• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

when buying GA comics or any in general do you...
2 2

24 posts in this topic

when buying GA comics or any in general that are low grade/rare/etc etc.. and have detached covers and so on, which of the following would you like/care most about ( other than its complete ) 

pros/cons on why or why not are welcome!

A ) cover detached.

B ) cover reattached with extra staples.

C ) cover detached but reattached with tape.

D ) cover detached but reattached with  archival tape.

im asking because id like to get a general feel is to how people view certain defects with books.

thanks!

2 minutes ago, Raze said:

:screwy: of course you needed to chime in :roflmao: i don't think yes was an answer lol

It was my answer?

sand-kid2.jpg

5 minutes ago, darkstar said:

I don't want anything extra added to a book that was not part of said book when it was printed and assembled. So I'll go A, final answer.

that sounds reasonable. i would agree but what if someone added any of the above and you were looking to buy and was in your price range?

Detached covers are funny for me... I'd rather have a detached cover than a cover detached at one staple, or loose at the staples, because I know I'll be the one to detach them by mistake.  Setting aside a cover or halves of the cover to read a book still sucks, though.

I've never seen a detached cover repaired with archival tape, but that seems preferable.  I'll go with option D.

I'll go with option E) A conserved book that has staple reinforcement, staple tears sealed, spine reinforced, etc.

For one, I would MUCH rather have a book I can pick up, open, and read like a book. Second, it's aiding the structural integrity of the book so it won't sustain further damage from [any] handling in the future. And lastly, any professional restorer/conserver can give a book with detached covers/spine split/weak spine ect proper treatment that can be reversed if it ever wanted to be. Although I for one think that it's unbelievable that someone would have a book taken apart for the monetary value vs. the integrity of the book's life span. 2c

The only defects I really can't forgive are brittleness and incompleteness. As long as it's all there and not literally falling apart in my hands (i.e. I can actually read it), if the price is right, I'm good. Of the specific scenarios given, the extra staples would bug me the most, I'd think. I'd rather it be completely detached than sloppily stuck back on. But again, it all depends on the book in question and the price. 

On 2/12/2018 at 8:53 AM, FineCollector said:

Detached covers are funny for me... I'd rather have a detached cover than a cover detached at one staple, or loose at the staples, because I know I'll be the one to detach them by mistake.  Setting aside a cover or halves of the cover to read a book still sucks, though.

I totally know what you mean! Something about a cover that seems ready to jump off the staples, but is a hair away from getting there. Makes you so nervous to handle it.

On 2/11/2018 at 11:23 PM, Raze said:

when buying GA comics or any in general that are low grade/rare/etc etc.. and have detached covers and so on, which of the following would you like/care most about ( other than its complete ) 

pros/cons on why or why not are welcome!

A ) cover detached.

B ) cover reattached with extra staples.

C ) cover detached but reattached with tape.

D ) cover detached but reattached with  archival tape.

im asking because id like to get a general feel is to how people view certain defects with books.

thanks!

Are we talking slabbed or raw?

Maybe it's from years and years of not having the option of being picky and just finding whatever was at the flea market or junk shop, but I don't care at all what shape an old comic is in as long as I can look at it without it crumbling to dust, but even then I will take it if I like the comic.