• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2021 at 6:05 PM, Bosco685 said:

I think you do. But sometimes it is good to remind ourselves as men.

If you think of the American society some of us live in, women were not equals for a very long time. Even with the right to vote that didn't come into play until August 26, 1920. So 144 years after the country declared its independence. And even then there is still things such pay and role inequalities. Heck, society as a whole recognizes the 'rule of thumb' term came to be known as the allowance for the size of the stick you could beat your wife with before it became an issue. So as much as males assume they have treated women as equals over time, there is always that sensitivity how a statement can intended to convey misogynist intent from a government or a corporation.

When a male-dominated corporation then delivers a message that can be twisted into an attack on a woman's character to make a point, this can play into a narrative of inequality. It would be crazy to even allow your PR messaging to open itself up to that perception during a tense legal situation. Which when Disney tried to imply Scarlett Johansson just wasn't being self-aware during a pandemic opened that door.

See the point?

I do now. Thanks for clarifying.

Though I get what you are saying, does this mean we have to give women special treatment? Should Disney not have gone after her the way Warner did Stallone?

Isn't that saying women are too fragile to be treated as equals? That would also be sexist. Double checked with a couple female friends and they agree it is.

Women were treated horribly and in some ways still are, I'm not denying that.

I don't have the answers, but we are still talking about rich people fighting over their over-inflated piece of the pie.

Actors, like musicians and athletes seem to get a pass where corporate leaders do not, but they are corporations. For tax purposes, they setup their own companies, sometimes with just their name as the business entity.

This is two corporations fighting over money. The only real difference is how we view one because we can see the face of one corporation in the movies.

Either side can try and spin it however they want.

On 8/1/2021 at 7:23 PM, D84 said:

I do now. Thanks for clarifying.

Though I get what you are saying, does this mean we have to give women special treatment? Should Disney not have gone after her the way Warner did Stallone?

Isn't that saying women are too fragile to be treated as equals? That would also be sexist. Double checked with a couple female friends and they agree it is.

Women were treated horribly and in some ways still are, I'm not denying that.

I don't have the answers, but we are still talking about rich people fighting over their over-inflated piece of the pie.

Actors, like musicians and athletes seem to get a pass where corporate leaders do not, but they are corporations. For tax purposes, they setup their own companies, sometimes with just their name as the business entity.

This is two corporations fighting over money. The only real difference is how we view one because we can see the face of one corporation in the movies.

Either side can try and spin it however they want.

No matter how much we males convince ourselves woman are equals so they can take an equal tongue-lashing, the blowback in the end can be so damaging it would be better to tread lightly.

And like was noted by someone else earlier (or at least hinted at), we don't know what conversations were had before things got this bad. Disney could have been much sterner behind closed doors. I wouldn't be shocked knowing that the Communications Director is the one that blocked The Los Angeles Times from movie screenings for spite and even then it blew up on Disney.

Disney’s Brand Protector and Power Behind the Power Is Stepping Down

She doesn't retire until 2022. And that is the person that drives Disney brand messaging. At times with explosive results. Which is shocking, as wise as Disney is with its brand.

On 8/1/2021 at 6:38 PM, Bosco685 said:

No matter how much we males convince ourselves woman are equals so they can take an equal tongue-lashing, the blowback in the end can be so damaging it would be better to tread lightly.

And like was noted by someone else earlier (or at least hinted at), we don't know what conversations were had before things got this bad. Disney could have been much sterner behind closed doors. I wouldn't be shocked knowing that the Communications Director is the one that blocked The Los Angeles Times from movie screenings for spite and even then it blew up on Disney.

Disney’s Brand Protector and Power Behind the Power Is Stepping Down

She doesn't retire until 2022. And that is the person that drives Disney brand messaging. At times with explosive results. Which is shocking, as wise as Disney is with its brand.

Disney has been consistent with its brand: The Family Friendly Anti-Christ.

Too much talk. I'm more of a fan of "King of the Mountain" game I used to play on the snow mountains made in parking lots as a kid made by the snow plows. Get to the top and toss everyone off!:roflmao:I've worked with enough tough women that can hold their own with the best of men.  They would truly be insulted if you treated them easier than a man.

4vippr.gif

Edited by Xenosmilus

On 8/1/2021 at 7:45 PM, D84 said:

Disney has been consistent with its brand: The Family Friendly Anti-Christ.

:roflmao:

By the way - she is part of that next rung down. And she is very much feared.

Disney_Leads2.thumb.PNG.b6286700ff0ac9bade63051e565fcfec.PNG

On 8/1/2021 at 7:47 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Too much talk. I'm more of a fan of "King of the Mountain" game I used to play on the snow mountains made in parking lots as a kid made by the snow plows. Get to the top and toss everyone off!:roflmao:I've worked with enough bad women that can hold their own with the best of men.  They would truly be insulted if you treated them easier them men.

4vippr.gif

Where Wolf?

tumblr_mv3tatPSes1rgco4uo1_400.gif.2504a6b090b533ced32aeac5ad27fd8c.gif

On 8/1/2021 at 5:17 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Naw what I was saying if the "Act of God" clause is legit then the contract is void

Force majeure typically doesn't void the contract, it's in there to make sure ScarJo (or anyone else) can't sue Disney for not meeting the terms of a contract when an "Act of God" prevents it.  The pandemic forced a delayed release, but it didn't force Disney to release the film simultaneously on Disney Plus and decline to share that revenue with the actors.

Put more simply--acts of God isn't a blank check for Disney to do whatever they want.  I mean, it COULD be, but if ScarJo's agent let her sign a contract with that open-ended a force majeure clause then she needs to find a new agent.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 8/1/2021 at 6:47 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Too much talk. I'm more of a fan of "King of the Mountain" game I used to play on the snow mountains made in parking lots as a kid made by the snow plows. Get to the top and toss everyone off!:roflmao:I've worked with enough tough women that can hold their own with the best of men.  They would truly be insulted if you treated them easier them men.

4vippr.gif

One of my best friends is a marine (also a woman) and at 5'3", 120 lbs could easily take out people a foot taller and 100 lbs. heavier. Try going easy on her because she's a woman and see what happens.

I've seen her punch out a Spider-Man on Hollywood Blvd. for jumping out to startle us. It was a reflex and one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

It's worth noting that when ScarJo would have signed her Black Widow contract in 2017 Disney Plus didn't even exist, and I can't remember if it was public knowledge at the time that it was even in the works.  So it's not as if Disney choosing to stream content is something they would have ever explicitly mentioned in the contract on either side, although after the last year I have no doubt that EVERY contract will explicitly mention it from now on--particularly for Disney clients now that everyone else's agents have seen how Disney has dealt with ScarJo.

Also--I don't really care about ScarJo losing however many millions she's losing.  She's rich beyond avarice, so I could care less, but I absolutely don't begrudge her going after her money in the contract and place most of the blame on Disney based upon my guess as to what the contract probably says.  What I care about is Disney ticking off the other actors.  I want actors like Hiddleston to keep returning to play Loki, Hemsworth to to keep playing Thor, or Ruffalo to keep playing Hulk.  But all three of those guys really like ScarJo, so will this increase the likelihood one or several of the mainstay actors will leave?  DEFINITELY, without a doubt.  And that's almost certainly Feige's biggest concern, too.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 8/1/2021 at 8:11 PM, fantastic_four said:

Also--I don't really care about ScarJo losing however many millions she's losing.  She's rich beyond avarice, so I could care less, but I absolutely don't begrudge her going after her money in the contract and place most of the blame on Disney based upon my guess as to what the contract probably says.  What I care about is Disney ticking off the other actors.  I want actors like Hiddleston to keep returning to play Loki, Hemsworth to to keep playing Thor, or Ruffalo to keep playing Hulk.  But all three of those guys really like ScarJo, so will this increase the likelihood one or several of the mainstay actors will leave?  DEFINITELY, without a doubt.  And that's almost certainly Feige's biggest concern, too.

I agree but I also don't believe SJ and her lawyers are 100% in the right either and find the blind support of her is sort of annoying.

On 8/1/2021 at 7:47 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Too much talk. I'm more of a fan of "King of the Mountain" game I used to play on the snow mountains made in parking lots as a kid made by the snow plows. Get to the top and toss everyone off!:roflmao:I've worked with enough tough women that can hold their own with the best of men.  They would truly be insulted if you treated them easier than a man.

4vippr.gif

Actually I was just kidding about "liking" King of the Mountain.  It was brutal and don't recommend it for kids now a days. :roflmao:

On 8/1/2021 at 8:23 PM, Xenosmilus said:

I agree but I also don't believe SJ and her lawyers are 100% in the right either and find the blind support of her is sort of annoying.

I agree.

You should see this one forumite that created excessive MCU threads because he feels only that company does it right.

hm :whatthe:

Nevermind

:baiting:

On 8/1/2021 at 8:23 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Mines not blind, it's based upon decades of tales of studios screwing actors out of income by lying about revenue and/or profits.  What I don't get is the support for Disney's point of view, and it's because I haven't heard anyone even try to defend it yet, just to complain about ScarJo or the movie in general.  Why WOULDN'T they include Disney Plus revenues in with box office receipts to compute actor compensation?  (shrug). Rationally and morally that's what makes sense, and since Disney hasn't explained either I'm left assuming they think they can skip it because of their interpretation of what the contract says.

Edited by fantastic_four