• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

He never 'was' his Skywalker.  First he was Lucas' and then he was Disney's.

I will always concede though that as a collective narrative viewed as a collection of trilogies, that if I had to rank them:

Original, Prequels, then the Sequels.

The sequels lose points as they are somewhat (not entirely, but somewhat) outside of Lucas' vision as well as painfully derivative storytelling of Episode 7.

They should have followed Lucas's vision of Luke.

Lucas is not infallible as we see with the Prequels, but he still did better than RJ!

I agree Ep 7 is very trite, but still way better than Ep 8! 

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

You can always weigh in on the PGX GA Cap 45 I just bought in the CLink auction and what will happen after a press and a resubmit under CGC.   

Have you had success with PGX slabs? I don't trust their grading anymore than I trust @Hollywood1892 's choice of haberdashery! lol

1 minute ago, comics4all said:

They should have followed Lucas's vision of Luke.

Lucas is not infallible as we see with the Prequels, but he still did better than RJ!

I agree Ep 7 is very trite, but still way better than Ep 8! 

I still contend that 7 is the weakest.  I honestly cannot stand lazy storytelling and even JJ when called upon it has said that he did a 'fan service'.  Puh-leeze.  If anything it has tainted a lot of other work that JJ has done as I cannot help but look at his worth through the filter of, "where did this come from?"

5 minutes ago, comics4all said:

If PGX graded it a 4.5, Cgc will come back as a 1.8 ! lol

My  Hulk 181 was graded a 6.5  by PGX.  After a press and resub CGC gave it a 9,0.  This was from the same time period as the Cap was graded.

We can complain about directors, but they're not the problem.  When you've got an ongoing story like Star Wars, you need a gatekeeper of the lore who doesn't let directors get off-track.  Kathleen Kennedy is a great producer, but she's not the one to be the gatekeeper.  Someone with intimate knowledge, love, and understanding of the content and characters needs to be that person, someone like perhaps Pablo Hidalgo.  Or maybe not, I know very little about him.  You can't leave it up to directors, because sometimes you get one who's great with the material, but most often you don't.  Sam Raimi did great, Christopher Nolan did great, and Irvin Kershner did great, but there's an element of luck to their selection.  You won't always luck out leaving a work mostly up to directors.

Kevin Feige is that guy for Marvel.  I'd love for Lucas to be that guy again for Star Wars, but he was just worn out for whatever reason.  He would've been a PHENOMENAL guy just playing the Feige role of giving general guidelines for films somewhat like he did with Episodes V and VI--although he did exert a ton of control over both of those films that drove the directors nuts--but something about his ego never let him do it.  I'm shocked that they're actually trying to stretch Feige out thin with his own Star Wars movie, but who knows, maybe he'll get them on track.

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I still contend that 7 is the weakest.  I honestly cannot stand lazy storytelling and even JJ when called upon it has said that he did a 'fan service'.  Puh-leeze.  If anything it has tainted a lot of other work that JJ has done as I cannot help but look at his worth through the filter of, "where did this come from?"

I finally agree with you:  7 is lazy storytelling!

another death star, a droid has the secret plans, Chewie get ignored at the end of the movie lol

JJ had disney to pressure him to get their billions back, he told the story too safe. 

but it is still better than 8 ! 8 just stinks! 

22 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

He never 'was' his Skywalker.  First he was Lucas' and then he was Disney's.

I will always concede though that as a collective narrative viewed as a collection of trilogies, that if I had to rank them:

Original, Prequels, then the Sequels.

The sequels lose points as they are somewhat (not entirely, but somewhat) outside of Lucas' vision as well as painfully derivative storytelling of Episode 7.

Agreed

Problem is people want to see the characters they love evolve, than it just becomes watered down 

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

We can complain about directors, but they're not the problem.  When you've got an ongoing story like Star Wars, you need a gatekeeper of the lore who doesn't let directors get off-track.  Kathleen Kennedy is a great producer, but she's not the one to be the gatekeeper.  Someone with intimate knowledge, love, and understanding of the content and characters needs to be that person, someone like perhaps Pablo Hidalgo.  Or maybe not, I know very little about him.  You can't leave it up to directors, because sometimes you get one who's great with the material, but most often you don't.  Sam Raimi did great, Christopher Nolan did great, and Irvin Kershner did great, but there's an element of luck to their selection.  You won't always luck out leaving a work mostly up to directors.

Kevin Feige is that guy for Marvel.  I'd love for Lucas to be that guy again for Star Wars, but he was just worn out for whatever reason.  He would've been a PHENOMENAL guy just playing the Feige role of giving general guidelines for films somewhat like he did with Episodes V and VI--although he did exert a ton of control over both of those films that drove the directors nuts--but something about his ego never let him do it.  I'm shocked that they're actually trying to stretch Feige out thin with his own Star Wars movie, but who knows, maybe he'll get them on track.

Didn't Lucas want to be that guy, but Iger said no?

MCU is the only franchise whose stuck it out. Endgame is the only movie in which its fan-service has truly paid off. That's what makes it such a lifetime event for so many people.

9 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

My  Hulk 181 was graded a 6.5  by PGX.  After a press and resub CGC gave it a 9,0.  This was from the same time period as the Cap was graded.

That is awesome!

If i tell you TLJ was great will you gift me the 9.0 of IH 181?

lol

15 minutes ago, comics4all said:

That is awesome!

If i tell you TLJ was great will you gift me the 9.0 of IH 181?

lol

You cannot have any of my three copies 😈

15 minutes ago, comics4all said:
25 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I finally agree with you:  7 is lazy storytelling!

another death star, a droid has the secret plans, Chewie get ignored at the end of the movie lol

JJ had disney to pressure him to get their billions back, he told the story too safe. 

but it is still better than 8 ! 8 just stinks! 

I really hope the leaks I’ve seen aren’t true :wishluck:

I know most people avoid spoilers so I won’t say anything further, but those who have seen them will know what I mean. 

4 minutes ago, Foley said:

I know most people avoid spoilers so I won’t say anything further, but those who have seen them will know what I mean. 

I am avoiding them as I want to walk in blind.  I want to like it and I feel as if I know what happens first then I will put too much thought into it. 

1 hour ago, Foley said:

I've been avoiding them too

I have seen the trailers & they showed a few things they shouldn't have IMO! 

So what are you saying ? Ep 9 will be worse than Ep 8?  :pullhair:

1 minute ago, comics4all said:

I've been avoiding them too

I have seen the trailers & they showed a few things they shouldn't have IMO! 

So what are you saying ? Ep 9 will be worse than Ep 8?  :pullhair:

Not necessarily, but I can say no more out of fear for mob vengeance lol 

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

You should see my ASM 14 hoard.  6? 7 Copies?

Are you trying to make me dislike you! lol

ASM 14 is on my grail list!!!!

I have a copy of  IH 181, but it is raw & not a 9.0! If pressed it might get a 6.5/7.0