• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics #27 CGC 9.2 (Extensive P) on ebay! Woo hoo Filter81!!!

66 posts in this topic

I am surprised the bidding is so high with five days to go. If I were serious about the book, I would wait until the last second to place my bid. The book is already out of my price range. frown.gif

One thing about books like this is that you're bidding against the reserve as much as your're bidding against other bidders.

Any idea what the reserve might be?

"As much as I hate to part with this book, it really is priced to sell, with a reserve set at WELL below even 25% of unrestored guide value! "

It's got to be close to the reserve right now.

I dunno...its got more than a little work, doncha think? I mean, the Batman #1 was much purer.

Regardless, it is hard as hell to get an Apparent 9.2 on an Extensively restored book. Most restoration pros won't promise anything more than F/VF 7.0. Anything above that is considered a bonus.

9.2? BIG friggin' bonus. Especially on a book like that. I'd like to shake the hand of the person who restored that book -- if indeed s/he has any hands left after performing that miracle.

The pendulum does seem to be swinging back.... but who else feels we may be in for a knee jerk overreaction again, only this time into OVERpaying for restored books? For the same 100K I think Im buying an unrestored copy of something, or two books, maybe instead of a book with this kind or work done to it. Chances are, this same copy would have been worth the same 100K today without the work was done if it cleaned up well enough for a 9.2 grade.

Long term, 20 30 years out, assuming comics retain or increase value as collectibles, I can see restored books like this closing the gap on the few super nice virgin copies as they will all be 100 year old paper antiques ..... but in the near term gotta buy wisely. Or perhaps in that time the number of silling and able buyers will dwindle to so few that the existing unrestored copies will be more than enough supply to go around.

The pendulum does seem to be swinging back.... but who else feels we may be in for a knee jerk overreaction again, only this time into OVERpaying for restored books?

I actually see this happening as well, considering the rarity of so many GA books, and the dearth of unrestored copies for certain keys.

its a great book... hard to find dectective 27 unrestored..in high grade.... unless u got the edgar church copy.... but even in restored condition.. its still rare to get it in this high grade...i doubt it will meet reserve though

the allentown is significantly higher grade even than the mile high copy,,the mile high with this particular book is not one of the super high grades the collection is usually known for..i understand that the allentown is 9.4 or better