• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,923 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Personally, it’s not entirely about the $$. I’m a very literal, black and white, kinda guy. First appearance is first appearance...if a baby is born on July 1 at 11:59pm, July 1st is its b-day, not July 2nd. However, I acknowledge the popular opinion of the market and that this has been beat to a pulp over the decades.  :preach:

I agree, but when you look at the framed photo celebrating the birth of that child born at 11:59pm, it is usually the first photo taken in the hospital in the baby's mother's arms.  That photo is celebrated and shared with family and friends and maybe even passed around every year on the July 1st birthday... and it is the image that was technically taken on July 2nd because there wasn't a decent photo to frame from the 11:59pm event. :grin:

Assuming this recent run up is due to the Fox-Disney sale news (much like the run up in X-Men 1, FF1&5 and FF48) I am not sure it is the best time to buy given Comcast’s entry into the sales process. Where do all these books (rising at a meteoric rate) go if Disney does not get the rights?

i love Hulk 181 and want a copy - but there does not seem to be a solid foundation for the rate of the rise in prices. No way this is a $2,000 book in 5.5 - especially with the availability of the book. The book is not even remotely scarce - people are just hoarding it hoping to cash in. I would buy at the right price right now - say 90 day average but some of these last sales numbers are crazy (and everyone seems to want to set a GPA high)

*** Woot 1,000th post :) ***

Edited by Chillax23

12 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

Assuming this recent run up is due to the Fox-Disney sale news (much like the run up in X-Men 1, FF1&5 and FF48) I am not sure it is the best time to buy given Comcast’s entry into the sales process. Where do all these books (rising at a meteoric rate) go if Disney does not get the rights?

i love Hulk 181 and want a copy - but there does not seem to be a solid foundation for the rate of the rise in prices. No way this is a $2,000 book in 5.5 - especially with the availability of the book. The book is not even remotely scarce - people are just hoarding it hoping to cash in. I would buy at the right price right now - say 90 day average but some of these last sales numbers are crazy (and everyone seems to want to set a GPA high)

*** Woot 1,000th post :) ***

I totally agree with you.  The book IS NOT scarce, but it's on everyone's want list (like spidey 300 and new mutants 98 in the copper age)  So while it's plentiful, demand is over the top for this book.

Will it drop? Sure, eventually, it has to.  But I don't see it cratering to levels from 2-3 years ago.  Iconic cover, iconic character===$$$$$$$$$$

calling 180 wolverine's first appearance is sort of comparable to early action and detective comics. the second appearance of batman and superman are both in books where he is not on the cover. which books are the most desired and valuable? the second, third and fourth COVER appearances, not interior. in any case, there is no one who wants a 180 instead of a 181. if you want one book, it's 181. seems pretty obvious. 180 could be rarer in decent shape since it doesn't appear to be a significant issue based on the cover, and so wasn't stored away as much. but i think it probably feels rarer because it hasn't been very valued until more recently. therefore it wasn't really considered worth grading or auctioning by a lot of folks who would have graded 181 if they had it. 

anyway, isnt this thread about the 'hotness' of 181? 

4 hours ago, 360racer said:

Incredible. The supposed 9.4 looks much worse than that, it has numerous spine creases, a significant top edge impact, tanning and a back cover stain. What does the grade look like to you?

14 hours ago, Paul_Maul said:

Incredible. The supposed 9.4 looks much worse than that, it has numerous spine creases, a significant top edge impact, tanning and a back cover stain. What does the grade look like to you?

Don't worry about it. Like the ad says, a good pressing will magically remove that color breaking top edge crease and tear. 

6 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

I just sold my raw 8.0 on the boards this past Friday for $3,800 USD.

congratulations! that is truly a psychotic price for a raw eight. cgc 8.0 WP just sold for exactly 3k on heritage about 3 weeks ago. i dont think anyone saw that auction somehow.

I hesitated on a 9.4 in January and decided to snag a GA Joker cover Tec and upgrade my Batman #181 instead since I figured Hulk #181 had topped out a bit once it hit the $5K mark. doh!

If anyone wants this book, buy now. A few years from now people will be like "Oh, I could have gotten that book for 4K, now look at the selling price!! "  Happens all the time. Stop wasting time and pull the trigger. 

On 5/24/2018 at 4:11 PM, jason4 said:

I think many collectors like myself have to keep it in the collection. I don’t plan on ever selling my copy unless to upgrade. Hence less copies for sale than other plentiful issues and the extremely high demand leading to higher prices

Sounds like i might need to start saving to upgrade soon.

Better to sell and upgrade or keep and upgrade?

Edited by rogue14
Verbiage

4 hours ago, rogue14 said:

Sounds like i might need to start saving to upgrade soon.

Better to sell and upgrade or keep and upgrade?

Sell off something else to upgrade and keep your current copy. It is a book that will keep on running.