• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Value Speculation - $3000 to Spend
2 2

148 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

True... but then why would I create competition for books that I may feel that are undervalued that I am currently chasing?  I second the 1st Wolverine and the X-Men as I already have a few copies between the two books and I am not currently seeking those out right now. However, there are others out there that you might want to do some research on.  Expect help and insight but do not expect everyone to flat out provide inside information to you.

I do not mean that in a condescending tone (unfortunately the written word comes across that way and for that I apologize in advance) but it is the truth.  Many of us are silently chasing books that are not on everyone's radar and are not going to openly create competition for that book until we have secured a copy. 

That’s fair but then I’d be foolish to expect everyone to say all that’s on their mind in radar.  I was expecting what I got.... some bigger name items and the valid justification for them.  Never planning to blindly follow but if one gets more pushed than others like IH 181, then it becomes worth it to look closer.

thanks for the input.  I appreciate it

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:

Hulk 180 seems to be enjoying a slow steady increase...... and it is, after all, the first appearance of Wolverine..... although no cover portrayal..... a 9.6 just went for 2K ..... You can have the book AND have it in grade..... with a grand left over. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

....another option.... if your heart is set on IH 181..... would be to pick up a small stack of lower grade copies that have decent eye appeal and then slab them yourself.

A pedigree 180 recently sold for ~6400! I wish my private purchase would get listed on GPA!!! So damn frustrating because it would affect the value. Not majorly but it would affect it. 

Anyways, I think you can never go wrong with the best IH 181 or ASM 129 you can find for 3k. Perhaps giant size x-men 1 or x-men 94. 

ASM 50, 9.0 or 9.2 if you're lucky (first kingpin) is one I love but maybe not for longer term speculation.

11 hours ago, Drbearsec said:
13 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Maybe instead of buying a comic book for investment you might try pharmaceutical companies,  or even Disney stocks.

If you want to enjoy a collection get a book that you like instead of an investment mindset. 

Maybe I want to do both.  Maybe I have both and plan towards the end game too.  Maybe I look at the options and pick something that both I like and will increase in value

Definitely nothing wrong with doing both, that's for sure.  (thumbsu

If so, I wouldn't go for Disney stock though since it has gone absolutely nowhere over the past 3 years.  :p

Some of the health care stocks like the cannabis ones might do okay longer term, especially since they have all gone through a 40% to 60% retracement from their recent highs a few weeks ago.  Of course, most of them are still a double or triple from where they were back in November, although there's always high volatility with stocks in a new and emerging industry as legalization takes hold globally going forward.  hm

Some great suggestions thrown out so far, but it all depends what era you are looking to put your $ in.  There's always going to be a number of books from the golden age, silver age, bronze,  copper, modern that are great investments and could erupt in value at a given day.  All boils down to supply and demand.   Just buy a book or books that you would enjoy having.  I think GPA Analysis would be a good starting point to study and analyze both past and current trends of books especially for silver age and newer.  When it comes to platinum or golden age books, sometimes it does not give the full picture.  

5 hours ago, NoMan said:
6 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I think prices really started to skyrocket with information.  When the quarterly/monthly price updates began coming out in the late 1980s.

interesting 

For example, in 1988/1989 Captain America was a $10-12 book in the annual OSPG, then the quarterly update came out identifying it as a $100-110 book.  Same with Iron Fist 14 and many other books.  I think the extreme rise in prices (and watching the spiral in value through monthly updates) created a speculative scramble which threw gasoline on the fire.

I remember identifying all these drastically underpriced silver age DC books in the late 80's - books I wanted to target - but by the time I figured those out, the books had rose in price exponentially.

4 hours ago, lizards2 said:

For example, in 1988/1989 Captain America was a $10-12 book in the annual OSPG, then the quarterly update came out identifying it as a $100-110 book.  Same with Iron Fist 14 and many other books.  I think the extreme rise in prices (and watching the spiral in value through monthly updates) created a speculative scramble which threw gasoline on the fire.

I remember identifying all these drastically underpriced silver age DC books in the late 80's - books I wanted to target - but by the time I figured those out, the books had rose in price exponentially.

I think you are right about the access to information driving prices. I was in my teens and reading Keith Contarino's reports like they were some secret scroll. I'd head to my local conventions and shops and come out with a stack of "under valued" books. It was a great time. He turned me on to some books I still love today (ToS #58 being the biggest).

2 hours ago, Shrevvy said:

I think you are right about the access to information driving prices. I was in my teens and reading Keith Contarino's reports like they were some secret scroll. I'd head to my local conventions and shops and come out with a stack of "under valued" books. It was a great time. He turned me on to some books I still love today (ToS #58 being the biggest).

I was doing the same thing...., 

12 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

A pedigree 180 recently sold for ~6400! I wish my private purchase would get listed on GPA!!! So damn frustrating because it would affect the value. Not majorly but it would affect it. 

Anyways, I think you can never go wrong with the best IH 181 or ASM 129 you can find for 3k. Perhaps giant size x-men 1 or x-men 94. 

ASM 50, 9.0 or 9.2 if you're lucky (first kingpin) is one I love but maybe not for longer term speculation.

Love that cover.  It’s on my top 20 list of books I can realistically buy (books such as Tec27,Bats 1, AF15 are on my top dream but need that winning lotto ticket list)

14 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

If you want I will send you a pick on a book that I picked up last year.  I picked up a 9.8 for $40 and 10 raw 9.6-9.8 copies for $2 each. 

hm

Drbearsec,

With all due respect, sir:

GET ON WITH SPENDING YOUR $3,000.00 ON A COMIC BOOK AND LETS GET TO THE RESULTS OF THIS THING!!! LET'S GET THE CLOCK RUNNING ON YOUR 2-5 YEARS BEFORE SELLING IT! DID YOU MAKE MONEY WITH YOUR INVESTMENT!?

Kind Regards,

Noman

I don't know how I feel about spending $3,000 for only a 2-5 year attachment. Was the plan to SELL for profit after that time? Or just to be able to say that you own a valuable comic after that time and know that you got a good deal?

I'd say pick what you love but if this Is catch and release then perhaps less attachment is better? (shrug)

I was thinking about this thread when I went to pick up my dog at her playdate with her doggy friend:

Investment-ly speaking, selling a comic for more than you bought it for kinda thing: I have bought and sold many, many comics.   I. Have. Never. Made. Money. Once.  but I've read a grip o' good stories with great art and met a few people that have changed my life for the better.

But that making money thing, not so much

Edited by NoMan

To make money in the short-term (which I'd consider 2-5 years) you'll need to buy books that will spike in price more than just the year over year increases. If you buy a book for $3000 and plan to sell it on eBay in 2 years you'll need to sell it for $3450 just to net your $3000 after selling fees. So unless your book explodes in price then really there is not much money to be made. Buy something that makes you happy but don't expect to make too much money on it...

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:16 PM, Drbearsec said:

I know it is speculative but I’m looking to put about $3000 into some comics with an eye for mid term (2-5 years) growth.  Looking for some speculation ideas.  Do I invest it in something like a low 9.x ASM 129 or a 9.8 WD1?  Look at something like first appearance of Spider-Gwen?  Do I split it among several books  diversifying risk and having more opportunities to hit the jack pot?  What are some books that seem poised to make big gains?

any insight would be welcome

•  

Buying blue chip key books is more investing then speculating.  What do you think people will be looking to buy in 3 - 5 years compared to today?  Buying 50 copies of nice looking ASM 194 at $75 a piece and sitting on them would be speculating that Black Cat could become a hit on an upcoming Spidey movie would be more in the speculating mind set.  Could Y: Last Man be a killer series that lasts for a few years?  Buy up 4 or 5 CGC 9.8 of #1 and sit back and see if you are right.