• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Feb 22-24 Heritage Auction Thread
4 4

552 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, BCarter27 said:

In OA, you don't snipe or bid live at the last minute. Instead, you bid insanely right at the start of the auction and then go back to your main job of melting the polar ice caps in order to uncover more oil.

But is that a difference between OA and comic collectors or between the two systems of eBay and heritage.  

To me, eBay is ripe for sniping either for OA or comic as it ends at a specific time. Whereas on Herutage the auction goes on until there are no higher bidders (at least for more a number or seconds at the end), so sniping isn’t really much of an option. 

9 minutes ago, awayne83 said:

Noob here. What's this buyers premium? Don't HA get a cut from the seller? And does is this premium included when people talk about what a piece sold for? 

If a piece sells for 1,000, before any breaks on fees (which do happen depending on how much you consign), the final price paid by the buyer is 1,195.      That extra 195 is called the buyer's premium.    It is included in what the buyer pays so yes, conversation at large about past data points includes that figure.

Yes, heritage also gets a cut from the seller.   So in lieu of any breaks, if I remember correctly, the buyer payers heritage 195, the seller pays heritage 195, the seller gets the rest.    So 805 to the seller and 390 to heritage.

Again, that's the most the fees can be.   They can be less.

30 minutes ago, awayne83 said:

Noob here. What's this buyers premium? Don't HA get a cut from the seller? And does is this premium included when people talk about what a piece sold for? 

Heritage also calculates the Buyer's premium for you when you bid, so you see the full amount you're bidding when you're bidding. It doesn't get added on later. 

7 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

I have certain artists that I hoard, but even within that group I have to be selective. So I would pass if you have a better example already. Something will come up down the road.

That's my feeling. I wish it were better. That's the only issue of the Phantom Stranger in which Adams did the interior art.

Interesting bit of trivia about that page, if you are interested. Did you notice the suspension bridge? It's modeled after the only large suspension bridge in the world which doesn't use steel as main support towers: the Brooklyn Bridge. 

7 hours ago, BCarter27 said:
7 hours ago, Skizz said:

I’ve only recently gotten into both OA and comics.

just out of curiousity, in what way are they different. 

In OA, you don't snipe or bid live at the last minute. Instead, you bid insanely right at the start of the auction and then go back to your main job of melting the polar ice caps in order to uncover more oil.

Then, when you win your page, you put it in a portfolio and never look at it again.

lol^^

It's always hilarious/amazing watching the bids on OA jump right from the start. 

It's so unlike the cagey bidding on comics. 

7 hours ago, Skizz said:

But is that a difference between OA and comic collectors or between the two systems of eBay and heritage.  

To me, eBay is ripe for sniping either for OA or comic as it ends at a specific time. Whereas on Herutage the auction goes on until there are no higher bidders (at least for more a number or seconds at the end), so sniping isn’t really much of an option. 

No, the bidding on comics on Heritage is still pretty cagey, even though as you rightly point out you can't really snipe a book on Heritage (if your competitors are at the live auction).

Don't forget to put in your guesses for this Heritage auction:

http://comicarttracker.com/en/heritage-auctions/2018-02-23/guess

http://comicarttracker.com/en/heritage-auctions/2018-02-24/guess

Use top-right filters to see all art with existing guesses, and don't forget to click on "save my guesses". :nyah:

May the Force be with you!

13 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

That's my feeling. I wish it were better. That's the only issue of the Phantom Stranger in which Adams did the interior art.

Interesting bit of trivia about that page, if you are interested. Did you notice the suspension bridge? It's modeled after the only large suspension bridge in the world which doesn't use steel as main support towers: the Brooklyn Bridge. 

I actually like the piece because of the bridge and the after and before middle panels. 

15 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

That's the only issue of the Phantom Stranger in which Adams did the interior art.

That would influence me somewhat, but going through the issue, there are about 5-6 pages I would own before this one. Yes, they would be exponentially more expensive. So you have to decide what your budget is.

15 hours ago, tth2 said:

lol^^

It's always hilarious/amazing watching the bids on OA jump right from the start. 

It's so unlike the cagey bidding on comics. 

I suspect the bidding on OA is just as cagey.    But more seller driven than buyer driven :whistle:

Edited by Bronty

Now that the auction has started, I've finally taken the time to review the lots in their entirety, and noticed there's some really interesting Thor pieces up for grabs:

What are your thoughts on the Thor pieces above? 

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Now that the auction has started, I've finally taken the time to review the lots in their entirety, and noticed there's some really interesting Thor pieces up for grabs:

What are your thoughts on the Thor pieces above? 

In regard to Kirby, all I can say is he pretty much came up with the entire Marvel ensemble 

11 hours ago, Bronty said:

I suspect the bidding on OA is just as cagey.    But more seller driven than buyer driven :whistle:

I thought Burkey/Romitaman promised no more bid-rigging by him and his cronies?

4 hours ago, batman_fan said:
4 hours ago, tth2 said:

I thought Burkey/Romitaman promised no more bid-rigging by him and his cronies?

lol now thats funny

But... but.. he said so publicly on these Boards! 

20 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

That would influence me somewhat, but going through the issue, there are about 5-6 pages I would own before this one. Yes, they would be exponentially more expensive. So you have to decide what your budget is.

For a better page I would consider more. 

I was wondering what is driving the bidding on this one: 

John Byrne Wonder Woman V2#108 Story Page Original Art (DC, 1996)....   

Right now, bidding is at $440 plus buyer's premium. In 2009, the same piece went for $107.55, with the BP. It's not an action shot, although it does have WW in it (with a mediocre Phantom Stranger image), and the art is nice. But that's quite an increase, even if WW art is hot these days, particularly with the closing so far away. And if anyone is wondering, I'm not one of the bidders.

Edited by Rick2you2