• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ALL New - What Would YOU Buy game.

11 posts in this topic

This post was inspired by the recent 8500 tale of 2 pages post. 

The concept is: imagine you had a ficticious amount of funds to spend on art right now.  What would you buy?

To make this more interesting  - there are 3 levels of available funds 

1. Under $1,000

2. $1,001-$5,000

3. $5,001-10,000

You can play in one,two or all 3 fund levels.

How to play - simply find a piece(s) of art that you would buy within one or more of these categories.  

Ideally the item you pick should be a buy it now item. However to keep this fun - you can also pick auction items you believe will end up in the price range you chose. Be prepared to defend that - if others disagree.

To play - state the price range (1,2 or 3) and provide a link to the item thats for sale online.  If you can upload a pick too - that would also be nice of you.

Hopefully as different folks post items they find for different price points we an see what  $ can get you on the market today.

I'm not sure how this will go over.

For me, no way am I sharing what I have my eye on but haven't bought "yet" (for whatever reason). That's just an invitation to "inspire" somebody that take it away from you! Anybody else feel similar?

Love the concept! I do, however, think your results might be a bit limited as I also won’t be divulging the pieces out there that I am seriously considering for purchase (and I imagine many would feel the same). I will put some thought to this.

34 minutes ago, vodou said:

For me, no way am I sharing what I have my eye on but haven't bought "yet" (for whatever reason). That's just an invitation to "inspire" somebody that take it away from you! Anybody else feel similar?

Actually, other than the item in the upper tier, if it was something I wanted , I would have bought it already.  

If I didn't buy it, I didn't want it!

Now if it was re-framed as a wish list in those items (e.g. I would buy if it turns up).  Maybe I can come up wth something.  Even then it won't be the full list.  Often I only know I want it when I see it, I don't make a want list.

Malvin

43 minutes ago, vodou said:

I know what you mean.  On the other hand if you really are able to buy the art - you should just buy it. I mean - how many watchers are there that never pull the trigger.  You bringing attention to a piece of art that you like but won't buy for either financial reasons or because you are holding out for something specific - can be a fun way to share in the hobby.

I posted stuff I like and would buy if I had excess funds - but since I havent bought them - I know that I dont want them that badly except in this 'fantasy collecting' way.

1 hour ago, malvin said:

If I didn't buy it, I didn't want it!

Malvin, you're appetite isn't bigger than your wallet? Mine sure is. What you'd like for lunch today isn't influenced by what you had for dinner last night and whether you skipped breakfast or not today? Mine is.

I'm a speculative opportunist all the way up and down the price spectrum too. Depending on how the wind is blowing today, for $10k, I might want a single great piece for 2/3 fmv. Or I may prefer x5 $2k pieces in a lot deal at 1/2 fmv (ideally stuff that's been sitting for a long time, that I've been watching "age" for a long time and can swoop in and graciously offer the owner some liquidity on). Or...all depends on the market atm and when/where that $10k came to me from. Was recent or have I been sitting on it a bit (making nothing in the bank), is it from selling something else for a windfall (95% profit, so I'm deep itm and looking to play risk again) or just some strategic re-positioning (25% profit, and I'll be more careful as there's more "of me" in that $10k), that's going to determine direction too. Likewise, am I "heavy" atm on big pieces, or "light", likewise smaller pieces, certain artists, titles, eras, demographic patterns. So diversification comes into play too. No way, no how could I ever subscribe to your statement above!

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

...if you really are able to buy the art - you should just buy it.

Per my reply to Malvin previous, just cuz the money is burning a hole in your pocket doesn't mean "today" is the day to buy. And buy which anyway? I could -with great ease- list 75-100* pieces in each of your tiers that I could, would take down if the cash hit my bank today (or if it's already there, decided "today" was the day to spend blow it). Ah...but not all of them at the same time, so which one? That changes daily (per my Malvin reply) based on a few factors I control and many I don't. And so...no way am I showing my cards after the second deal of a championship round :)

*No bs. There's a lot of intersection between my wide and varied interests and my ability to buy at any given moment in "the market", but some are better than others and "better" isn't always about which I personally prefer for nostalgic or aesthetic reasons.

2 hours ago, vodou said:

Malvin, you're appetite isn't bigger than your wallet? Mine sure is. What you'd like for lunch today isn't influenced by what you had for dinner last night and whether you skipped breakfast or not today? Mine is.

I'm a speculative opportunist all the way up and down the price spectrum too. Depending on how the wind is blowing today, for $10k, I might want a single great piece for 2/3 fmv. Or I may prefer x5 $2k pieces in a lot deal at 1/2 fmv (ideally stuff that's been sitting for a long time, that I've been watching "age" for a long time and can swoop in and graciously offer the owner some liquidity on). Or...all depends on the market atm and when/where that $10k came to me from. Was recent or have I been sitting on it a bit (making nothing in the bank), is it from selling something else for a windfall (95% profit, so I'm deep itm and looking to play risk again) or just some strategic re-positioning (25% profit, and I'll be more careful as there's more "of me" in that $10k), that's going to determine direction too. Likewise, am I "heavy" atm on big pieces, or "light", likewise smaller pieces, certain artists, titles, eras, demographic patterns. So diversification comes into play too. No way, no how could I ever subscribe to your statement above!

Hi Vodou,

I guess there is a nuance.  Typically, unless the item is only a couple of hundred, I would only buy 1K+ - 10K items if I felt it was undervalued (what I feel and reality is different).  And with today's pricing trends, if I felt it was undervalued, I would pounce (as would many others)

If it was at fair value and it sits, there I can't psychologically spend 1K+ on it.  Plus, if it starts to sit there long, I start to think that it's overpriced.

Malvin

So all the items I posted are BIN.  2 have been for sale for a while. One was new. While I like all 3 - I am not worried that others can't find them. We are talking publicly posted items here.  If you post about a live auction - that could be different because the price is not preset.

In general - Not talking private deals here- so whatever you post - is already accessible via CAT etc..  

If you are fearful - skip this thread. The idea here is to see what folks find cool and have fun in the process.

Anyway - if anyone feels like playing along - I think it can be both fun and insightful into tastes of boardies.

Edited by Panelfan1