• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Of the 24 MCU films (that's an incredible count even stating that), where would you rank this?

Everyone's rankings are different, but here's a very rough ranking of movies (not in any particular order):

Top shelf: Infinity War/Endgame, Civil War, Winter Soldier

Great, but not the best: Iron Man, Avengers, Gotg 1 and 2

The stuff I can re-watch over and over again: Far From Home, Homecoming, Black Panther, Ragnarok, Ant Man and the Wasp

Fun, might watch if it's playing on cable: Thor, Captain America, Avengers 2, Iron Man 3, Ant-Man, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, Black Widow

Not watching if I don't have to: Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor 2

It's a fun movie and I think it starts off very strong up until it veers away from a spy flick.  Marvel movies, for the most part, are like Pixar films.  I would be hard pressed to call any of them bad, but there's still a best of the best, and a "worst".  Black Widow falls in the bottom half, closer to the likes of Captain Marvel and Doctor Strange.  Something to kill the time if I see it showing in flight, but not the type of film I'm raving to my friends that they "have to see".  If you're a Marvel fan, you'll enjoy it, but you'll probably walk away feeling that elements could have been better.  Or perhaps that certain scenes felt corny, or this or that, or whatever other complaints we levy on these franchises.

Bottom line, pare your expectations.  If you go in expecting something of Infinity War caliber, you're going to end up disappointed.  If you go in looking for a simple, fun, popcorn flick, you might just walk out happy.

12 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Everyone's rankings are different, but here's a very rough ranking of movies (not in any particular order):

Thank you for sharing this :tink:

12 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

The stuff I can re-watch over and over again: Ant Man and the Wasp

Fun, might watch if it's playing on cable: Ant-Man

So good to see these called out. Sure, they didn't need to make a billion (like that is the only validation of quality). But they brought fun and action together in two good stories. And we got Luis!

24 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

The stuff I can re-watch over and over again: Far From Home, Homecoming, Black Panther, Ragnarok, Ant Man and the Wasp

Fun, might watch if it's playing on cable: Thor, Captain America, Avengers 2, Iron Man 3, Ant-Man, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, Black Widow

Solid list - and (not having seen Black Widow) largely mirrors mine.

The only edits I'd make is flipping GOTG 2 to the "Fun, might watch if it's on cable" column, and transposing "Ant-Man and the Wasp" and "Captain Marvel."

While not as big a booster as another character on these boards, I've now seen Captain Marvel 3 x, and think it's got some really interesting things to say about agency, identity and growth/coming-of-age.

I can't decide whether the worst Marvel film is Thor 2 or Incredible Hulk - although the worst Marvel Studios film is solidly Punisher War Zone.

3 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Solid list - and (not having seen Black Widow) largely mirrors mine.

The only edits I'd make is flipping GOTG 2 to the "Fun, might watch if it's on cable" column, and transposing "Ant-Man and the Wasp" and "Captain Marvel."

While not as big a booster as another character on these boards, I've now seen Captain Marvel 3 x, and think it's got some really interesting things to say about agency, identity and growth/coming-of-age.

I can't decide whether the worst Marvel film is Thor 2 or Incredible Hulk - although the worst Marvel Studios film is solidly Punisher War Zone.

From what I've seen (ie: reddit), GotG2 gets a lot of flak from the community.  The biggest knock on the film is that it took everything from GotG 1 and dialed it up to 11 and as a result, it loses the originality factor.  But despite this complaint against GotG2, people turn around and revere Thor 3 which did exactly the same thing.  Originality aside, GotG2 has one of the more compelling Marvel villains put to screen (Ego) played flawlessly by Kurt Russell with an actual background motive for his actions.  It has a lot of heart in the form of interactions between Drax and Mantis, Nebula and Gamora, Quill and Yondu.  And the humor, while in the same vein as the original film, still knocks it out of the park.  "Trash panda", Rocket vs the Ravagers, prison breakout, "I'm Mary Poppins y'all".  These are all memorable moments that had my particular theater in stitches.

8 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I rank Iron Man well ahead of Civil War, but agree that Winter Soldier is top shelf. It is still my favorite MCU film.

1 hour ago, Xenosmilus said:

Just saw it.  No spoilers, it was entertaining but there were not any wow moments. An average Marvel movie and not really too re-watchable.

I agree. Also I think they butchered task master. Nothing like the comics and was just not a great villain in this. Still, liked it but didnt love it and will never rewatch. 

Edited by jason4

9 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

From what I've seen (ie: reddit), GotG2 gets a lot of flak from the community.  The biggest knock on the film is that it took everything from GotG 1 and dialed it up to 11 and as a result, it loses the originality factor.  But despite this complaint against GotG2, people turn around and revere Thor 3 which did exactly the same thing.  Originality aside, GotG2 has one of the more compelling Marvel villains put to screen (Ego) played flawlessly by Kurt Russell with an actual background motive for his actions.  It has a lot of heart in the form of interactions between Drax and Mantis, Nebula and Gamora, Quill and Yondu.  And the humor, while in the same vein as the original film, still knocks it out of the park.  "Trash panda", Rocket vs the Ravagers, prison breakout, "I'm Mary Poppins y'all".  These are all memorable moments that had my particular theater in stitches.

GoTG2 and Antman have been growing on me upon repeat watches…

’Trash Panda’ is a classic.

Just saw the movie.  It was fun and was a fitting bookend to Black Widow.  Although the Task Master deviated from the comics, the movie tied it well to the outcome that it offered to achieve.  The Red Room concept was actually pretty slick and there were a couple of twists here and there but nothing that was masterful.  It's a good popcorn movie and gives ScarJo her crowning moment.

1 hour ago, D84 said:

Here's the real question: was it better than Captain Marvel?

just by having a lead that seems to enjoy what's she's doing, didn't take much to accomplish that :grin:

very fun movie that starts fast and doesn't take the foot off the gas until the end, very enjoyable (thumbsu

saw it with my friends tonight and will be seeing it again this weekend with the family :smile: