• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about glued speech bubbles coming off

14 posts in this topic

The glue on this page is drying up and the speech bubbles are falling off.  The parts where the glue was has yellowed.

Would anyone more experienced give any advice on attaching these back. 

Am I okay to use normal glue stick to add these back or would that damage the art further.  

Any advice would be appreciated.

F69C11D4-17BD-4480-87ED-3F5FD86A11F6.thumb.jpeg.1dcb7f8b78d16e552d2f96e2a7f6714e.jpeg

Edited by Skizz

1 hour ago, Skizz said:

The glue on this page is drying up and the speech bubbles are falling off.  The parts where the glue was has yellowed.

Would anyone more experienced give any advice on attaching these back. 

Am I okay to use normal glue stick to add these back or would that damage the art further.  

Many advice would be appreciated.

Yes, please share, as I would also sincerely appreciate some guidance here. Some of my pages from Batman and Detective from 1983-1984 are having the same issue.

16 hours ago, cstojano said:

I contacted a well known restorer about this issue and the quoted costs for a standard size page were 450 to clean the old glue off and remount and 75-100 to do a single bubble stat replacement. 

The difficulty is that the page itself isn’t worth more than $150 - $200.  So spent $75 for a speech per bubble seems a bit disproportionate.

Has anyone here satisfactorily re-glued falling bubbles/stats themselves. Or is that a no no and would that cause too much damage in the long run. 

16 minutes ago, Skizz said:

The difficulty is that the page itself isn’t worth more than $150 - $200.  So spent $75 for a speech per bubble seems a bit disproportionate.

Has anyone here satisfactorily re-glued falling bubbles/stats themselves. Or is that a no no and would that cause too much damage in the long run. 

Its been discussed many times, archival glue stick is fine.  I think I did a few early on, but haven't bothered to do so since.

Malvin

5 minutes ago, malvin said:

Its been discussed many times, archival glue stick is fine.  I think I did a few early on, but haven't bothered to do so since.

Malvin

Thanks for this.

pardon my ignorance, I don’t really know what archival glue is.

I punched it in Amazon and an item came up with the description 

“Craft Bond Repositionable Glue Stick. Repositionable bond, acid-free, photo safe and non-toxic. 40g”

Would this be deemed archival glue?

15 minutes ago, Skizz said:

Thanks for this.

pardon my ignorance, I don’t really know what archival glue is.

I punched it in Amazon and an item came up with the description 

“Craft Bond Repositionable Glue Stick. Repositionable bond, acid-free, photo safe and non-toxic. 40g”

Would this be deemed archival glue?

yup, that works, acid free is all you need.

Malvin

I had the exact same problem happen and asked some guys from Heritage at WW Chicago and that is what they said but another guy there had a different opinion and confused me. It is nice to get some confirmation.

2 hours ago, malvin said:

Malvin

You want to  make sure you use archival glue that does not yellow with age, or bunch up as it hardens.

I have had to reattach many word balloons and other stats to comic art. What to use is best test acids free paper cement aka rubber cement). It’s used by many artists and designers. You must apply it on the word ballon and the bristol page and let dry. Minute is good. Then apply balloon to art. It does the best job and won’t turn the paper yellow as it’s acid free.

Edited by Brian Peck

27 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

I have had to reattach many word balloons and other stats to comic art. What is use is best test acids free paper cement aka rubber cement). It’s used by many artists and designers. You must apply it on the word ballon and the bristol page and let dry. Minute is good. Then apply balloon to art. It does the best job and won’t turn the paper yellow as it’s acid free.

Thanks for the tip!