• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANTASTIC FOUR 45 cooling off? FF 52 red hot?
4 4

132 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, darkstar said:
4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Why do you say that?

because the notion that the music used in a comic book movie is going to have any significant impact on ticket sales is patently ridiculous.

I think saying it's patently ridiculous is patently ridiculous. lol

I can tell you that when I heard the Immigrant Song played for the Thor trailer it nearly made me jump out of my skin as it was a perfect match.

I would have seen it regardless but I have no doubt that a soundtrack can often sway people who are neutral and definitely people will notice music when listening to a sound track.

The Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack was so popular that it's become a phenomenon to itself.

These are no longer 'comic book movies' and that is where you may not see the value of music. They are pop-culture fests and the more pop-culture you get for the dollar the more successful the film. They transcend comic books now.

You don't think music has an affect on movie marketing? I think you're mistaken.

Here's a couple of articles that demonstrate how difficult and expensive it is to use a Led Zeppelin song in a movie.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/7/16613232/thor-ragnarok-led-zeppelin-immigrant-song-taika-waititi

https://filmschoolrejects.com/led-zeppelin-hollywood-movie-trailer-music-9e16ab873187/

If they didn't have any significant impact then why do they spend so much time, money and effort on soundtracks?

Edited by VintageComics

18 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I think saying it's patently ridiculous is patently ridiculous. lol

I can tell you that when I heard the Immigrant Song played for the Thor trailer it nearly made me jump out of my skin as it was a perfect match.

I would have seen it regardless but I have no doubt that a soundtrack can often sway people who are neutral and definitely people will notice music when listening to a sound track.

The Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack was so popular that it's become a phenomenon to itself.

These are no longer 'comic book movies' and that is where you may not see the value of music. They are pop-culture fests and the more pop-culture you get for the dollar the more successful the film. They transcend comic books now.

You don't think music has an affect on movie marketing? I think you're mistaken.

Here's a couple of articles that demonstrate how difficult and expensive it is to use a Led Zeppelin song in a movie.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/7/16613232/thor-ragnarok-led-zeppelin-immigrant-song-taika-waititi

https://filmschoolrejects.com/led-zeppelin-hollywood-movie-trailer-music-9e16ab873187/

If they didn't have any significant impact then why do they spend so much time, money and effort on soundtracks?

You are moving the goalposts here quite a bit.

In your previous post you claimed that because of the music used in the film ITSELF more people will go see the movie. That is ridiculous.

Your attempt to legitimize that thought has now switched over to music used in the MARKETING of the movie will translate to more tickets sold. Those are two entirely different things.

Studios use famous songs in trailers because they are A) widely identifiable and memorable, and B) its an artistic choice. The idea here is that the person seeing the trailer remembers it, that it sticks with them. 

Nobody is looking watching movie trailers on Youtube, hearing Ballroom Blitz play during the Suicide Squad trailer and saying to himself, I'm a big fan of The Sweet, I'm going to go see this movie now (in the hopes that the song used in the trailer actually appears during the course of the movie. Hint: they rarely do). 

2 minutes ago, darkstar said:

You are moving the goalposts here quite a bit.

Am I? This is what I said:

I would add that Kendrick Lamar's musical score will also add to the dollars at the box office.

Hip - Hop and R+B culture rule music charts around the world and young people who feel a connection with a movie will be more prone to see it for that reason.

4 minutes ago, darkstar said:

In your previous post you claimed that because of the music used in the film ITSELF more people will go see the movie. That is ridiculous.

Your attempt to legitimize that thought has now switched over to music used in the MARKETING of the movie will translate to more tickets sold. Those are two entirely different things.

I said that the musical score would add dollars at the box office and people would be more prone to see it.

The fact that I did not use the word marketing specifically is irrelevant and a grasp at straws. It's obviously ALL a part of the marketing to get people in the door.

9 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Studios use famous songs in trailers because they are A) widely identifiable and memorable, and B) its an artistic choice. The idea here is that the person seeing the trailer remembers it, that it sticks with them. 

Awesome, so you DO agree with me. Thank you. :foryou:

5 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Nobody is looking watching movie trailers on Youtube, hearing Ballroom Blitz play during the Suicide Squad trailer and saying to himself, I'm a big fan of The Sweet, I'm going to go see this movie now (in the hopes that the song used in the trailer actually appears during the course of the movie. Hint: they rarely do). 

Nobody said they were.  Where did you read that in my post? (shrug)

What I said was that the music increased the appeal of the movie and made them more prone to seeing it.

But thanks for agreeing with me and then picking my post apart to find something to justify your 'patently ridiculous' comment. Here's another flower because I think internet arguments are silly. :foryou:

14 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Am I? This is what I said:

I said that the musical score would add dollars at the box office and people would be more prone to see it.

The fact that I did not use the word marketing specifically is irrelevant and a grasp at straws. It's obviously ALL a part of the marketing to get people in the door.

Awesome, so you DO agree with me. Thank you. :foryou:

Nobody said they were.  Where did you read that in my post? (shrug)

What I said was that the music increased the appeal of the movie and made them more prone to seeing it.

But thanks for agreeing with me and then picking my post apart to find something to justify your 'patently ridiculous' comment. Here's another flower because I think internet arguments are silly. :foryou:

Music used during the course of the film is not marketing. You claimed the score would drive ticket sales. That is nonsense. It is laughably stupid. Outside of musicals, people don't buy a movie ticket because of the music used during the film, or in the marketing of the film. 

4 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Music used during the course of the film is not marketing. You claimed the score would drive ticket sales. That is nonsense. It is laughably stupid. Outside of musicals, people don't buy a movie ticket because of the music used during the film, or in the marketing of the film. 

What I said was that people would be more prone to see it if the soundtrack appealed to them.

Your use of words like 'patently absurd' and 'laughably stupid' shows that you're about as mature as a 6th grader and since you're intent on being a jerkbutt I'll just agree to disagree.

Here's another flower.

:foryou:

13 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

What I said was that people would be more prone to see it if the soundtrack appealed to them.

Your use of words like 'patently absurd' and 'laughably stupid' shows that you're about as mature as a 6th grader and since you're intent on being a jerkbutt I'll just agree to disagree.

Here's another flower.

:foryou:

Stupidity should be acknowledged as such before it is allowed to spread like a virus. 

10 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Stupidity should be acknowledged as such before it is allowed to spread like a virus. 

Have you always been this angry?

6 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
48 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Have you always been this angry?

If I were to tell you that this is RockMyAmadeus, aka RMA, aka Lazyboy posting under one of his many shill accounts, would that answer this question?  

Knowing RMA personally I can state with a fair degree of certainty that it isn't him.

It does sound a little like Lazyboy but why do you think they are all one and the same?

5 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Knowing RMA personally I can state with a fair degree of certainty that it isn't him.

It does sound a little like Lazyboy but why do you think they are all one and the same?

Interesting.  I've seen some epically obscene, vulgar and angry posts by RMA that are very reminiscent of this guy on other boards. 

And I could give some convoluted speech about spelling/syntax/context and content clues, and provide a bunch of links as evidence, but I won't.  Instead I'll just call it a hunch and leave it at that. ;)

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:

You make a good point. I remember these trailers to Black Sabbath Iron Man feuling me to go see Iron Man movies.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

In watching the NBA All Star game tonight, it looks like Marvel is tying in some of it's marketing with the NBA All Star Celebrity game tonight in LA.

Michael B. Jordan is coaching tonight (and being introduced as a star of Marvel's new Black Panther movie) and they have already mentioned that Kendrick Lamar will be performing music from the Black Panther movie.

I guess my earlier post about this movie's music reaching a wider audience is on point since I don't remember Led Zeppelin performing at an NBA All Star game before. :whistle:

Film music, whether it be a traditional original score or rehashed popular music (like The Immigrant Song in Ragnarok), is used to create a hook between the viewer and the moving images.  To think that music used in a movie or even just a trailer ISN'T a draw for a cross section of the public-ranging from enthusiasts to passers by-is short sighted.  

Film score and orchestral enthusiasts definitely go out of their way to see movies scored by composers like Alexandre Desplat.  

I saw Black Panther last night -- it was great.  There's no doubt in my mind this movie is going to be a big success and spawn sequels.

But here's the thing ... as much as I loved this movie, my wife and daughter loved it twice as much as I did, if that's possible.  It's hard to escape the movie's politics, and while I wouldn't call it polarizing in the slightest (except maybe for people who willfully choose to make it so) I would say anyone who's on the progressive side is going to be cheering throughout.  Yes, the film is very much about powerful black people, but it's also very much about powerful women.  Plus (micro-spoiler) T'Challa makes a nice little speech at the end that might as well be aimed directly at our current president.

With regard to music, my daughter (who is almost 16) was all over it and called it her favorite soundtrack of any Marvel movie.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 2/7/2018 at 5:46 PM, VintageComics said:

FF #52 has been on the map for a loooong time.

With us in comic culture yes, but now mainstream knows about it because of the Black Panther movie. The audience for FF#52 got a whole a lot bigger now on the map.

See how powerful Hollywood is?

Similar to Tales to Astonish #13 first Groot. Groot was just a bit player in comics but is now a merchandising star.

Do you know more people have watched Watchmen than have actually read the Watchmen graphic novel?

Hollywood is the biggest factor when it comes to a superheroes popularity.

Without Hollywood hype none of the keys would have broken the records they have.

That's why I keep a cautious eye on the DC stuff as they look like they are getting a very negative reaction to their Hollywood stuff while Marvel continues to reach new heights.

I hope people sold their FF#45s and replaced them with FF#52s.

Why 'Black Panther' will be the biggest pop culture moment of 2018

Soaring advance ticket sales. Parties and theater rentals. Cosplay. A social media tsunami of excitement.

“The Black Panther” is set to open this week with the sort of fanfare that hasn’t been seen since … oh, perhaps “Star Wars: The Last Jedi”?

“Yeah, but it’s way bigger than that,” says Maia Crown Williams, founder of the Midwest Ethnic Convention of Comics and Arts, aka MECCAcon, an annual black and multi-ethnic comic book convention held in Detroit.

“It’s a bigger deal than people realize,” says Williams, who's involved with several "Black Panther" events, including a screening party in Farmington Hills. “This movie has been waited for for a mighty long time.”

At Emagine Entertainment, which is headquartered in metro Detroit and has 17 theaters in Michigan, Minnesota and Illinois, “Black Panther" is expected to outperform "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" in terms of events and number of attendees.

So fair, Emagine has sold 22,000 advance tickets for "Black Panther" chain-wide, or about 10 percent more than it did for “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” in 2017.

And with 100 individual theaters inside multiplexes reserved for special events, "Black Panther" also is closing in on the “Star Wars: Last Jedi” number of 112.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/movies/julie-hinds/2018/02/11/black-panther-movie-detroit-pop-culture/323308002/

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I hope people sold their FF#45s and replaced them with FF#52s.

Why 'Black Panther' will be the biggest pop culture moment of 2018

Soaring advance ticket sales. Parties and theater rentals. Cosplay. A social media tsunami of excitement.

“The Black Panther” is set to open this week with the sort of fanfare that hasn’t been seen since … oh, perhaps “Star Wars: The Last Jedi”?

“Yeah, but it’s way bigger than that,” says Maia Crown Williams, founder of the Midwest Ethnic Convention of Comics and Arts, aka MECCAcon, an annual black and multi-ethnic comic book convention held in Detroit.

“It’s a bigger deal than people realize,” says Williams, who's involved with several "Black Panther" events, including a screening party in Farmington Hills. “This movie has been waited for for a mighty long time.”

At Emagine Entertainment, which is headquartered in metro Detroit and has 17 theaters in Michigan, Minnesota and Illinois, “Black Panther" is expected to outperform "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" in terms of events and number of attendees.

So fair, Emagine has sold 22,000 advance tickets for "Black Panther" chain-wide, or about 10 percent more than it did for “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” in 2017.

And with 100 individual theaters inside multiplexes reserved for special events, "Black Panther" also is closing in on the “Star Wars: Last Jedi” number of 112.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/movies/julie-hinds/2018/02/11/black-panther-movie-detroit-pop-culture/323308002/

Gotta chill with the the jumbo font. Starting to feel like pumping...