• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Poor Man's Suspense 3

55 posts in this topic

Just got back from CGC my beater copy of Fighting Yank 23 and found it funny that comicconnect refers to this book as "Oftentimes referred to as The Poor Man's Suspense 3".  I'd like to think this book stands on it's own merit but I suppose Poor Man's Suspense 3 isn't a bad label.  Come to think of it, I guess Ginger #4 could be Poor Man's Archie #50 :roflmao:

Any thoughts on this book being a Poor Man's Suspense 3 or other books you want to add to the mix that are a "Poor Man's Anything"?

IMG_2293.JPG

43 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I've heard that this little number was the "poor man's Suspense #3". Not that ANYTHING can top that one!

comallnew8.jpg

This definitely shares the most similarities with Suspense 3. The Sword, the bondage, the hooded men, Nazis, bullets flying, The level change in the background, heck even the tree. What’s different is that this has a true masked hero (red white and Blue none the less) and the Suspense has the Moon and bats which are a huge appeal that adds extra drama to the scene. There are other obvious things they don’t share in common but more or less this book in my opinion is the closest that we have to a Suspense 3. The All New is a little more Action packed which has its positives and negatives. I am actually suprised this book isn’t, “worth” more to be honest seeing as it’s still a tough book. There are only 15 copies on the census for the All New 8 vs 33 copies for the Suspense 3. I know that isn’t the best representation but they are both pretty awesome. Also the All New came out only 1 month after Suspense 3 so it’s not like they were too far apart newsstand wise. For what you can get bang for your buck wise I will take the All New 8 ALL DAY over the Suspense 3 and we haven’t even talked interior of the book yet!! I’m a fan haha!!

29011827422_d6df41ee7c_b.jpgAll New Comic #8

2 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

This definitely shares the most similarities with Suspense 3. The Sword, the bondage, the hooded men, Nazis, bullets flying, The level change in the background, heck even the tree. What’s different is that this has a true masked hero (red white and Blue none the less) and the Suspense has the Moon and bats which are a huge appeal that adds extra drama to the scene. There are other obvious things they don’t share in common but more or less this book in my opinion is the closest that we have to a Suspense 3. The All New is a little more Action packed which has its positives and negatives. I am actually suprised this book isn’t, “worth” more to be honest seeing as it’s still a tough book. There are only 15 copies on the census for the All New 8 vs 33 copies for the Suspense 3. I know that isn’t the best representation but they are both pretty awesome. Also the All New came out only 1 month after Suspense 3 so it’s not like they were too far apart newsstand wise. For what you can get bang for your buck wise I will take the All New 8 ALL DAY over the Suspense 3 and we haven’t even talked interior of the book yet!! I’m a fan haha!!

29011827422_d6df41ee7c_b.jpgAll New Comic #8

Love the owner stamp Gino 

1 minute ago, comicjack said:

Love the owner stamp Gino 

Thanks brother I have racked up a couple of his cool books now. I am actually curious about his collection why wasn’t it considered a pedigree of sorts? I don’t own any ped books so I can’t speak to much to them other than Strawman has Tons of them haha!! Do they all have to be original owner I am assuming. At least they deserve to be from the collection of though don’t they or I am way off base? I didn’t know the guy or his collecting habits other than he wrote for a fanzine and had a plethora of cool books that he liked to repair in his spare time ?

2 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Thanks brother I have racked up a couple of his cool books now. I am actually curious about his collection why wasn’t it considered a pedigree of sorts? I don’t own any ped books so I can’t speak to much to them other than Strawman has Tons of them haha!! Do they all have to be original owner I am assuming. At least they deserve to be from the collection of though don’t they or I am way off base? I didn’t know the guy or his collecting habits other than he wrote for a fanzine and had a plethora of cool books that he liked to repair in his spare time ?

Some are overlooked like the Cookeville and Eldon books not recognized but cool to follow and own :smile:

Suspense comics #3 has a popular cover combined with scarcity that’s fairly high.

Any true challenger is going to need a popular cover that continues to grow in popularity over time along with Suspense #3 like scarcity otherwise it’s just another pretender to the throne in which there are many.

Classic cover + super scarcity = big $$$

Edited by N e r V

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Yep, only Ricksneatstuff could afford this now days...:baiting:

I believe Richard is looking for a Suspense #3 in the lower mid range grades at which point I can’t wait to see his sales threads to pay off that bill... lol

Should be EPIC...

(Edit: wow. Last sale at Heritage for a 0.5 a year ago was over 5k)

Edited by N e r V