• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,923 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, rckstr1253 said:

So a bunch of  you already knew i suffer from depression and took some time away from comics to try and get better mentally, which caused me to put off buying a hulk 181 i wanted momths back, do you guys think the prices on a 5.0-7.5 will come back down to january prices or at this point, the book is at a price point of no return and not attainable?

In my opinion it’s the point of no return unless economy splats

9 minutes ago, jason4 said:

At one time cgc considered pressing restoration. Purple label of death. After 2008(not sure of this date) cgc started to recognize pressing as not restoration and blue label and partnered with ccs....tons of hulk 181s came back to cgc for the crack press reslab routine and you then had a big amount of new 9.6’s and 9.8 flood the market lowering prices on everything beneath. Same for lots of Bronze Age books. Correct me if I’m wrong.

You are absolutely wrong. CGC never considered pressing to be restoration, although not everybody realized that from the beginning

There was quite a bit of discussion about pressing years ago (way before 2008). You can look up the old threads (that are still available) and see that CGC definitely did not consider pressing to be restoration.

Edited by Lazyboy

8 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

You are absolutely wrong. CGC never considered pressing to be restoration, although not everybody realized that from the beginning

There was quite a bit of discussion about pressing years ago (way before 2008). You can look up the old threads (that are still available) and see that CGC definitely did not consider pressing to be restoration.

Ok thank you for correcting me. I was wrong as hell then. Not even sure where I got that info but for last few years that’s what I believed. I guess it was all about the economy then why the bronze books like 181 crashed in high grade.

28 minutes ago, jason4 said:

At one time cgc considered pressing restoration. Purple label of death. After 2008(not sure of this date) cgc started to recognize pressing as not restoration and blue label and partnered with ccs....tons of hulk 181s came back to cgc for the crack press reslab routine and you then had a big amount of new 9.6’s and 9.8 flood the market lowering prices on everything beneath. Same for lots of Bronze Age books. Correct me if I’m wrong.

i think perhaps some people thought you might be overlooking the subprime housing crisis and global financial crisis that also happened in 2008-2009. but it sounds like the pressing/ restoration issue also was a legitimate factor in price drops. still, all books seem to have had prices drop for 1-2 years during that time, not just common bronze age books, according to GPA analysis.

5 hours ago, rckstr1253 said:

So a bunch of  you already knew i suffer from depression and took some time away from comics to try and get better mentally, which caused me to put off buying a hulk 181 i wanted momths back, do you guys think the prices on a 5.0-7.5 will come back down to january prices or at this point, the book is at a price point of no return and not attainable?

it's possible that it might come down some. look at AF15 last year. still, it shouldn't come down dramatically unless there is a large global crisis. i would get one now if i found a good one for a fair price, even though i know i might lose 10-20 per cent in the short term, because i feel confidently that within two years it will have done very well, based on past performance. 

24 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

but they did note it on the label for awhile, right??

10 minutes ago, jason4 said:

Ok thank you for correcting me. I was wrong as hell then. Not even sure where I got that info but for last few years that’s what I believed. I guess it was all about the economy then why the bronze books like 181 crashed in high grade.

Another major reason was the filling out of the census. Lots of books sold for stupid money when there were few in grade on the census because people foolishly thought they might actually be that rare. Then there were more and prices began to normalize.

The population of CGC 9.8 Incredible Hulk 181s increased significantly (by %) each year from 2007-2010 after increasing by only 1 copy per year before that.

That's not unique to IH 181, but that's the topic of this thread. If you want to see census histories, check out @valiantman's site: http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc

That was, of course, partially driven by the increase in pressing

Another thing to consider is the increase in speculation and when the comics market really changed because of that.

I'm not saying the economy didn't have an impact, but that there are many factors just in the hobby.

2 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

but they did note it on the label for awhile, right??

Only in conjunction with (wet) cleaning, which confused (and obviously continues to confuse) some people.

6 hours ago, rogue14 said:

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking just couldn’t help and think it’s a decent price. I’ll just get my low copy signed by Stan, and look for a higher blue label.

Worth getting a low grade pressed? All spine ticks look to break the color so probably not but figured I’d ask.

It's not a decent price, it's an incomplete book.

Personally I'd say keep it the way it is, maybe get it pressed if you feel like it. There's really not much point in getting it graded currently if you're not looking to sell/trade it.

Edited by Howling Mad

1 hour ago, Paul_Maul said:

How could they, when they claim they can’t detect it? 

someone just shared a book on here within the last week that had an old cgc label and it said PRESSED on the label. just cant remember what the book was or what color the label was. 

4 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i think perhaps some people thought you might be overlooking the subprime housing crisis and global financial crisis that also happened in 2008-2009. but it sounds like the pressing/ restoration issue also was a legitimate factor in price drops. still, all books seem to have had prices drop for 1-2 years during that time, not just common bronze age books, according to GPA analysis.

There was no crash or significant price drops for 181. Was flat until 2012 when the upward movement began. Whomever bought a copy in 2011 probably doubled their money by now in most grades

18 hours ago, rckstr1253 said:

First, I hope the depression has gotten better.

With the prices of Hulk #181.

Most likely will continue to go up.

A few reasons.

1. It is the key of the bronze age. Top dog.

2. A lot of people who missed the boat on AF#15 are going to this now. 

3. If the Disney rumors are true that Marvel now owns the rights to Wolverine and the X-Men than expect another bump when Marvel themselves make Wolverine movies.

17 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

someone just shared a book on here within the last week that had an old cgc label and it said PRESSED on the label. just cant remember what the book was or what color the label was. 

CGC used to note pressing if (and ONLY if) it was combined with aqueous or solvent (not dry) cleaning. CGC has never noted pressing on its own. 

It has caused much confusion. 

On 7/2/2018 at 10:26 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

First, I hope the depression has gotten better.

With the prices of Hulk #181.

Most likely will continue to go up.

A few reasons.

1. It is the key of the bronze age. Top dog.

2. A lot of people who missed the boat on AF#15 are going to this now. 

3. If the Disney rumors are true that Marvel now owns the rights to Wolverine and the X-Men than expect another bump when Marvel themselves make Wolverine movies.

Thanks....im doing a little better but now got to figure out how to get my hands on a hulk 181

1 hour ago, thedude said:

back in February I offered my CGC 6.5 ow here on the boards sales thread for $1700, aaaaand, no one cared. what are 6.5s going for now?

GPA shows $2000 -$2400 range, but a 6.0 popped for $2750 last week. Impressive, blue chip book. 

9 hours ago, thedude said:

back in February I offered my CGC 6.5 ow here on the boards sales thread for $1700, aaaaand, no one cared. what are 6.5s going for now?

Dang, looks like I missed out on a deal.