• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is up with the Green Mask 9?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

This auction is on ebay and I just don't get it, but I do have an incomplete copy of the book but never really valued it much.  I don't think anyone would grade this over a 6.0 and it is quite likely restored and even with over 9 hours to go is auctioning at a value 3-4 times that of OPG.  I do understand that OPG is a guide and flawed, and I am not saying that the book isn't worth it, but I was just wondering why?  Is there something that I am missing about this.  Any new information would be great.  I have read it and it is pretty neat but also fairly common GA stuff.  Just curious and hoping those with more knowledge could help a fella out!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Green-Mask-9-Asian-Menace-Dragon-Tong-Warriors-cover-only-1-Graded-by-CGC-Rare/152890486314?hash=item2398fbae2a:g:EoAAAOSw~3pac4dC

This is a super hot cover. Goes for multiples all day long. Although, I wouldn't touch this one with a nine and a half foot pole. Probably all kinds of un-disclosed resto. I won't buy any of these books from this seller no matter how rare because of the sketchy description. Here's my beater...

comgreenmask9.jpg

I guess I just had not been paying enough attention to it. But I certainly agree the covers are what is selling them.  For goodness sake on the #8 you have, child bondage, female bondage, women in red dress, hypodermic needle...The only thing not there is Adolf Hitler.

Super Cool book Robot.

2 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Plus the eBay auction is for the Green Mask 9 cover ONLY; the coverless comic, if any, would be from another GA comic as part of the rebuild or recreation :wishluck:.

The way I was reading it I thought he left out a comma.  Dragon Tong warriors cover, only 1 graded by cgc

It is pictured with insides that are the right book.  It is super sketchy to me though as to the description and this seller has had a ton of books from this same collection and he always puts this disclaimer on there.  Does allow returns though so I guess if it was more resto than a customer was comfortable with they could return it.  

Yeah I've bought some of these books, he discloses what resto is there if he can tell.  And with the "may include" disclaimer and returns allowed, I think that is a fair policy.  They are all from the Raymond Miller collection, which he purchased the entire collection I believe (each book stamped on first page "From the collection of...").  Most of the resto looks like Miller did it himself and it is pretty amateurish so you can usually tell pretty easily.  Usually he adds in pieces that are missing and colors them in with colored pencil or something.  Or he adds a new binding to a split cover and tapes it to the book.  Unfortunately he was a big fan of tape.  

26 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

With books of this rarity and magnitude you would think they should be graded unless, you are trying to slip something by... An outstanding collection but I ain't paying the prices with out knowing...

Earl Shaw is an old timer, but does seem to have a tendency to avoid grading books where the outcome might not be what he wants. 

I would love a copy of that book but given it was Richard Miller's collection, it most likely has restoration or conservation and I would like to know for sure what has been done to it.  Earl has been more explicit in his listings about the condition and type/degree of restoration.  Green Mask had a lot of boner covers in the run but 6, 8, and 9 were  great, imo.  I have a #1 and #10.  #1 has Lou Fine cover.

Missed the 9 by that much

0805171357381.jpg.0bea409c2daad60ef194c8ab1a2181dc.jpg

but even low grade as it is, I still like my #1

2612122024451.thumb.jpg.c74a60819686122ed19324914cd7dfa1.jpg

24 minutes ago, telerites said:

I would love a copy of that book but given it was Richard Miller's collection, it most likely has restoration or conservation and I would like to know for sure what has been done to it.  Earl has been more explicit in his listings about the condition and type/degree of restoration.  Green Mask had a lot of boner covers in the run but 6, 8, and 9 were  great, imo.  I have a #1 and #10.  #1 has Lou Fine cover.

Missed the 9 by that much

0805171357381.jpg.0bea409c2daad60ef194c8ab1a2181dc.jpg

but even low grade as it is, I still like my #1

2612122024451.thumb.jpg.c74a60819686122ed19324914cd7dfa1.jpg

Super pretty 3.0!