• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Craigslist Rant
2 2

55 posts in this topic

Probably someone else saw the photo and figured the same way you did and pushed the person. On the other hand, the book could have been missing the rest of the cover. I always wonder when I see books smushed every which way like that.

Sorry about the tire.

59 minutes ago, october said:

Well....

Yeah, that's the corner of 181 in there. :(

Yeah but probably missing the MVS. (:

Hey, gotta look for a bright side.... either that or cannibal trap.

Really sucks though - but as many have said, no deposit means first on site with cash gets the sale. Seller was a bit of a doosch though. Shoulda got the address on first call.

If this was in Florida, then I'm the one that bought this lot.  The guy said he had 3 people coming to look at them on Wednesday, so I told him I could do $125 cash if I could swing by Tuesday evening.  Didn't even notice the Hulk #181 until I got there.  I already have a couple of copies, but it was a nice bonus.  If it's any consolation, it was bagged and boarded but isn't a super high grade copy (only about a VF+....maybe a VF/NM on a good day).

I've had similar experiences on cl mostly though it comes time to meet & they go dark. I tried setting up a meet for a whole run of batman from 227 & up & when we finally made a day we both had free I never heard from him again. Of all the cl posts I respond to i never actually met anyone it sucks nads.

6 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

If this was in Florida, then I'm the one that bought this lot.  The guy said he had 3 people coming to look at them on Wednesday, so I told him I could do $125 cash if I could swing by Tuesday evening.  Didn't even notice the Hulk #181 until I got there.  I already have a couple of copies, but it was a nice bonus.  If it's any consolation, it was bagged and boarded but isn't a super high grade copy (only about a VF+....maybe a VF/NM on a good day).

That is quite consoling I'm sure.

btw... and that's how to Craigslist.

@Mercury ManSorry for your loss on the 181. :frown: Hopefully you get some good karma with missing out plus the flat tire. I know I have certainly stumbled over nice finds here and there in the 4 years since I got back into comics.

As for Craigs List, I've never had good luck usually its "buy your comics" and over priced drek ads. I did mange to once buy some comics off a CL ad. The dude was a bit shady and his wife/girlfriend was beating one of their kids in the other room. I payed for the comics and got the hell out. Does anybody conceal and carry (or other protection) when doing a CL transaction especially for potentially large transactions? I've heard a lot of horror stories over the years.

Edited by FutureFlash

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

I looked up our Craigslist under comics this morning. There were about 30 ads. 2 were for comics that people were selling. ALL the others were  "I BUY COMICS" ads.

There are now 400 dealers in every single city.  I PAY CASH!!!!!

What they don't tell you is most of them couldn't come up with 5 grand if their lives depended on it.  So if you actually have real books to sell, they're completely unprepared.

1 hour ago, Domo Arigato said:

Well congrats to you, but nothing on his correspondence indicated he would be around until Wednesday.  I'll give you $126for the Hulk 

11 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Well congrats to you, but nothing on his correspondence indicated he would be around until Wednesday.  I'll give you $126for the Hulk 

You do what you gotta do to get the deal done on the streets, son! 

This *spoon* is chess, it ain't checkers!  You play by the rules out here and you're going to have nothing but boxes of Ninjak comics in your collection!!!

And yes, I'm screwing with you.  I don't live anywhere near Florida.

Yeah that's definitely Hulk 181. I feel your pain bro. 

Sometimes you can scare/annoy sellers away by being too needy about it. If you would have pushed him to meet Tuesday after he said he could meet up Wednesday you might have pissed him off, or your eagerness might cause him to look into the comics values a bit more. I think you did the best you could considering his replies, it sucks that somebody beat you to the punch!

and that might have been what happened-- he got so much interest that they tried figuring out why (or someone might have asked if they had Hulk 181-- tipping them off). There might have been no one buying it at all after they figured out what they were offering to sell.

25 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

and that might have been what happened-- he got so much interest that they tried figuring out why (or someone might have asked if they had Hulk 181-- tipping them off). There might have been no one buying it at all after they figured out what they were offering to sell.

Yeah, that’s kinda what popped up in my head - there was no “buyer”, the seller just just changed his mind, possibly because he got tipped off.