• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

Look at that sexy avatar and banner. :whatthe:

Yeah, I figured it out about a minute after posting. :)

Someone that fanatical is missing something in their own life. There are too many great people to chat with on here that aren't celebrating some crazy single focus on a given company.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

Someone that fanatical is missing something in their own life. There are too many great people to chat with on here that aren't celebrating some crazy single focus on a given company.

I wanna say that Black Widow's delayed release drove him to insanity, but the MCU released content in January, so... (shrug)

I don't wanna talk about him anymore, though. It's not fair to ignore him and then discuss him.

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I wanna say that Black Widow's delayed release drove him to insanity, but the MCU released content in January, so... (shrug)

I don't wanna talk about him anymore, though. It's not fair to ignore him and then discuss him.

So about that Black Widow movie...

I want to be excited. I just can't with her death in Endgame. But maybe that will change. To me, it is still very odd release placement.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

I want to be excited. I just can't with her death in Endgame. But maybe that will change. To me, it is still very odd release placement.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again: I think it'll be very similar to Solo. Yes, Solo was somewhat boycotted due to TLJ, but not many people had interest in a dead character's prequel.

If Black Widow is that good, of course word of mouth could be the difference between the 2 movies. Solo was very 'not good' by all accounts. Not completely awful, but I feel like it didn't do Star Wars any justice.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Maybe...unless the "Black Widow" referred to in the title is actually Yelena - and sets her up to take the mantle going forward.

My only question is whether Natasha or Yelena ultimately kills their mom (Taskmaster).

2 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Maybe...unless the "Black Widow" referred to in the title is actually Yelena - and sets her up to take the mantle going forward.

My only question is whether Natasha or Yelena ultimately kills their mom (Taskmaster).

Again, I've not read the -script. I don't even know the plot of this film.

Just judging from the trailers, that's how *I'd* write it:

Step one: big reveal is that mom (Rachel Weisz) is actually Taskmaster

Step two: ultimately, Yelena (Florence Pugh) proves herself worthy of the Black Widow title / steps out of her big sister's shadow by...killing mom in the final act

Thus, she's finally "ready" - primed to take on the mantle of a Black Widow, yet goes into hiding as the credits role (as this is a prequel).

Bam - Natasha's dead?

Doesn't matter - as the MCU (and Avengers) can move forward with Yelena as the new Black Widow...Kamala Khan Captain Marvel-style.

17 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

10 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Again, I've not read the --script. I don't even know the plot of this film.

Just judging from the trailers, that's how *I'd* write it:

Step one: big reveal is that mom (Rachel Weisz) is actually Taskmaster

Step two: ultimately, Yelena (Florence Pugh) proves herself worthy of the Black Widow title / steps out of her big sister's shadow by...killing mom in the final act

Thus, she's finally "ready" - primed to take on the mantle of a Black Widow, yet goes into hiding as the credits role (as this is a prequel).

Bam - Natasha's dead?

Doesn't matter - as the MCU (and Avengers) can move forward with Yelena as the new Black Widow...Kamala Khan Captain Marvel-style.

I can see them doing this as some form of character warm transfer

Natasha dies in Endgame in the end, and the new Black Widow steps up to honor her role in the go-forward Marvel World.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

For me, it's all the delays. I want it to be good, but it's almost an old movie now, that just hasn't hit theatres yet. 

2 minutes ago, D84 said:

For me, it's all the delays. I want it to be good, but it's almost an old movie now, that just hasn't hit theatres yet. 

There is that.

Disney greed to force this into theaters versus acknowledging for itself streaming was the best direction is what held this up.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Put your pointer over the kind candidate's name and the screen above appears. Select 'Ignore User'. Peace then sets in.

Gosh, what am I gonna do without all the sarcastic laugh and confused emojis in my life? Meanwhile, let "us" get back to real constructive talk about Black Widow which soon circles back to how this movie's gonna suck, Disney is greedy, and "I" don't care about this movie. What. Ever.

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, D84 said:

I know, its like No Time to Die. Just getting stale sitting on the shelf. The initial excitement wore off long ago. Maybe that’s a good thing now as I’ll go into it with no expectations at all at this point. My brother still thinks Black Widow was released 6 months ago. 

35 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I know, its like No Time to Die. Just getting stale sitting on the shelf. The initial excitement wore off long ago. Maybe that’s a good thing now as I’ll go into it with no expectations at all at this point. My brother still thinks Black Widow was released 6 months ago. 

That's it with Bond. You go in with fresher eyes.

Black Widow - it does feel like it came out already. And now that the handoff scenario has been called out, that's my 'big expectation' for this one.

Marvel doesn't want the stars of Black Widow discussing Melina Vostokoff's last name. After a year-long delay, Black Widow is finally set to open in theatres and on Disney+ Premier Access on July 9. Despite the delay, the film has kept many of its key plot details from leaking online, with the biggest question going in being the identity of the villain, Taskmaster.

The film will see Black Widow (Scarlett Johanson) joined by a number of characters from Marvel Comics, including Yelena Belova (Florence Pugh), Red Guardian (David Harbour), and Melina Vostokoff (Rachel Weisz), who is described as another Black Widow. While Marvel has yet to officially reveal Melina's last name, it was leaked last year thanks to a Twitter emoji. In the comics, Vostokoff is the villain Iron Maiden, leading many to speculate about Weisz's role in the film.

Even though Melina Vostokoff's name is an open secret by now, Marvel still doesn't want their stars acknowledging it. During an interview on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, Kimmel introduced Weisz's character as Melina Vostokoff. Weisz quickly told Kimmel she doesn't think they are allowed to discuss her character's last name. Weisz said it was a Marvel Cinematic Universe secret and seemed nervous when Kimmel let the name slip.

"I think we’re not allowed to say Melina’s second name though, right? I think we’re prohibited from saying Melina’s second name. I think it’s a Marvel Cinematic Universe secret.”

Jimmy Kimmell Live! broadcast on ABC, which is owned by Disney, who also owns Marvel Studios. The late-night talk show has become a prominent spot for the various stars of the MCU to promote their upcoming films there, so Disney likely didn't expect a slip-up like this from one of their own subsidiaries. However, given that the character's name was leaked more than a year ago and has become common knowledge since, Kimmel can be forgiven for not realizing he wasn't supposed to talk about it.

I'm thinking Melina Vostokoff is in this film. But I may be wrong.