• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The odd comic-combo shop you have run across
2 2

61 posts in this topic

We all know the popular Sportscard/Comic shop.  Any weird shops in your lifetime that doubles as a comic book shop and something else?

Many years ago we had a Locksmith & Comic book shop.  Locks in the front, back issues in the back, no new stuff. 

Comic book/Head shop.  Not sure how I feel about this.  Little Jimmy being taken to by his mom to a store for his latest Spiderman book while walking past the funny looking tobacco pipes.   

Yours?

22 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

We all know the popular Sportscard/Comic shop.  Any weird shops in your lifetime that doubles as a comic book shop and something else?

Many years ago we had a Locksmith & Comic book shop.  Locks in the front, back issues in the back, no new stuff. 

Comic book/Head shop.  Not sure how I feel about this.  Little Jimmy being taken to by his mom to a store for his latest Spiderman book while walking past the funny looking tobacco pipes.   

Yours?

A guy I know is opening one with a tattoo artist; books up front and parlor in the back.

7 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

A guy I know is opening one with a tattoo artist; books up front and parlor in the back.

Speaking of which, Fan Expo Dallas is coming up! After they announced comic artists, I noticed they have a space for tattoo artists....they had them last year as well.... I don't like it.... is this a southern thing? Do they have this elsewhere too? 

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Speaking of which, Fan Expo Dallas is coming up! After they announced comic artists, I noticed they have a space for tattoo artists....they had them last year as well.... I don't like it.... is this a southern thing? Do they have this elsewhere too? 

Geez, I dunno...I'm in the northeast, and I have no tattoos. Just comic books. 

But they certainly have gone from a bikers and sailors thing years ago to much more mainstream.

13 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes, the Calgary Expo and Edmonton Expo have had tattoo artist booths and they did very well.

1 minute ago, Readcomix said:

Geez, I dunno...I'm in the northeast, and I have no tattoos. Just comic books. 

But they certainly have gone from a bikers and sailors thing years ago to much more mainstream.

I mean I thought it was weird O.o

But wanted to check my barometer or something to see if I was just out of touch lol

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

Yes, the Calgary Expo and Edmonton Expo have had tattoo artist booths and they did very well.

Okay well that checks out then. I thought maybe it was to cut down on the sword etc shops. They had a whole row for tatoos last year.

I feel I should enter a sceinfeld, " not that there is anything wrong with that" meme. 

Just something I found odd. But they're having over 50 comic artists this year, so I guess, I can't complain :)

2 minutes ago, Stephen H said:

There is a comic shop and tattoo parlor out near my in Las Vegas, never been to it.

For a short period of time there was also a guy that ran a place in the back of an Ethiopian Market...lol, true story. Neither lasted long. Think it was called Back Room Comics.

Yeah, but you're in Vegas. The Ethiopian market probably had a tattoo artist, strippers and an Elvis impersonator too. 

Just now, Readcomix said:

Yeah, but you're in Vegas. The Ethiopian market probably had a tattoo artist, strippers and an Elvis impersonator too. 

Well.....maybe, less and less impersonators these days, but I can get Coffee from a girl in pasties on my way to work. So there is that.

21 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

That's what I would think, but I have never scored comics in a record shop. Tried several.

Wuxtry, in Carbondale, Illinois was my first comic shop.  It was primarily a used record store, but they also sold comic books, back in 1977-81 or so.  I remember sifting through stacks of old books while listening to whatever they had playing in the store.  It wasn't till a few years later that I realized how many times I heard Elvis Costello's "Armed Forces" while digging through old comics.

37 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

That's what I would think, but I have never scored comics in a record shop. Tried several.

My old lcs replaced half the back issue bins with his vintage records. Sold those until all the goid stuff was gone. Right before ebay killed records.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I would think there have to be vintage record and comic shops.

Missouri Record and Comics based out of Florida. Was one of the largest collection of Comics out there. They have videos on YouTube showing off their warehouse. Josh is the owner and is a great guy. This was my go to place, unfortunately they just closed their website and soon to be closing their business. 

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I mean I thought it was weird O.o

But wanted to check my barometer or something to see if I was just out of touch lol

Okay well that checks out then. I thought maybe it was to cut down on the sword etc shops. They had a whole row for tatoos last year.

I feel I should enter a sceinfeld, " not that there is anything wrong with that" meme. 

Just something I found odd. But they're having over 50 comic artists this year, so I guess, I can't complain :)

We know the tattoo shop owner who sets up at shows as he also sells comics and toys.  His artists were fully booked for all 4 days of the Calgary Expo.