• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help to identify surfer page

13 posts in this topic

thanks,

so far, i have estimations of 1500/2000$, 4500$, and 7000/10000$, so  i still don't know....i checked on heritage and comiclink ebay and so on, and didn't find any page anywhere for sale.....maybe at coolines, but well it won't help me to get a real estimation :smile:

My brother owns this page above. I helped him get it about ten years ago for $450. I sold another page privately around the same time for $2500 with the Surfer flying on his board. This one shot artistically with a great story line is one of the best comics to come out in the early 1980's. These are hard to come by because collectors like me read the comic in 1982 and want just one page to keep for nostalgia. In the early 2000's I saw at least 10 pages sell on ebay all in $400-$700 range. Today Byrne FF pages are blistering hot. However this is not Fantastic Four and some people take note of that when considering the SS 1 shot. The good news is this. If you own this page?? It's a great one and you should try to keep it. If you are trying to buy it...I think these pages from SS 1 shot have superior art work by Byrne/Austin and have unlimited investment potential for the future. Fans remember this really is one of the great Surfer Comics. The one you posted did sell on ebay once I'm sure of it but I can't find that auction history. It's a cool page:-)

6 hours ago, grapeape said:

My brother owns this page above. I helped him get it about ten years ago for $450. I sold another page privately around the same time for $2500 with the Surfer flying on his board. This one shot artistically with a great story line is one of the best comics to come out in the early 1980's. These are hard to come by because collectors like me read the comic in 1982 and want just one page to keep for nostalgia. In the early 2000's I saw at least 10 pages sell on ebay all in $400-$700 range. Today Byrne FF pages are blistering hot. However this is not Fantastic Four and some people take note of that when considering the SS 1 shot. The good news is this. If you own this page?? It's a great one and you should try to keep it. If you are trying to buy it...I think these pages from SS 1 shot have superior art work by Byrne/Austin and have unlimited investment potential for the future. Fans remember this really is one of the great Surfer Comics. The one you posted did sell on ebay once I'm sure of it but I can't find that auction history. It's a cool page:-)

The SS one shot is Byrne and Tom Palmer, not Byrne and Austin.  A significant distinction, because even as a Palmer fan, he did a disservice to Byrne's pencils in my opinion.  I love Byrne, and I love the Silver Surfer, but the inks would have me walking away from pages from this one shot.  YMMV. 

Edited by stinkininkin

21 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

The SS one shot is Byrne and Tom Palmer, not Byrne and Austin.  A significant distinction, because even as a Palmer fan, he did a disservice to Byrne's pencils in my opinion.  I love Byrne, and I love the Silver Surfer, but the inks would have me walking away from pages from this one shot.  YMMV. 

I was wondering what I don't like about the art to this book. It just doesn't do it for me. I guess that explains it!

5 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

You are right. I knew that too. the great Tom Palmer of course.

On 3/3/2018 at 12:42 PM, stinkininkin said:

Sorry!! You are right. I knew that too. The great Tom Palmer of course.  Austin over Byrne far superior of course. But I do love Tom Palmer also.