• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

I originally asked in my post about cloning if genetics plays a part in Force affinity, but then I edited it back out after I remembered that both Luke and Leia inherited Anakin's genetics and were strong in the Force.  If not genetics, I don't know what else would have passed Force affinity on to both of them.

Edited by fantastic_four

14 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:
  Hide contents

LOL if you think Han and Leia just gave up Rey.

You and I disagree on TLJ - I loved it, you hated it. 

However, I stand by my statement that JJ is a hack when it comes to SW movies.  Picture this, Luke and Leia concealed the fact that she was having twins from Han.  Leia gives birth while Han is away.  One child goes into hiding.  Rey is the child that goes into hiding.  Why would they do something like that?  Because JJ is a hack. 

11 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

However, I stand by my statement that JJ is a hack when it comes to SW movies.  Picture this, Luke and Leia concealed the fact that she was having twins from Han.  Leia gives birth while Han is away.  One child goes into hiding.  Rey is the child that goes into hiding.  Why would they do something like that?  Because JJ is a hack. 

They did it because Han was out masquerading as Darth Only (note the tactful play on Solo).  Luke And Leia feared that Rey would also fall victim to her father’s undying obsession with making the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.  Just don’t ask why Sith allegiance and hyper space navigation make sense in conjunction.

Now THAT’S theater...

12 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

After reading the spoilers for this movie, trust me, everyone is going to be scratching their heads wondering why and what.  

Linkie?

8 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

If that happens - you're right.

I'm thinking (and hoping) it doesn't. JJ is only a co-writer after all, so he's had some help on the story creative side.

I simply know that it'll be visually stunning and well-directed. Well-written? TBD. At least there will be a lightsaber duel...

14 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I originally asked in my post about cloning if genetics plays a part in Force affinity, but then I edited it back out after I remembered that both Luke and Leia inherited Anakin's genetics and were strong in the Force.  If not genetics, I don't know what else would have passed Force affinity on to both of them.

Actually there's at least one more obvious example in the films of Force affinity apparently being passed on via genetics that somehow eluded me--Ben Solo, who presumably got it from Leia.

What I would like to see:

• Kylo Ren not turn to the 'light'.
  • Maybe disown the name Kylo Ren because he finds out the other Knights of Ren work closely with the Emperor.
  • Palpatine didn't keep Kylo close because he sensed the 'light' in him and feared another Vader situation (betrayal).
  • Snoke was a pawn of Sidious and his fears (obviously) became reality.
  • Ben Solo kills the Knights of Ren to earn/force status as Darth Sidious' new apprentice (his temper could easily fuel this).
  • Maybe "The Rise of Skywalker" as Ben uses it as his surname, instead of Solo, because he loved Leia and was trained by Luke.
  • Maybe Palpatine created Rey to be the next Vader, and that's why she's such a Mary Sue...?
  • Ben wants to kill Rey, but Palpatine thinks he can turn her more than him (despite his desire to be dark side), so he interferes?
  • Ben kills Sidious because he's sick of all the Dark Side drama and want to be the King of Evil.
  • Rey kills Ben and the Dark Side is officially dead. To keep the balance, Rey has a Force Aneurysm and join the other Jedi in death.

TBF it's not "self-manufactured". RJ potentially ruined a promising-looking trilogy by trying to be edgy, pandering to real-life subjects even if Star Wars has always been somewhat political, and seeking to "subvert expectations" at every turn. He forgot the ole "fool me once" saying when it comes to that, though.

TLJ being whoop-diddy-scoop poop doesn't change childhood memories, but it does sour a once-religious following of a storied franchise for a lot of people. My local ticket sales reflect that.

29 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

What I would like to see. 

• Fewer people claiming that their childhood was ruined. 
  • Less self manufactured butthurt. 

May as well throw world peace, complete automation of all human endeavors, and infinite resources for everyone in there too since you're wishing for the impossible.  :blush:  

2 hours ago, mattn792 said:

More Death Stars!  At least 6 of them!

Yahtzee!!!!

Six transforming deathstars that become a galaxy destroying robot. Put Michael Bay at the helm.