• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

So, is this film going to save the movie industry as we have been told many times on these forums?

I don't know. I do know that this movie saved me from ever seeing it. 

The story of Black Widow that Marvel Studios settled on follows Natasha after breaking the Sokovia Accords in Captain America: Civil War and reuniting with her Russian spy family to take down the Red Room. During a recent interview with MTV News, Johansson was asked how the movie changed over the years. She revealed some alternate story ideas that were considered by herself and Feige before landing on the family-centric story. This includes a version of Black Widow Johansson wanted to make that she says was weird and existential, but Feige wasn't on board with it.

"There was a version of it that was very status quo. Yelena and Natasha are adversaries and Yelena's trying to dethrone her, like whatever spy espionage version [that] was. I was like, 'I cannot go back to work for this.' And then there was another version that I had developed that was really existential, kind of weird. And Kevin Feige was like, 'I don't think I can come into work for this' (laughs). It was weird, I liked it."

Just saw it -- would give it a B.  Enjoyed Yelena and the Red Guardian quite a bit, but a lot of it felt paint-by-numbers and therefore a faded facsimile of other MCU moments. 

Not in the top half of MCU movies, though.  Worth watching?  Yes.

1 minute ago, paperheart said:

The Walt Disney Company sent out a widespread announcement that Black Widow made $215M WW this weekend: Broken down that’s $80M at the domestic box office, $78M in international box office, and over $60M in Disney+ Premier Access consumer spend globally.

$80MM US after a $39.5MM Friday, not encouraging.

These numbers are weak. 

I'm assuming that's why Disney decided to allege that they made another 60MM in streaming.  

-J.

So typical 60% drop next weekend, it will be around 90 mil ww next weekend.  The big wildcard here is post covid theater enthusiasm.  That could mean a larger than typical drop because those desperate to hit the theaters all went this weekend.  The rest will just see it streaming. This is going to struggle to hit $500 mil.

If it only did $80,000,000 over the weekend and half of that was Friday, do you think word of mouth hurt it?

To be honest, it wasn't particularly good. I saw it with my parents and brother and none of us liked it. Our views ranged from mediocre to bad.

So, I can see word of mouth getting people to rethink going.

4 minutes ago, D84 said:

If it only did $80,000,000 over the weekend and half of that was Friday, do you think word of mouth hurt it?

To be honest, it wasn't particularly good. I saw it with my parents and brother and none of us liked it. Our views ranged from mediocre to bad.

So, I can see word of mouth getting people to rethink going.

Let's see how CinemaScore reports on the audience rating. This will be interesting if Disney lands its somewhat traditional A-/A/A+ which at times is unwarranted.

:popcorn:

1 hour ago, drotto said:

So typical 60% drop next weekend, it will be around 90 mil ww next weekend.  The big wildcard here is post covid theater enthusiasm.  That could mean a larger than typical drop because those desperate to hit the theaters all went this weekend.  The rest will just see it streaming. This is going to struggle to hit $500 mil.

So Friday was half of the gross for the weekend? Wow!