• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

On 8/2/2021 at 10:16 AM, Gatsby77 said:

I think this will change - and eventually all the streaming services will have to release their numbers for transparency's sake.

We're at the same inflection point we were several years ago when Nielsen became (temporarily) obsolete with the advent of streaming services.

And, as others have noted - going forward all major actor/director/producer contracts will have streaming revenue accounted for in their compensation deals.

Mark Wahlberg has also threatened legal action over Infinite going directly to Paramount+ rather than a theatrical release.

That said, I don't understand the accounting - what's the projected ROI for Netflix of spending $100+ million or $150+ million on a movie like Bright or 6 Underground?

What's the ROI on Amazon supposedly spending $1 billion+ on 5 seasons of Lord of the Rings? That's a *lot* of additional Prime memberships...

The reality is that streaming will result in more steady revenue, but ultimately lower revenue for the entertainment industry. The math of what streamers are spending on shows vs monthly income just does not add up. Is that what they are trying to hide? Which means everyone will eventually be making less. The cash cow for entertainment was the blockbuster tent pole films.

Also companies love the money comes to them with no cuts to middle men or creators. 

On 8/2/2021 at 11:10 AM, drotto said:

The reality is that streaming will result in more steady revenue, but ultimately lower revenue for the entertainment industry. The math of what streamers are spending on shows vs monthly income just does not add up. Is that what they are trying to hide? Which means everyone will eventually be making less. The cash cow for entertainment was the blockbuster tent pole films.

Also companies love the money comes to them with no cuts to middle men or creators. 

With paywalls, piracy will continue to be a huge factor in streaming new releases.

On 8/2/2021 at 11:10 AM, drotto said:

This isn't actually true.

Disney+, at least, has to share a portion of their premium revenue with the platform providers, like Roku & Apple TV. Deadline cited 15%.

Still, an 85% cut of streaming beats 60% of domestic theatrical.

On 8/2/2021 at 11:12 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

With paywalls, piracy will continue to be a huge factor in streaming new releases.

Piracy has been a huge factor for years.   It has just gotten worse with the Pandemic as well as the explosion in streaming services.  People are either unwilling to or can not afford to subscribe to more than a few of them.   So they search out other means.

On 8/2/2021 at 11:27 AM, drotto said:

Piracy has been a huge factor for years.   It has just gotten worse with the Pandemic as well as the explosion in streaming services.  People are either unwilling to or can not afford to subscribe to more than a few of them.   So they search out other means.

I mean, recording a movie with your phone on opening night and recording essentially a digital copy of a new movie are quite different, I would say.

On 8/2/2021 at 11:28 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I mean, recording a movie with your phone on opening night and recording essentially a digital copy of a new movie are quite different, I would say.

It is very easy to find high quality files for just about anything.  Yes, same day streaming has made it far worse.  Piracy used to mainly cannibalize DVD/BR/digital sales, but now it is effecting theaters more.

On 8/2/2021 at 11:46 AM, drotto said:

It is very easy to find high quality files for just about anything.  Yes, same day streaming has made it far worse.  Piracy used to mainly cannibalize DVD/BR/digital sales, but now it is effecting theaters more.

Yeah, pirated movies never mattered to me, except for Josstice League (I was not going to pay to own that movie). If I like a movie, I'm going to buy a physical copy. Now, though, I wouldn't even have to pay to see Black Widow once.

Streaming day-of is a potential killer.

Insiders tell TheWrap that Iger is “mortified” that Johansson ended up suing the studio

Turns out that corporate rifts have consequences. 

It’s an open secret in Hollywood that Disney Executive Chairman Bob Iger and CEO Bob Chapek have been estranged for months, dating back to the very start of last year’s pandemic. Now the consequences of that estrangement are becoming clear.

Representatives for Scarlett Johansson say that the actress is shocked by the company’s response.

Johansson’s agent, as well as the CAA co-chairman; Bryan Lourd put out a statement, slamming Disney for:
“Shamelessly and falsely accus[ing] Ms. Johansson of being insensitive to the global COVID pandemic, in an attempt to make her appear to be someone they and I know she isn’t.”

Lourd added:
“The company included her salary in their press statement in an attempt to weaponize her success as an artist and businesswoman, as if that were something she should be ashamed of,” reads the statement from Lourd, who said the lawsuit was filed “a result of Disney’s decision to knowingly violate Scarlett’s contract.”

“They have very deliberately moved the revenue stream and profits to the Disney+ side of the company leaving artistic and financial partners out of their new equation…Disney’s direct attack on her character and all else they implied is beneath the company that many of us in the creative community have worked with successfully for decades.”

In addition, Marvel Studios President and producer Kevin Feige is also “angry and embarrassed” over Disney’s reaction to Johansson’s lawsuit.

It was pretty petty of Disney to publish Scarlett Johansson's salary as a response to her lawsuit announcement.

What if she then published how much Disney made from all venues, along with how much other contributors like the director or fellow talent made? Would that be appropriate?

On 8/2/2021 at 3:09 PM, Bosco685 said:

I almost posted a few days ago that I'm surprised someone as PR-savvy as Iger let this happen, but then I remembered he's no longer CEO and that I had no idea how much influence he had over Chapek.  Looks like he has zero influence, and yea, I'm not surprised he would look at it like this.

I've seen well over a dozen examples of Iger being a classy and likable guy, but not once have I thought about Chapek.  Not a great look for this to be the first time I'm forced to think about the fact that he exists at all.  :eek:

Edited by fantastic_four

On 8/2/2021 at 3:24 PM, fantastic_four said:

I almost posted a few days ago that I'm surprised someone as PR-savvy as Iger let this happen, but then I remembered he's no longer CEO and that I had no idea how much influence he had over Chapek.  Looks like he has zero influence, and yea, I'm not surprised he would look at it like this.

I've seen well over a dozen examples of Iger being a classy and likable guy, but not once have I thought about Chapek.  Not a great look for this to be the first time I'm forced to think about the fact that he exists at all.  :eek:

I truly do believe it is that Chief Communications Officer that is retiring.

Disney’s Brand Protector and Power Behind the Power Is Stepping Down

From what has been noted about her, when allowed to take action on her own with no restraints she is of the 'scorched earth' mentality. And since she is retiring in early 2022, she most probably doesn't care how the talent feels about Disney.

Disney_Leads2.thumb.PNG.0dcda4ab14685169f32dba1619ba6177.PNG

Edited by Bosco685

Iger is one of the most likable CEOs of a large company I've ever encountered.  He's also married to the cute anchor Willow Bay from an NBA show on NBC called "Inside Stuff" that aired throughout the 1990s.  He almost retired from Disney and ran for president in 2016, urged on by Oprah Winfrey who said she'd be in his cabinet, but when the Fox deal came on the radar he decided to stay on as CEO until the deal went through.  I'll accept bringing the X-Men and Fantastic Four back to the Marvel universe as an acceptable reason for not running.  :grin:

He's also the spitting image of Frank Sinatra.  I think of Sinatra every time I see a picture of Iger.

ERqYJ4nWsAACoKN.jpg

On 8/2/2021 at 4:05 PM, fantastic_four said:

Iger is one of the most likable CEOs of a large company I've ever encountered.  He's also married to the cute anchor Willow Bay from an NBA show on NBC called "Inside Stuff" that aired throughout the 1990s.  He almost retired from Disney and ran for president in 2016, urged on by Oprah Winfrey who said she'd be in his cabinet, but when the Fox deal came on the radar he decided to stay on as CEO until the deal went through.  I'll accept bringing the X-Men and Fantastic Four back to the Marvel universe as an acceptable reason for not running.  :grin:

He's also the spitting image of Frank Sinatra.  I think of Sinatra every time I see a picture of Iger.

Spoiler

ERqYJ4nWsAACoKN.jpg

I think that has been the general consensus about Iger being a likeable and sensible senior executive. This has to be killing him that he turned over the keys to the Magic Kingdom to this fellow.

In a new report on the Johansson lawsuit in The Wrap, it's stated "multiple insiders" think the Black Widow situation is Chapek's fault, due to his lack of experience working with talent. A producer told the outlet, "He didn't think it would blow up in his face." USC Marshall School of Business adjunct professor Gene Del Vecchio was one of a few to compare how Chapek handled Black Widow to former Disney CEO Bob Iger's approach:

“Bob Iger was named CEO in 2005 not only due to his business acumen, but for his mastery of developing and keeping relationships that he had honed for dozens of years working with temperamental, high-profile stars. Disney’s acquisition and management of Pixar, Marvel, and Lucas are testimony to his ability. Chapek’s previous experience with Disney Consumer Products, Parks and Resorts did not demand the same level of star-charged interaction.”

What's particularly troubling is Johansson had concerns about Black Widow releasing on streaming back in 2019, one year prior to the coronavirus pandemic. At the time of those conversations, her representation was assured Black Widow would receive a traditional theatrical release, similar to Marvel's other blockbuster tentpoles. With that in mind, it's curious why Disney didn't reach out and negotiate a new contract with Johansson - one that reflected the changed release strategy. 

What's even more nuts is Disney fanatics are referring to Scarlett Johansson as a traitor to the company. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some of this on here.

Some were even referring to her as 'Mata Hari'. As if she had planned this event for years, and had been waiting to spring it on Disney at the opportune time. :facepalm:

Edited by Bosco685

On 8/2/2021 at 4:55 PM, Bosco685 said:

I think that has been the general consensus about Iger being a likeable and sensible senior executive. This has to be killing him that he turned over the keys to the Magic Kingdom to this fellow.

Yeah, I'm sure Iger is going "WTF?" about all this.

On 8/2/2021 at 8:05 AM, drotto said:

It would force the streaming services to do a few things they have been very reluctant to do so far.  Release actual numbers of subscribers and subscriber gain/loss over a given period.  

They already release this information on quarterly earnings calls. It’s part of the reason Netflix 💩 on it’s last earnings report and why Disney stock has pushed through the pandemic despite closures of its parks. 

On 8/2/2021 at 6:19 PM, Mephisto said:

They already release this information on quarterly earnings calls. It’s part of the reason Netflix 💩 on it’s last earnings report and why Disney stock has pushed through the pandemic despite closures of its parks. 

I think what he is referring to is there is not complete transparency when those streaming numbers are released. Including what part of the subscribers are actual paying customers versus free/trial members or even in the case of those associated with phone or cable plans shared customers. And in the case of new subscribers, associating a given production as the influencer. Though to do that you would have to offer up some form of promotion code to truly link the two together.

Now as far as pay-per-view with initial releases, that may be a spot for even more transparency to avoid studios reducing the amount to avoid sharing in the revenue.

On 8/2/2021 at 3:16 PM, Bosco685 said:

Was she expecting Disney to write a blank check & ask "how much to make this go away"? Disney isn't owned by the powers that oversee it. They're catering to share holders that want to see returns on their investment. She publicly called out Disney & they're simply defending their image. It's not like her side of the story makes Disney sound anymore endearing than they made her out to be.

On 8/2/2021 at 4:27 PM, chezmtghut said:

Was she expecting Disney to write a blank check & ask "how much to make this go away"? Disney isn't owned by the powers that oversee it. They're catering to share holders that want to see returns on their investment. She publicly called out Disney & they're simply defending their image. It's not like her side of the story makes Disney sound anymore endearing than they made her out to be.

Disney average annual return to investors (excluding divs) since acquisition of Marvel = 18%

AT&T average annual return to investors (excluding divs) from purchase to divestiture of WB = 0%

Edited by paperheart