• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Value Speculation - $3000 to Spend
2 2

148 posts in this topic

I know it is speculative but I’m looking to put about $3000 into some comics with an eye for mid term (2-5 years) growth.  Looking for some speculation ideas.  Do I invest it in something like a low 9.x ASM 129 or a 9.8 WD1?  Look at something like first appearance of Spider-Gwen?  Do I split it among several books  diversifying risk and having more opportunities to hit the jack pot?  What are some books that seem poised to make big gains?

any insight would be welcome

Just now, www.alexgross.com said:

almost nothing has done better than hulk 181 the last several years in all grades but the highest. in your price range it seems like a sure bet. i got my 9.0 three years ago and it's already just about doubled. 

Exactly what I was going to say.  Buy the best Hulk 181 $3k can buy (8.5 I think) and just stash it away.

36 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Working with a 2-5 year timeline, I'd echo the Hulk 181 sentiment.  I've bought three since October.  3 stacks should easily get you an 8.5, maaaayyybbeeee a 9.0 if you catch one on a buyer friendly day.

I’ll take a look. Wondering if I should wait for C2E2 or just pull the trigger if I find a good one

59 minutes ago, Drbearsec said:

I’ll take a look. Wondering if I should wait for C2E2 or just pull the trigger if I find a good one

They are not rare, so being discriminating is important. Find one with good color and centering....there are many copies that don't have that going for them. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 minute ago, jimjum12 said:

They are not rare, so being discriminating is important. Find one with good color and centering....there are many copies that don't have that going for them. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Good advice!  Thanks!

15 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Maybe instead of buying a comic book for investment you might try pharmaceutical companies,  or even Disney stocks.

If you want to enjoy a collection get a book that you like instead of an investment mindset. 

What if he enjoys collecting pharmaceutical stocks?  hm

2 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Maybe instead of buying a comic book for investment you might try pharmaceutical companies,  or even Disney stocks.

If you want to enjoy a collection get a book that you like instead of an investment mindset. 

Maybe I want to do both.  Maybe I have both and plan towards the end game too.  Maybe I look at the options and pick something that both I like and will increase in value

I mean this seriously and I'm not trying to be smarmy. Please invest the 3k in whatever book you decide. But please come back (or stay here) for the 2- 5 years you gave yourself before selling said book (if I understand your post correctly) and let us (me) know how it turns out profit-wise for you. I see many threads here (Hell, I think my first thread here was kinda an investment question thread) asking what's the best book to buy to make money after a sell off in a couple of years but never have I seen a thread that states profit made after an investment-centric comic book purchase. (maybe there has been a results kinda thread that I didn't see. I don't see a lot.)

Again I mean nothing but respect for you in this thread and am generally curious how things work out. 

Edited by NoMan

21 hours ago, comicquant said:

Exactly what I was going to say.  Buy the best Hulk 181 $3k can buy (8.5 I think) and just stash it away.

That would be a good pick.

Sometimes the easiest answers are the right ones.

Everyone wants to know that secret pick,but really the answer is Hulk #181.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

1 minute ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I seriously would expect you to get that at a cheaper price in 5 years. Seems a good many people are losing interest in it. 

Agreed. WD 1's best days are behind it. I expect it to continue a slow downhill slide from here.