• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gender/Race-Exclusive ECCC-sponsored mixers?
3 3

103 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, shadroch said:

Shows almost always have rooms that aren't being used at various hours.  If a subject generates proper interest, and submits the proper paperwork, it's a go.

Comic conventions don't. Pop culture shows do.

Those who don't get it and are trying to cry about discrimination or reverse racism/sexism, whatever; check your privilege.  Waahhh, a group I don't belong to and who has to be a minority everyday, wants a separate event.  Waaahhh. 

Big deal.  You're not being discriminated against and this isn't destroying the world.  Think of it as being similar to the way Ta-Nehisi Coates explained why white people can't use the n-word.  Your brief period of not being able to do something might help you understand others who experience that feeling on a daily basis.

6 hours ago, revat said:

I would yes, to a certain degree.  Is it cool to share a common experience with all kinds of people who also love that thing?  yes.  But is it also SOMETIMES cool to share that experience with someone with whom you have other shared commonalities?  I would also say ... YES.

Now if you're a straight white male, you USUALLY don't have to look far to find someone else with a few shared interests, not necessarily because of prejudice or discrimination or whatever, but simply based on population demographics.  But imagine you're young and gay, and there's some cool gay-themes in comics or gay comic books you want to discuss or specific issues you want to discuss based on your background.  It might be nice for someone to has someone specific to talk to or a specific resource to tap, and for someone to point it out.  Now no one is stopping a straight white dude from going to the discussion of the influence of the Koran on Ms Marvel, but sometimes its nice to have someone arrange a discussion/mixer about a specific minority theme.  Because there aren't always that many people, it can nice to help people find each other.  I don't really see what the harm is.  If your concern is equality, no one is being excluded.  If you have real concerns about how Latinas are portrayed in media and want to have an honest and thoughtful discussion, I'm sure you can be heard.  If your big concern is 'what about if I wanted to have a party with all straight male dudes', I would say to you, "You're gay, not that there's anything wrong with that."

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just think the whole point is that hopefully everybody gets along with everybody at a comic show because we're all there as part of the collective geek id. I see no harm in the meetups. Have a good time.

Edited by FlyingDonut

2 hours ago, Transplant said:

Those who don't get it and are trying to cry about discrimination or reverse racism/sexism, whatever; check your privilege.  Waahhh, a group I don't belong to and who has to be a minority everyday, wants a separate event.  Waaahhh. 

Big deal.  You're not being discriminated against and this isn't destroying the world.  Think of it as being similar to the way Ta-Nehisi Coates explained why white people can't use the n-word.  Your brief period of not being able to do something might help you understand others who experience that feeling on a daily basis.

I do hope you're not lumping me in with this. I hope everybody comes to a comic show and has a good time.

On 3/5/2018 at 4:53 PM, F For Fake said:

For most of my life, every comic show I went to was something very close to being an all white, straight, male mixer, 24/7. Nothing intrinsically wrong with being any of those things (I am actually all of those things!) but it's not like if I wanted to gather with "my group", I'd have a hard time doing it, or would need a protected space to do so. I'd think that those "exclusive" mixers are something more like setting up a safe space for those groups to do their thing. I see no problem with it. If you're wanting a straight white male mixer in the comics world, we're all practically living in one, unless you count "bald w/ beard" and "Hawaiian shirts" and "fedoras" sub-species deserving of their own mixers as well.

@catrick339 (who you just described to a "t";)  invited me to the first after con party I ever went to at a con. He would always rent a bigger hotel room, bring food and to be best of my knowledge (because no one really looked that hard) invited whomever was around. I'm not a male, so he was ahead of his time;) 

Probably the friendliest most inclusive person on the planet...so pick on another sub-species, lol.

9 hours ago, Transplant said:

I’ve never been clear on why it is called “privilege” when someone is NOT discriminated against (or discriminated against less than someone else). Seems odd that the way things *should be* is focused upon as the “privilege” rather than focusing on the actual evil of the discrimination itself. Maybe it’s just me. 

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

@catrick339 (who you just described to a "t";)  invited me to the first after con party I ever went to at a con. He would always rent a bigger hotel room, bring food and to be best of my knowledge (because no one really looked that hard) invited whomever was around. I'm not a male, so he was ahead of his time;) 

Probably the friendliest most inclusive person on the planet...so pick on another sub-species, lol.

Oh, I'm including myself in there. I'm a beardie baldo, and have been known to flaunt a Hawaiian shirt in my time. I'm just saying that within comic convention circles, our numbers are legion.

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

lol    I'm  a subspecies all  right,   a  subspecies  consisting of  one  member,    me.    I've always been happy  to  invite  anybody  who  acts in  a  civilized  fashion, and if they bring  beer,  it's a bonus! :D

On the other hand,   I've strolled  in  to  many  a  room party  uninvited,  and  generally have had  a  good time.  Walk in,  folks.  Meet some  new  people.  Bring beer.  

It's  that  simple. 

Edited by catrick339
fix the typo

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Oh, I'm including myself in there. I'm a beardie baldo, and have been known to flaunt a Hawaiian shirt in my time. I'm just saying that within comic convention circles, our numbers are legion.

Ah...I have always described Rick as my comic book guru;) he and another hairfollic challenged friend introduced me to GA comics, quite a while ago;) 

I haven't noticed too many clones, but then again, I listen more than I look;)