. Anyways they are spreading Tonfulle's real name and address in case you see him posting items on FB, IG and other sites/app. I don't know if its allowed in this forum but here it is : Tonfulle-84 real name and address : Anthony Fuller 62 Keelie Hall Rd. Montgomery AL 

Thanks for sharing this. Tonfulle-84 has sold hundreds, if not thousands, of suspect Stan Lee and Jack Kirby signatures over the years. He has a never ending supply of alleged Stan Lee and Jack Kirby signatures on dollar bin books. Just a look through his eBay offerings… With the sheer volume it’s seemingly impossible for these to be authentic signatures. His offerings routinely fail professional authentication. It’s astonishing that he’s still cranking these out year after year. And the victims who purchase these books… It almost never seems to strike them that they are getting the signatures for a small fraction of what authentic signatures would typically sell for. 

I have noticed he has upped his game recently and his Jack Kirby fakes have improved.He’s starting to do more on the inside cover and the signature itself, while still undoubtedly fake in my opinion, it’s a slightly more deceptive version than the crude fakes he sold previously.

On 6/26/2022 at 9:33 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

Thanks for sharing this. Tonfulle-84 has sold hundreds, if not thousands, of suspect Stan Lee and Jack Kirby signatures over the years. He has a never ending supply of alleged Stan Lee and Jack Kirby signatures on dollar bin books. Just a look through his eBay offerings… With the sheer volume it’s seemingly impossible for these to be authentic signatures. His offerings routinely fail professional authentication. It’s astonishing that he’s still cranking these out year after year. And the victims who purchase these books… It almost never seems to strike them that they are getting the signatures for a small fraction of what authentic signatures would typically sell for. 

I have noticed he has upped his game recently and his Jack Kirby fakes have improved.He’s starting to do more on the inside cover and the signature itself, while still undoubtedly fake in my opinion, it’s a slightly more deceptive version than the crude fakes he sold previously.

In the 1990s, a friend bought a lot unseen at an auction, and in it were several hundred "autographed" Mike Tyson 8x10s. On the back was a stamp indicating the signatures were frauds and these had been used in a criminal proceeding as evidence.  People ate them up and he raised his price a few times before he sold out.

People wanted a cheap Tyson signature and for $10-$25 didn't seem to care it was fake.   Somethings are just mind-bottling, as they say.

On 1/29/2023 at 10:51 PM, mattn792 said:

I checked in on Cornholio, and at least on eBay, he has nothing currently listed and has taken his feedback private.

If you search on him, he has been exposed on this site and in plenty of other high profile forums. What a lot of autograph scammers do when they are exposed on eBay is they start distributing through etsy, local auction houses, antique shops, etc. It's too much money to just walk away from. 

On 1/30/2023 at 10:26 PM, postersandstuff said:

some dillhole from Atlanta has like 35 (!!!) different accounts selling fake autographs , and thats just ONE dealer........

No doubt there are a lot of criminals making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year selling poor worthless fakes. Desperate collectors looking for bargains is a target rich environment. 

On 2/1/2023 at 3:06 PM, jcjames said:

Anybody ever see a "non-CGC grading company" verify the authenticity of one of these fake Lee or Kirby signatures on worthless drek books? 

Generally, the TPAs recognize and reject tonfulle-84’s creations. However, it would not be surprising if a few have slipped through. 

ironic that Piece of the Past calls themselves for being honest and that other dealers steal peoples items.....oh , the irony (POTP owner accused several times of theft , I dont believe for a second he lost 1000s worth of Rocky Horror stuff just like that , from Scott M.....source Starworld yelp review)

I suspect "Johnny Utah" is POTPs alias on fb , he advertises Hollywood Show events. Fact is 1. he was in Vegas at that date and 2. he mailed me fakes. Doesnt matter that it was done thru HS , Kevin Martin had my items last. Then in 2019 (8 yrs after my HS pre order) I see some fool on ebay trying to sell 2 of my items that KM claimed to me (like he did to Scott) he'd lost......he has a bad habit of "losing" peoples items , huh  

The Meriwethers Hollywood Show has on ebay appears similar to autopenned junk KM mailed me......according to Hwood Reporter Elkouby had a Bruce Lee Game outfit in his poss , that costume was a fake (wrong neck/armpit seams& baggy.....real one was snug fit leotard) and it sold thru spinks 2013 auction for 100k (!!!) , spinks was told but did nothing to stop this. Elkouby is a scammer & arrested twice : 90s alleged stolen movie props & 2019 for theft/drugs by BPD

Edited by postersandstuff

On 2/1/2023 at 12:06 PM, jcjames said:

Anybody ever see a "non-CGC grading company" verify the authenticity of one of these fake Lee or Kirby signatures on worthless drek books? 

Yup. It happens-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295506530076

This one on eBay is a terrible tonfulle fake that got through PSA/DNA. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325450118316?hash=item4bc656b4ac:g:RqEAAOSwYTxjjNiD&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAkOXDOvK84JIkhF9R2GBGep7ite208qosp0ohq240qgaC4kx%2FK%2BlPhyK9SL3urbA99A2UmWSDZRmVbEOv%2FA1RPmMVgdo%2F%2FxrAyCiGJ1pXLxTWn9BCZciAuNXEY2xWJgW6X4dxF%2B1Oev%2F2sa523Qn00pp0SlQSwXFQY5gB3KU5y1WlQQNtwdTxcurGeXE%2BYS5tWw%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR-T2hdDCYQ 

This one that sold on eBay is a really well done fake that got through PSA/DNA. 

And then there's CGC's Portland-based competitor - they "certified" a bunch of awful Lee, Kirby, Bob Kane, and Ditko fakes until they decided to stop. 

Edited by eee91

On 2/2/2023 at 9:03 PM, eee91 said:

Yup. It happens-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295506530076

This one on eBay is a terrible tonfulle fake that got through PSA/DNA. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325450118316?hash=item4bc656b4ac:g:RqEAAOSwYTxjjNiD&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAkOXDOvK84JIkhF9R2GBGep7ite208qosp0ohq240qgaC4kx%2FK%2BlPhyK9SL3urbA99A2UmWSDZRmVbEOv%2FA1RPmMVgdo%2F%2FxrAyCiGJ1pXLxTWn9BCZciAuNXEY2xWJgW6X4dxF%2B1Oev%2F2sa523Qn00pp0SlQSwXFQY5gB3KU5y1WlQQNtwdTxcurGeXE%2BYS5tWw%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR-T2hdDCYQ 

This one that sold on eBay is a really well done fake that got through PSA/DNA. 

And then there's CGC's Portland-based competitor - they "certified" a bunch of awful Lee, Kirby, Bob Kane, and Ditko fakes until they decided to stop. 

Good eye @eee91. I agree with your assessment. The first is an unskilled tonfulle-84 fake. 

The second is more deceptive, but in my opinion it is signed too carefully and deliberately. Possibly a skilled trace job? In my opinion, the jury is still out on the Lee. The Kirby is of the most concern. 

1. The book was published in 1987. By 1987, Kirby's signature had deteriorated significantly. Yet, the signature and sentiment in the book is a late 60s / 70s style signature.
  2. The location of the signatures is a big clue. You have modern Ayers and Sinnott con signed signatures on the title page. If it was real, based on the signature styles, Kirby and Lee would have had to have signed first.  And if Kirby and Lee signed first, why would they be on the page facing the title page? Doesn't add up. 

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Mr. Zipper
clarification

On 2/3/2023 at 6:36 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

Good eye @eee91. I agree with your assessment. The first is an unskilled tonfulle-84 fake. 

The second is more deceptive, but in my opinion it is signed too carefully and deliberately. Possibly a skilled trace job. A fake Lee and Kirby added to authentic Sinnott and Ayers. The forger made two critical mistakes that are dead giveaways. 

1. The book was published in 1987. By 1987, Kirby's signature had deteriorated significantly. Yet, the signature and sentiment in the book is a late 60s / 70s style signature.
  2. The location of the signatures is a big clue. You have modern Ayers and Sinnott con signed signatures on the title page. If it was real, based on the signature styles, Kirby and Lee would have had to have signed first.  And if Kirby and Lee signed first, why would they be on the page facing the title page? Doesn't add up. The simplest answer is a forger added those signatures.

s-l1600.jpg

Couldn't the Ayers and Sinnot  autographs have come first?

On 2/3/2023 at 8:45 AM, shadroch said:

Couldn't the Ayers and Sinnot  autographs have come first?

Highly doubtful. Based on those styles, Ayers and Sinnott look like 90s or early 2000s signature styles. The Kirby would have to predate those.

Also, who would add Ayers and Sinnott to this book BEFORE adding Jack and Stan? Doesn't add up. 

Another thing I didn't mention is that there is no personalization is a red flag. Jack often signed "Best Wishes to Joe" (or whatever). Not conclusive on its own, but another red flag to throw on the pile. 

In my experience, if one has to twist yourself into a pretzel trying to explain away red flags, there's likely a problem. Instead, take the Occam's Razor approach and reach the conclusion that, at the least, the Kirby is suspect.

Edited by Mr. Zipper

Agree 100% with Mr. Zipper. The biggest red flag is the Kirby sig from the wrong era. 

The other red flag is the suspicious behavior of the seller. "dbayin46" tries to hide their previous feedback, but seemingly has an unlimited well of Lee and Kirby sigs. 

Above-average fakes, but fakes nonetheless.

I ran across this alleged Jack Kirby + Stan Lee Signed FF 71 on eBay. I could not help but think of the previous Masterworks that was questioned. Some striking similarities. Superficially, both are pretty close, but they both appear a touch too slow and deliberate. hm

280397660_Screenshot2023-03-19115028.thumb.jpg.7c30fccbd7c195c6d74343c0154734d4.jpg

946861730_LeeStan-forgery028.thumb.jpg.d0d0689a25b826ffa182a61bd381eaa8.jpg

954880405_KirbyJackSUSPECT025.thumb.jpg.0ff1133c86001f6eca2ff0b6a0e532c3.jpg

The seller, gigu-lis also has other suspect items including this Lee + Boseman Black Panther

478463461_Screenshot2023-03-19120314.jpg.0dc22773863831eb4e12067a243706b3.jpg

gigu-lis is located in "Atlanta, New York, United States" on his eBay listing.

Interestingly, a seller with a similar name, algig-5141, who is also located in "Atlanta, New York, United States" is offering this suspect FF 92 also purportedly signed by Lee and Kirby. 

1216969848_Screenshot2023-03-19120050.thumb.jpg.9436275c1ae174cceac48961449ecbd7.jpg

Edited by Mr. Zipper