• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, csaag said:

She prob comes alot cheaper than what Scarlett would want to get paid.  Poss she wants to do other roles and not be tied to another multi pic deal?

I honestly believe Scarlet Johansson, like Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr, is happy with her MCU character's final journey/arc and is ready to pass the baton to somebody else. Unlike what Tom Holland has said about being Spidey, I don't imagine ScarJo wants to be playing a superhero for the rest of her life.

2 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Here's an article about Disney and physical media. It's a little old but it's pretty thorough.

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/080720-1600

I remember that. It's a great website.

Also, I've noticed the existing Disney 4k discs have come down in price at places like Target, Best Buy and Amazon. That's not like The House of Mouse.

23 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Here's an article about Disney and physical media. It's a little old but it's pretty thorough.

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/080720-1600

Doesn't the paragraph below from your article suggest that Black Widow WILL get an Ultra HD release?  This bit lists several exceptions with Marvel and Star Wars being among them.  It seems to mostly say they're not planning to convert older movies to 4K disc.

In essence, my sources said, beyond new release theatrical titles, animated fare from Disney and Pixar, or Star Wars and Marvel-related projects, there were no plans at the studio going forward to release titles on physical 4K Ultra HD—future releases would be 4K Digital only.

39 minutes ago, paperheart said:

>$100 million would be quite a feat. will be the first to hit $200 million US this year, Shang- Chi will be 2nd. 

Well noting how far ahead we are from where those other movies were in a pandemic - any shock this will potentially be higher?

56 minutes ago, D84 said:

And the Eternals will be luck to break $20 million. 

Perhaps, but regardless of box office revenue, I’m optimistic that it will be a good 🎥.

6 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Doesn't the paragraph below from your article suggest that Black Widow WILL get an Ultra HD release?  This bit lists several exceptions with Marvel and Star Wars being among them.  It seems to mostly say they're not planning to convert older movies to 4K disc.

I hope you're right, but Disney's ultimate plan is to make their streaming channel the place to watch all Disney product. Its not just about Marvel, Disney now owns the Twentieth Century Fox library, and they have no plans to release those films on physical media. That's a helluva lot of classic films to hold hostage.

If this movie does remotely well (and I think it will), why wouldn't Scarlett Johansson sign on to do more?

There could be a 3-4 more movies that are all set as prequels taking place in the 1980s - 2005 or so - with or without Yelena (and whoever else survives this film).

Nothing wrong with setting this up as a period spy franchise - a la "The Americans" - or even "Agent Carter," but set in the 1990s.

I'm just confused by the amount of "I'm not excited for this movie because she's dead in present day" I see on this thread.

8 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I hope you're right, but Disney's ultimate plan is to make their streaming channel the place to watch all Disney product. Its not just about Marvel, Disney now owns the Twentieth Century Fox library, and they have no plans to release those films on physical media. That's a helluva lot of classic films to hold hostage.

I know two REALLY compelling reasons for them that explain why they're not converting older films to 4K disc:

• It costs money.  At minimum the cost is in the tens of thousands, but for some film stocks it could be hundreds of thousands, possibly even millions if there's clean-up to do.
  • The average person can't tell 2K from 4K, and only the smallest percentage of people can even tell what resolution their streaming content is anyway--even among videophiles.  I can't always tell myself, and while casually watching I usually wouldn't notice.  I can only tell when I'm specifically looking for evidence of resolution.  VERY few people are getting full 4K streaming content from Disney, Netflix, or anywhere else, so by not converting older films to 4K they're almost certainly saving more money than they're losing.  Many if not most people aren't even getting full 2K at 1080p, and many are only getting 720p.
Edited by fantastic_four

25 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

If this movie does remotely well (and I think it will), why wouldn't Scarlett Johansson sign on to do more?

There could be a 3-4 more movies that are all set as prequels taking place in the 1980s - 2005 or so - with or without Yelena (and whoever else survives this film).

Nothing wrong with setting this up as a period spy franchise - a la "The Americans" - or even "Agent Carter," but set in the 1990s.

I'm just confused by the amount of "I'm not excited for this movie because she's dead in present day" I see on this thread.

15 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

Folks gotta complain about something! (:

I'm confused by those that make it a sporting event to pick apart any film or TV show not aligned with their preferred studio of choice. So we all have that going for us.

Meanwhile, after rewatching Captain America: The Winter Soldier the other day and the way Natasha departs to find out more about her past it does feel like a period missed opportunity. 

So now that she is deceased after 4 more appearances (Age of Ultron, Civil War, Infinity War, Endgame), this is most probably what is throwing people off. Her story came to an end. If any other studio did this, some would probably be calling this out themselves with, "COME ON. Are you kidding?!"

Edited by Bosco685

I remember when Disney limited the windows during which they'd sell new VHS copies of their classic animated films - both to create perceived scarcity and to not cannibalize the box office take on theatrical re-release...but I seriously doubt they'd stop releasing *new* content totally on DVD,

That's simply leaving money on the table for those who don't subscribe to Disney+.

DVD may be dying, but it's far from dead.

Hell - I subscribe to most of the streaming services and still rent ~1 new movie a month from Red Box.

23 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

DVD may be dying, but it's far from dead.

Definitely not, but 4K fans need to realize we're a very rare breed.  The chart below is published weekly for the previous week, and the Ultra HD market share usually varies widely between 5% and 20%.  Not many people have 4K Blu Ray players.

I didn't realize how rare 4K was until Sony declined to build a 4K Blu Ray player into their PS4 system due to lack of consumer support--and Sony is the company that created the format!  :whatthe:  I switched to XBox One X specifically for that reason, although now Sony's new PS5 does have Ultra HD support built in.

06-26-21-UHDMarketShare-800x467.jpg

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I know two REALLY compelling reasons for them that explain why they're not converting older films to 4K disc:

• It costs money.  At minimum the cost is in the tens of thousands, but for some film stocks it could be hundreds of thousands, possibly even millions if there's clean-up to do.
  • The average person can't tell 2K from 4K, and only the smallest percentage of people can even tell what resolution their streaming content is anyway--even among videophiles.  I can't always tell myself, and while casually watching I usually wouldn't notice.  I can only tell when I'm specifically looking for evidence of resolution.  VERY few people are getting full 4K streaming content from Disney, Netflix, or anywhere else, so by not converting older films to 4K they're almost certainly saving more money than they're losing.  Many if not most people aren't even getting full 2K at 1080p, and many are only getting 720p.

The truth about human vision.  Most people can not see 4k at the distences people watch TV from.  I would have to find th article, but the jist was this....

1. Most people can see 4k at around 4 feet from the screen.

2. The average person watches at around 10 feet.  At that distance, the average person is capable of about 720 p.

3. Conclusion.  Increasing resolutions beyond a certain point has no benefits, because of limitations of thr human eye.