• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAP #1 CGC 3.5 minimum bid $101,575 on Ha auction

15 posts in this topic

Cap #1  has come a long way, but something caught my eye, in the upcoming Ha Signature auction this week, the Cap 1 3.5 CGC unrestored with writing on the cover has a reserve  of $85,000/$101,5785 plus shipping and insurance. For years on this forum, I have recommended this book as the best GA key buy out there. What lies in the future....well it is STILL underpriced..I am not going to say that the  CGC 3.5 is gonna be $203K in 5 years, but there is still room to grow. Which brings to the  issue of price point of levels in GA collecting...the old floor in the 1970's was 1k, in the 80's 10K, then 25K...I see  more resistance at over 100K for a average copy of a GA Key. and why set the reserve at 101.5K ?What are your thoughts of GA price points today?... where are the cutoff's in terms of number of buyers or market? is it the same number of buyers than 70's/80's  and 90's with just more money to spend or inflation of our currency .  Also, Ha's new sellers ploy to get new "whale " clients involved buy creating a special auction for items which exceed $10,000 and above...must they to sustain uptick in GA pricing by creating elite auction.  Any thoughts appreciated..thanks

Edited by Mmehdy

On 2/18/2018 at 11:31 AM, Mmehdy said:

it is STILL underpriced..I am not going to say that the  CGC 3.5 is gonna be $203K in 5 years, but there is still room to grow.

What are your thoughts of GA price points today?....

where are the cutoff's in terms of number of buyers or market? 

is it the same number of buyers than 70's/80's  and 90's with just more money to spend or inflation of our currency .   Any thoughts appreciated..thanks

We'll see how much the 3.5 goes for.  Plus the 4.0 green label.

I think one of the "cut offs" is 10k for comic books.  

I'd be willing to guess that Non Dealers in the market for a $50k book maybe do it once in their life, are making 100k+ per year, have an inheritance, or lifestyle that permits it.    

People making 500k a year could maybe be doing the 50k+ thing occasionally?

I think the pool of buyers for $100k+ books are 95% made up of 1%ers  ($450,000+ in adjusted gross income (AGI) or net assets $7 million+) and speculators who often carry business debt.

But basically I'm talking out my ... because I'm not even close to a 1%er in America.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/050615/are-you-top-one-percent-world.asp

3 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

We'll see how much the 3.5 goes for.  Plus the 4.0 green label.

I think one of the "cut offs" is 10k for comic books.  

I'd be willing to guess that Non Dealers in the market for a $50k book maybe do it once in their life, are making 100k+ per year, have an inheritance, or lifestyle that permits it.    

People making 500k a year could maybe be doing the 50k+ thing occasionally?

I think the pool of buyers for $100k+ books are 95% made up of 1%ers  ($450,000+ in adjusted gross income (AGI) or net assets $7 million+) and speculators who often carry business debt.

But basically I'm talking out my ... because I'm not even close to a 1%er in America.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/050615/are-you-top-one-percent-world.asp

the higher the prices go, the thinner the air......

11 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Not that I need to worry about it, but, if I had 100K to invest in comic books, I'd take ten nice 10K books instead of one 100K book. Lot bigger pool of buyers when it came time to sell. That being said, there are a LOT better things to put your money into than comic books...

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:
13 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Not that I need to worry about it, but, if I had 100K to invest in comic books, I'd take ten nice 10K books instead of one 100K book. Lot bigger pool of buyers when it came time to sell. That being said, there are a LOT better things to put your money into than comic books...

1940s Superman premiums? hm

8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Not even close. The pool of buyers for those, even though much rarer, than comics are much narrower. As evidenced by the reaction I get when I post this stuff. There are collectors here who appreciate the stuff but few would would pay the prices or seek them out. Most either don't appreciate the rarity or care very much. The prices on that stuff has been slowly dropping every year. 

6 minutes ago, Robot Man said:
18 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Not even close. The pool of buyers for those, even though much rarer, than comics are much narrower. As evidenced by the reaction I get when I post this stuff. There are collectors here who appreciate the stuff but few would would pay the prices or seek them out. Most either don't appreciate the rarity or care very much. The prices on that stuff has been slowly dropping every year. 

Pez dispensers? hm

12 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Roy Rogers lunch boxes? hm

Had a decent one at the flea market on Sunday even with the thermos and couldn't get $50. for it. Nobody cares about western comic books or memorabilia any more...

Hot stuff for me at the shows now are vintage advertising signs and tins, slot cars, hot wheels, Universal Monster stuff, hot rod stuff, vintage pre1970 Disneyland stuff, robots and vintage space stuff and surfing/skateboarding stuff all sell real well and fast. Maybe a west coast thing. Oh, and of course comics do real well. Easily 25% of my average sales at any given non-comic con shows. 

48 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Probably would have sold for more if eye appeal was higher like the Bat 1 3.5.

Definitely.  The pronounced rat chew through the entire book definitely skews the results, but Blue Cap 1's aren't seen on the open market much so it still made a nice little run.

Also, I saw the book hit the reserve several days ago.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules