• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JIM 83 - results are in
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Cool Book to own!  Wish I had one in any grade.

Here's what I see:

Front Cover

Lots of color breaks & tears on bottom edge.  Long fold that breaks color along the spine.  Upper staple looks to be hanging on by a thread.  Multiple tears along the spine.  multiple Moisture stains 1 big stain upper spine that appears to go through to the back cover.  

Back Cover

Moisture stain bottom left corner and upper right corner, extensive amount.  Multiple tears along top edge but the big downgrade will be that center tear that looks large.

With that all said and not knowing the interior I'd put this book at about a 1.5/1.8

I'm not good at grading the very low grades but with all the moisture stains, I could not go any higher than 2.0. I am curious why you would have this book cleaned and pressed ? First, it will not help nor improve the grade on this book. Second, the book looks very fragile, I would be afraid a press would make it worse. If the press causes a detached cover you are now in a lower grade. 

6 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm not good at grading the very low grades but with all the moisture stains, I could not go any higher than 2.0. I am curious why you would have this book cleaned and pressed ? First, it will not help nor improve the grade on this book. Second, the book looks very fragile, I would be afraid a press would make it worse. If the press causes a detached cover you are now in a lower grade. 

Hi- Great points. I send most of my books that I have graded to a reputable presser. I also ask a lot of questions and have an understanding with said presser that if a press is not in the cards, do not risk it. The staples are surprisingly attached well. I really hate the crunch in middle of back cover and think a press will help the eye appeal. It also looks a bit dirty and the spine roll can be corrected with a press. I think the risk/reward in this case is worth it.  My guess is 2.0 also. Thanks