• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT COMPLETE COMIC-BOOK RUNS HAVE YOU SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED ?
5 5

115 posts in this topic

On 2/2/2018 at 7:29 PM, oakman29 said:

The Warren horror runs however have been the most fun to collect. The art and stories just hit the spot for me.

I second that emotion.

On 2/2/2018 at 9:30 PM, oakman29 said:

One thing is for sure for run collectors.

Patience.:pullhair: is a lesson learned.

Yeah... well... um...

I hadn't made a point of collecting comics, let alone "full runs" of them, before this year, really.  With some Christmas money, I ended up finishing my "full runs" of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers and Fat Freddy's Cat comics in January...

But then, in the last two months, I've set the world ground speed record for collecting (almost) full Warren runs...

EERIE #2-#139 (+3 Yearbook/Annuals--once the #23 I have on order from Belgium makes its way across the pond) (And I will NEVER have EERIE #1, so fuhgeddaboudit)

CREEPY #1-#9, #11-#28, #30-#43, and #45-#146 (+5 Yearbooks/Annuals)

VAMPIRELLA #1-#113 (NO Annual)

The ROOK #1-#14 (+Warren Presents #6 "ROOK Special")

The GOBLIN #1-#3

CREEPY The Limited Series (Harris) #1-#4 (+1993 Fearbook)

CREEPY (Dark Horse) #1-#24

EERIE (Dark Horse) #1-#8

The CREEPS (Warrant) #1-#32 (+4 Annuals)

So I'm afraid patience is a lesson I've yet to learn.  That said, I'm hoping to stretch out my searches for Blazing Combat #1-#4, Comix Iternational #1-#5, The SPIRIT #1-#16, and 1984/1994 #1-#29 for as long as possible.  And then probably every Christmas or so I'll order all the back issues of SHUDDER and VAMPIRESS CARMILLA from that year as well.  The jury is still out on HELP!

I am NOT getting into Famous Monsters of Filmland!  Everyone has to have limits.

On 4/17/2022 at 3:43 PM, Axe Elf said:

I second that emotion.

Yeah... well... um...

I hadn't made a point of collecting comics, let alone "full runs" of them, before this year, really.  With some Christmas money, I ended up finishing my "full runs" of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers and Fat Freddy's Cat comics in January...

But then, in the last two months, I've set the world ground speed record for collecting (almost) full Warren runs...

EERIE #2-#139 (+3 Yearbook/Annuals--once the #23 I have on order from Belgium makes its way across the pond) (And I will NEVER have EERIE #1, so fuhgeddaboudit)

The GOBLIN #1-#3

EERIE (Dark Horse) #1-#8

So I'm afraid patience is a lesson I've yet to learn.  That said, I'm hoping to stretch out my searches for Blazing Combat #1-#4, Comix Iternational #1-#5, The SPIRIT #1-#16, and 1984/1994 #1-#29 for as long as possible.  And then probably every Christmas or so I'll order all the back issues of SHUDDER and VAMPIRESS CARMILLA from that year as well.  The jury is still out on HELP!

I am NOT getting into Famous Monsters of Filmland!  Everyone has to have limits.

Right on! I am incredibly amazed at your progress 

Good show.🤘

On 4/17/2022 at 3:43 PM, Axe Elf said:

I second that emotion.

Yeah... well... um...

The GOBLIN #1-#3

EERIE (Dark Horse) #1-#8

I know Help just seems uninteresting to me.

I do want a Famous Monsters of Filmland #1 though. I just cant see myself getting a whole run of that magnitude. 

On 4/17/2022 at 6:55 PM, oakman29 said:

I know Help just seems uninteresting to me.

I do want a Famous Monsters of Filmland #1 though. I just cant see myself getting a whole run of that magnitude. 

Yeah, there are just SO MANY, and SO MANY that are SO EXPENSIVE!  But even then, I'd be tempted if I were all that interested in the content--but I mainly just like the Warren horror/fantasy/sci-fi comic magazines.  I don't even care about a #1.  They just don't interest me at all.

The ONLY thing that has me on the fence about the HELP! series is that someone told me there are some Wonder Warthog stories in them (early work by the Fabulous Furry Freak Bros/Fat Freddy's Cat main man), and the first appearance of Fritz the Cat (of which I am a mild Crumb fan, but probly know more about Fritz from the Bakshi movie).  Other than that, they look more like a poor man's MAD magazine than a Warren publication, so, meh.

On 4/17/2022 at 5:03 PM, Axe Elf said:

Yeah, there are just SO MANY, and SO MANY that are SO EXPENSIVE!  But even then, I'd be tempted if I were all that interested in the content--but I mainly just like the Warren horror/fantasy/sci-fi comic magazines.  I don't even care about a #1.  They just don't interest me at all.

The ONLY thing that has me on the fence about the HELP! series is that someone told me there are some Wonder Warthog stories in them (early work by the Fabulous Furry Freak Bros/Fat Freddy's Cat main man), and the first appearance of Fritz the Cat (of which I am a mild Crumb fan, but probly know more about Fritz from the Bakshi movie).  Other than that, they look more like a poor man's MAD magazine than a Warren publication, so, meh.

Agree.👍

I thought I'd posted this in this thread, but it must have been somewhere else.  I had (and still have) a "complete" run of "Thor" - #126 - #255 by January of 1977 and also had JIM #112 - #125.  That's about when I stopped collecting the first time.  This is, of course, no longer a "complete run."  I didn't even realize at the time I had a complete run to that point, even though I was a completist.

Edited by MattTheDuck

On 4/28/2019 at 10:36 PM, grebal said:

I kind of hope I never complete my ASM run since I'm missing his first 2 appearances and the only way they will drop to a price I'm willing to pay will mean the market melted down and I wouldn't wish that (I have 2-500, and also FF 2-200, so same applies to FF 1).  I've got a few Golden Record Repr. placeholders, and plenty of 'keys' in form of Marvel Tales 1-32 and MCIC 1-24.

Also have some full runs like Hulk 1-6, Silver Surfer and Nick Fury 1-18s, Amazing Adventures 1-39 (I've since started work on Amazing Adv. vol 1, and still need AA 6, and 4 issues of Amazing Adult Fantasy), Captain Marvel 1-62, Fear 1- 31, Werewolf by Night 1-43, Howard the Duck 1-33, Warlock 1-15, Marvel Spotlight 1-33, stuff like Inhumans and Marvel Feature and Marv. Presents and Secret Wars 1-12, and partly completed runs like JiM/Thor 96-225 (just need a handful in 90s, and grail #83 remaining), Hulk 102-200, Avengers 1-200, X-Men/Uncanny 2-150 (excluding the reprints 67-93), Strange Tales 101-150, Tomb of Dracula 1-50, Master of Kung Fu 15-50, Marvel Premiere 1-25, Defenders 1-20, Dr. Strange 169-183 and 1-20.  And generally have the Annuals and Giant Size issues for applicable time periods and a few magazine runs like Epic, Rampaging Hulk and Howard the Duck complete.   Started buying golden age a couple of years ago, will probably never have a run of any of that stuff.

Wow!!! Love to sit in a room with your long boxes, hours of fun

yeah, the rabbit hole that is GA is scary, but sooo rewarding

On 5/26/2019 at 5:41 PM, Pat Thomas said:

ASM 1-present + annuals

Avengers 1-present + annuals

Captain America 100-present + annuals

Defenders 1-152

Doctor Strange 169-present

Incredible Hulk 102-present

Iron Man 1-present

Justice League Of America (1960) 1-261 + all series after

Marvel Team-Up

Marvel Two-In-One

Spectacular Spider-Man

Spider-Man (PPSM)

Uncanny X-Men 94-present

Web Of Spider-Man

Werewolf By Night

X-Men / New X-Men / X-Men / X-Men Legacy

X-Factor

X-Force

I didn't include a bunch of newer titles & shorter runs from Silver & Bronze ages. Probably have 50 or more of those.

Awesome !

Current runs:

AF15, ASM 1- ??? ( whatever it’s at today) plus annuals and all early cross-overs

FF 1-100

ROM full run plus annuals

Past runs, most of which are still relatively intact:

Superman 1-20

Action 1-100 ( Supes covers only)

Batman 1-20

Detective 27-37 ( Batman covers only)

On 5/25/2022 at 12:15 AM, fishbone said:

Current runs:

AF15, ASM 1- ??? ( whatever it’s at today) plus annuals and all early cross-overs

FF 1-100

ROM full run plus annuals

Past runs, most of which are still relatively intact:

Superman 1-20

Action 1-100 ( Supes covers only)

Batman 1-20

Detective 27-37 ( Batman covers only)

Yowzah!

Man of discriminating tastes, pretty serious stuff.  And eclectic, I've got (& read) at least the first 20 Rom (which leaves what, another 55 issues?) but I still can't guess why that's there.

Also, you dabble in any non superhero stuff?

On 5/25/2022 at 1:43 AM, grebal said:

Yowzah!

Man of discriminating tastes, pretty serious stuff.  And eclectic, I've got (& read) at least the first 20 Rom (which leaves what, another 55 issues?) but I still can't guess why that's there.

Also, you dabble in any non superhero stuff?

Rom one of my very first comic book loves when I was about 11 years old …. Spidey being the other around the same time ( 1979ish)

just got back into collecting about 20 years ago and completed what my early teen self could have never afforded 😂

I more than dabble in non superhero - non comic book - stuff

vintage hockey cards and hockey collectibles ( signed and game-used items)

music memorabilia, vintage concert posters, concert ticket stubs,  and vintage Vinyl LP’s

F1 racing memorabilia 

Edited by fishbone

My first collecting goal was Iron Man as that is what really got me hooked on Marvel comics. I had these all complete raw, though I recently sold them all in one giant go a few months ago to clear up space (though I made sure I kept about a dozen absolute favourite issues on hand). I built the Iron Man run as cheaply as I could, buying the lowest graded issues if given the choice, and the majority of the books purchased before ebay was really a thing (so from local shops and conventions only)

Iron Man (1968 1st Series) #1-332
Iron Man (1968 1st Series) Annual #1-15
Iron Man (1996 2nd Series) #1-13
Iron Man (1998 3rd Series) #1-89
Iron Man (2005 4th Series) #1-35

The only remaining runs I still own
Moon Knight (1985 2nd Series) Fist of Khonshu #1-6 (All 9.8 SS graded. The actual first series I loved when reading comics)
Prophet (2012 Image) #21-45 (Just damn good sci-fi reading and one of the last runs I bought physically as they were released each month - everything since has been digital unless buying TPBs or graded books)

Edited by Sauce Dog

Incredible Hulk\TTA\Incredible Hulk\Sub-Mariner

Avengers

TOS\Iron Man\Captain America

Defenders

Marvel Super Heros\Captain Marvel

Marvel Team-Up

Marvel Two In One

and many other shorter run titles to name a few.

As far as incomplete collections, I sure wish I had gotten into FF and Spiderman when I started collecting back in the early 70's. I have FF from #12 on and only about 100 or so Spiderman. I also have JIM\Thor from #100 on up.

Nearly all high grade.

Edited by niknikktm

I've been collecting mostly DC since I was a kid (I'm in my late 50's now).  I've been buying Batman, Detective, Superman, and Action Comics since the late 70's, and I still buy the latest issues every week.   I've been slowly back filling over the years and I recently achieved my goal; I now have every single consecutive issue of those titles dating back to the month and year I was born (early 60's).  I've managed to back fill a little farther and I now have over a 61 year run of those 4 titles. I have a few dozen older issues but they aren't consecutive (yet).  With duplicates and variants I have about a thousand issues of each title (not counting the other 10,000 comics in my collection).