• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magic Eraser and Comics
1 1

17 posts in this topic

This morning I saw some "interesting" posts of Facebook...A guy showing a "before and after" picture of his House of Secrets #92 before and after he used a Magic Eraser on it.

There were others who commented, some saying it is resto, some saying it is not, some people posting they too have done it and how...Personally, I would never do this to a comic...I have heard about the white bread technique and/or your basic eraser but a Magic Eraser?

I wonder though can CGC "detect"?  I don't want any Mr. Clean(ed) comics... 

Edited by Wall-Crawler

I mean, aren't Magic Erasers essentially some sort of finely ground sandpaper? I wouldn't let them near a comic book, but what do I know?

12 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I mean, aren't Magic Erasers essentially some sort of finely ground sandpaper? I wouldn't let them near a comic book, but what do I know?

Magic Erasers are actually made of melamine foam, which has been used for decades as an insulation and soundproofing material. About 10 years ago, some smarty-pants discovered that melamine foam was also an effective abrasive cleaner! It works because when melamine resin cures into foam, its microstructure becomes almost as hard as glass — causing it to act like a SUPER-fine sandpaper on stains. The abrasive foam loosens up dirt and grime, and the open microstructure of the foam sucks it in and traps it there.

5 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Magic Erasers are actually made of melamine foam, which has been used for decades as an insulation and soundproofing material. About 10 years ago, some smarty-pants discovered that melamine foam was also an effective abrasive cleaner! It works because when melamine resin cures into foam, its microstructure becomes almost as hard as glass — causing it to act like a SUPER-fine sandpaper on stains. The abrasive foam loosens up dirt and grime, and the open microstructure of the foam sucks it in and traps it there.

Well!

maxresdefault.jpg

I can't possibly see how this wouldn't be damaging.  Do they not use the recommended water when they use them on comic books?

1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Post photos.

At work right now. I would have to crop screen shot at home but the post is still up on the Low Grade Comic Collectors! And BST group

Just wondering if this is an isolated thing or not...Thing is, once stupid stuff like this gets in the wind on FB or wherever I am sure there will be others who will now try it...

Edited by Wall-Crawler

I use them on painted walls all the time, they take off scuff marks, but they don't work unless you wet them. At least they haven't worked on walls unless they were wet. They also work for magic marker on painted surfaces, but I add baking soda...which also doesn't do anything unless you wet it;) 

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I use them on painted walls all the time, they take off scuff marks, but they don't work unless you wet them. At least they haven't worked on walls unless they were wet. They also work for magic marker on painted surfaces, but I add baking soda...which also doesn't do anything unless you wet it;) 

Great for cleaning keyboards, and I've done this with them dry.