• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

None of us have read the contract so we have no idea if ScarJo will win, but it's extraordinarily hard to see anyone but Disney losing by a landslide in the court of public opinion.  They're burning bridges with fans and Hollywood for no good reason that I can see.  They had a chance to put a good reason out but instead tried to say it was the pandemic's fault that they're not going to count the Disney Plus revenue towards ScarJo's income?  lol  :screwy:

On 7/31/2021 at 11:23 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Yeah - Shang-Chi is locked into a 45-day theatrical-only window.

News reports are the Delta variant's set to peak in mid-October.

I think the delta varient is going to peak a lot sooner than that.  If you look at India and the UK, cases spiked very quickly, but also went down more rapidly than previous surges. More transmissable.means more are going to get it faster. It also means usually a shorter duration.  None of the other surges lasted 3 to 4 months so a doubt something that spreads faster will.  My best bet is it will peak mod to late August.

I say this little lawsuit by Marvel's own Mata Hari isn't necessarily a great look for either side. Sure, Disney should have renegotiated some kind of day and date streaming deal with SJ when the decision was made, but SJ's attorneys also can't really dismiss the influence of a worldwide deadly global pandemic on many a movie studios decisions. Ask people on the street and it might be half and half on who looks greedier here, especially after Disney disclosed her intitial BW salary. $20 million is a lot of money for one movie. Maybe SJ realizes, as someone in her late 30's whos isn't really this generation's Meryl Streep, this is her last stab at any real money for her acting career.

But even though this is making entertainment headlines, I don't think anybody really cares. Disney and Mata Hari will most likely settle out of court to avoid any more public spectacle (it's not a great look for either) and put this behind them, we'll all forget about it, and the MCU train will continue chugging on.

I'm a little puzzled (not puzzled) by the few but loud voices in fandom calling for the demise of Disney. News flash, it's Disney's backing of Marvel Studios that we can credit for our favorite hobby being at the top of pop culture. Yes, those first few MCU movies did good, but it was the creative and financial might and marketing of the Mouse that put Marvel on top of the mountain. Without Disney, the MCU isn't where it is today. I know there's a lot of DC diehards in these boards, but post Nolanverse, DC has been doing everything it can to bring comic book culture from the top of the mountain. Thankfully, the MCU, backed by Disney, keeps giving us compelling interesting stuff to keep superhero comic book culture in the top tier of pop culture and to continue sending our comic collections values to the moon.

On 7/31/2021 at 1:03 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I say this little lawsuit by Marvel's own Mata Hari isn't necessarily a great look for either side. Sure, Disney should have renegotiated some kind of day and date streaming deal with SJ when the decision was made, but SJ's attorneys also can't really dismiss the influence of a worldwide deadly global pandemic on many a movie studios decisions. Ask people on the street and it might be half and half on who looks greedier here, especially after Disney disclosed her intitial BW salary. $20 million is a lot of money for one movie. Maybe SJ realizes, as someone in her late 30's whos isn't really this generation's Meryl Streep, this is her last stab at any real money for her acting career.

But even though this is making entertainment headlines, I don't think anybody really cares. Disney and Mata Hari will most likely settle out of court to avoid any more public spectacle (it's not a great look for either) and put this behind them, we'll all forget about it, and the MCU train will continue chugging on.

I'm a little puzzled (not puzzled) by the few but loud voices in fandom calling for the demise of Disney. News flash, it's Disney's backing of Marvel Studios that we can credit for our favorite hobby being at the top of pop culture. Yes, those first few MCU movies did good, but it was the creative and financial might and marketing of the Mouse that put Marvel on top of the mountain. Without Disney, the MCU isn't where it is today. I know there's a lot of DC diehards in these boards, but post Nolanverse, DC has been doing everything it can to bring comic book culture from the top of the mountain. Thankfully, the MCU, backed by Disney, keeps giving us compelling interesting stuff to keep superhero comic book culture in the top tier of pop culture and to continue sending our comic collections values to the moon.

The entire movie industry is a disaster right now.  Disney is on top, and therefor has the biggest pockets, and highest name recognition for lawyers to target. This is not a favoring one company or another thing, but rather this could be a trend setting case that will effects all movie companies and all franchises.  

This is one thing where the quality of the product may have far less impact then you would like.  This is about money, and an industry severly wounded by the pandemic.  It will cause a massive restructuring of the entire industry.  The new form will likely be facing a smaller market and smaller monetary returns going forward.

The quality of BW is not the only factor, but add the pandemic, this individual movie, and MCU fatigue seemingly settling in, and the perfect storm has been created. I think all movies, the DCEU, and yes the mighty MCU are in for a very rough few years.

On 7/31/2021 at 1:49 PM, Bosco685 said:

Disney has Theater chains have now reduced their Black Widow theater count by -890 as of yesterday

F9_BW_BO.png.9621b9350052f78f4fa95886561bace5.png

That's a lot of theaters being saved :facepalm:

Fixed that for you.

Again, it's *theatrical distributors* - not film studios - that determine when they swap films out.

The exception is that distributors are generally locked into the first two weeks (so there's never a demonstrable theater screen drop-off in week 2).

But after that, it's fair game - theaters can continue to run the film, or swap in others in its place at their discretion, not the studio's.

And in this case, many of the screens Black Widow is losing are likely going to Disney's Jungle Cruise anyway.

Another thought......

Does SJ see the writing on the wall?  Is she acknowledging that her chance and possibly any actors chance of making 20 million plus per film may be gone.  She is trying to take one last giant fist full of cash from the pile, before the pile shrinks forever. 

Emma Stone and Emily Blunt same thing.  Get that cash now, because nobody, no matter how big will be seeing $20 million anytime soon.  If that time comes again, the prime of their careers will likely have passed.

The day of the movie star is passing, and right behind it are the massive paydays for a select few were able to get. New contracts will be for far less money, and structured with the new streaming reality in mind.  For good measure, movie companies will start adding much more restrictive cluases. 

On 7/31/2021 at 12:30 PM, fantastic_four said:

None of us have read the contract so we have no idea if ScarJo will win, but it's extraordinarily hard to see anyone but Disney losing by a landslide in the court of public opinion.  They're burning bridges with fans and Hollywood for no good reason that I can see.  They had a chance to put a good reason out but instead tried to say it was the pandemic's fault that they're not going to count the Disney Plus revenue towards ScarJo's income?  lol  :screwy:

It’s strange I’m only seeing this opinion here on these boards. Everyone else I know outside these boards has more less taken a stance who gives a  💩 about Scarlet Johansson and this situation. When I came from work yesterday my wife said the local news anchors were talking about the story and basically crapping all over her.

My wife has long disliked her and the Black Widow character in the MCU. Apparently the disdain with Johansson and her character in the MCU was even a topic of discussion at our wedding two months ago my wife’s one bridesmaid was just ewww yeah not a fan.

My wife is an Administrative Law Judge and is often extremely interested in legal issues. She didn’t seem at all interested to know the specifics of this one. 

I’m more or less indifferent to her and it’s always been that way. It wouldn’t surprise me if the opposite occurs and she has cut off her nose to spite her face. Movie offers dwindle for her and other actors are only offered straight up lump sum payments with no performance bonuses from box office theater or streaming sales.

On 7/31/2021 at 11:22 AM, Mephisto said:

It’s strange I’m only seeing this opinion here on these boards. Everyone else I know outside these boards has more less taken a stance who gives a  💩 about Scarlet Johansson and this situation. When I came from work yesterday my wife said the local news anchors were talking about the story and basically crapping all over her.

My wife has long disliked her and the Black Widow character in the MCU. Apparently the disdain with Johansson and her character in the MCU was even a topic of discussion at our wedding two months ago my wife’s one bridesmaid was just ewww yeah not a fan.

My wife is an Administrative Law Judge and is often extremely interested in legal issues. She didn’t seem at all interested to know the specifics of this one. 

I’m more or less indifferent to her and it’s always been that way. It wouldn’t surprise me if the opposite occurs and she has cut off her nose to spite her face. Movie offers dwindle for her and other actors are only offered straight up lump sum payments with no performance bonuses from box office theater or streaming sales.

+1, take the $100 million you reaped from the MCU, your butterface and asset that looks good in spandex from a certain angle and go back to working with the alleged serial sexual abuser you stand behind 2c

On 7/31/2021 at 2:05 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Fixed that for you.

Again, it's *theatrical distributors* - not film studios - that determine when they swap films out.

The exception is that distributors are generally locked into the first two weeks (so there's never a demonstrable theater screen drop-off in week 2).

But after that, it's fair game - theaters can continue to run the film, or swap in others in its place at their discretion, not the studio's.

And in this case, many of the screens Black Widow is losing are likely going to Disney's Jungle Cruise anyway.

:roflmao:

Disney drives its contracting with theaters on screen distribution. Mister 'I had access to a theater contract or two'.

My_Disney2.gif.c40a0bae02fc6c206337fea6900daddc.gif

On 7/31/2021 at 2:22 PM, Mephisto said:

I'm sort of indifferent to BW also.  She was good character to help tie the main characters together.  I never really understood why people say she deserved her own movie years ago.  I'd rather Marvel save major movies for Super Heroes (or Villains:wishluck:) and not spies or guys with good aim! :roflmao:

On 7/31/2021 at 3:54 PM, Bosco685 said:

Every fact presented to you only your assumptions are right in your mind

:facepalm:

Says the man who continues to mis-report the production cost of Guardians of the Galaxy 2, not just because you based it on one questionable article, but *also* because you intentionally mis-read the tax credits granted according to that very article. :screwy:

TL:DR - production costs are net of tax credits and incentives.

Then again, maybe I misread those theater contracts - including the actual one I signed with Disney.

After all, I only got a B+ in Contracts in law school. How'd you do?