• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Value Speculation - $3000 to Spend
2 2

148 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Drbearsec said:

Maybe I want to do both.  Maybe I have both and plan towards the end game too.  Maybe I look at the options and pick something that both I like and will increase in value

Amazon stock looks like it is about to experience some interesting waters ahead.

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

I mean this seriously and I'm not trying to be smarmy. Please invest the 3k in whatever book you decide. But please come back (or stay here) for the 2- 5 years you gave yourself before selling said book (if I understand your post correctly) and let us (me) know how it turns out profit-wise for you. I see many threads here (Hell, I think my first thread here was kinda an investment question thread) asking what's the best book to buy to make money after a sell off in a couple of years but never have I seen a thread that states profit made after an investment-centric comic book purchase. (maybe there has been a results kinda thread that I didn't see. I don't see a lot.)

Again I mean nothing but respect for you in this thread and am generally curious how things work out. 

No worries...no offense was taken

24 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I seriously would expect you to get that at a cheaper price in 5 years. Seems a good many people are losing interest in it. 

Yeah I was wondering that myself.

saga 1 RRP is another that could explode if the movie or tv show ever happens.  But I think the IH 181 is a good idea.  And it IS a book I have always wanted to buy (so is Saga 1 RRP),  so achieving both investment and collection  with a purchase.  Win win :-). 

If if I went with Spider Gwen first appearance that would be pure buy for potential value and not for love of the character or series.

2 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I wish I liked the Hulk. I wished I liked Wolverine more. It would make the no-brainer of picking up Hulk 181 a no-brainer. 

I just don't care. 

Ditto on ASM 300

Wolvie and Batman were some of my favorite characters growing up.  

I’m the end I don’t usually invest this much at once into my collection.  I have many books I like and want...I ask this thread because I can only pick 1 and want to choose one that I really want but will also potentially increase in value both for my gain and because I don’t want to end up in the situation I’m in with TMNT 1, where it just keeps going up and up

hey this seems like the thread to ask this question of the Old(er)-Timers I've been thinking about:

What moved comic values upwards before movie hype existed?

and

What is the first example (and how long ago) of movie hype moving a book upwards in value that you remember? I remember wanting to buy Conan #1 in 1980 thinking it would increase in value because of the Arnold S. movie that was coming out. So I go back to 1980.

8 minutes ago, Drbearsec said:

Wolvie and Batman were some of my favorite characters growing up.  

i have the income now. I should just buy a slabbed HG Hulk 181 and tuck it away and be done with the thought. 

Going to conventions year after year and seeing those books (Hulk 181, ASM 300, TMNT 1) on the wall go up and up each and every year has a psychological impact on a person. At least it does to me. 

Edited by NoMan

4 minutes ago, NoMan said:

hey this seems like the thread to ask this question of the Old(er)-Timers I've been thinking about:

and

What is the first example (and how long ago) of movie hype moving a book upwards in value that you remember? I remember wanting to buy Conan #1 in 1980 thinking it would increase in value because of the Arnold S. movie that was coming out. So I go back to 1980.

Great question 

As previously mentioned, I think X-Men 1 is still a severely underrated book in that you have 1st Magneto, Jean Grey / Marvel Girl, Professor X, Cyclops, Beast, Angel, and, Iceman...

Hulk 181 is never a bad pick.  Say, "Thank you to Hugh Jackman."

There are others out there... but you need to figure some things out there for yourself. 

4 hours ago, Drbearsec said:
5 hours ago, NoMan said:

Great question 

I think prices really started to skyrocket with information.  When the quarterly/monthly price updates began coming out in the late 1980s.

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

As previously mentioned, I think X-Men 1 is still a severely underrated book in that you have 1st Magneto, Jean Grey / Marvel Girl, Professor X, Cyclops, Beast, Angel, and, Iceman...

Hulk 181 is never a bad pick.  Say, "Thank you to Hugh Jackman."

There are others out there... but you need to figure some things out there for yourself. 

I need to make a final decision but part of the reason for forums like this is to have these discussion.

Hulk 180 seems to be enjoying a slow steady increase...... and it is, after all, the first appearance of Wolverine..... although no cover portrayal..... a 9.6 just went for 2K ..... You can have the book AND have it in grade..... with a grand left over. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

....another option.... if your heart is set on IH 181..... would be to pick up a small stack of lower grade copies that have decent eye appeal and then slab them yourself.

Edited by jimjum12

38 minutes ago, Drbearsec said:

I need to make a final decision but part of the reason for forums like this is to have these discussion.

True... but then why would I create competition for books that I may feel that are undervalued that I am currently chasing?  I second the 1st Wolverine and the X-Men as I already have a few copies between the two books and I am not currently seeking those out right now. However, there are others out there that you might want to do some research on.  Expect help and insight but do not expect everyone to flat out provide inside information to you.

I do not mean that in a condescending tone (unfortunately the written word comes across that way and for that I apologize in advance) but it is the truth.  Many of us are silently chasing books that are not on everyone's radar and are not going to openly create competition for that book until we have secured a copy. 

Edited by Buzzetta

17 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

True... but then why would I create competition for books that I may feel that are undervalued that I am currently chasing?  I second the 1st Wolverine and the X-Men as I already have a few copies between the two books and I am not currently seeking those out right now. However, there are others out there that you might want to do some research on.  Expect help and insight but do not expect everyone to flat out provide inside information to you.

I do not mean that in a condescending tone (unfortunately the written word comes across that way and for that I apologize in advance) but it is the truth.  Many of us are silently chasing books that are not on everyone's radar and are not going to openly create competition for that book until we have secured a copy. 

Buzzkill.