• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JLA #1 cgc 9.6 in May 18 heritage auction!!!
2 2

55 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Buy the label, not the book!

That's what the vast majority of collectors and dealers seem to do. (shrug)

In fact, I'm not sure I've ever had a dealer ask me for a scan when doing a private deal, and very few collectors.  They just want to know the CGC grade and PQ.  That's it.

9 hours ago, tth2 said:

In fact, I'm not sure I've ever had a dealer ask me for a scan when doing a private deal, and very few collectors.  They just want to know the CGC grade and PQ.  That's it.

Yep. Don't disagree with you.

Will add that the advanced collector (don't know you but based upon your comic book knowledge I'm certain this group includes you) buys the book and not the grade. I think it's safe to say the majority of (relatively new to the hobby) buyers out there during this period of speculation are either "investors" or not advanced collectors. I'm quite sure the investors are focused on the SA keys- in fact I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few guys out there buying up as many copies of a key before unloading and then moving on to the next key to buy up the supply. These investors who are manipulating the market for their own gain are looking at the label. The inexperienced collectors who are relying on the label may be in for a surprise once the market speculation dies down. 

Regardless of the issue of the 9.6 grading, $215K for this book is huge!  I'm really taken aback at that price, quite honestly. I would have to attribute that to it being tied for highest graded as opposed to any surge in popularity on the JLA series as a whole...as I've seen tens of instances where prices have gone down on non-highest graded (but still HQ) non-key JLA's over the past few years.  I don't recall if I've seen even a JLA#1 come to auction in the past 7-8 years, so scarcity is a big factor as well.

15 hours ago, tth2 said:
On 5/12/2018 at 12:48 PM, bronze johnny said:

Buy the label, not the book!

You are known for your exquisite taste.  Not sure there's any need to ask you for a scan.

12 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

don't know you but based upon your comic book knowledge I'm certain this group includes you

tth2 is one of the old school big boys.

He's owned some monster books including the BB 28 CGC 9.4 (that is now a 9.6) and others.

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

tth2 is one of the old school big boys.

He's owned some monster books including the BB 28 CGC 9.4 (that is now a 9.6) and others.

Thx- I know.

Edited by bronze johnny

Just now, bronze johnny said:

I know.

:foryou:

Tim's also an elitist so he likes to have his ego stroked. :baiting:

17 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

:foryou:

Tim's also an elitist so he likes to have his ego stroked. :baiting:

Really? Never my impression of him.

Edited by bronze johnny

29 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

Really? Never my impression of him.

I bug him about it all the time. :wink:

10 hours ago, JLA Brad said:

Regardless of the issue of the 9.6 grading, $215K for this book is huge!  I'm really taken aback at that price, quite honestly. I would have to attribute that to it being tied for highest graded as opposed to any surge in popularity on the JLA series as a whole...as I've seen tens of instances where prices have gone down on non-highest graded (but still HQ) non-key JLA's over the past few years.  I don't recall if I've seen even a JLA#1 come to auction in the past 7-8 years, so scarcity is a big factor as well.

I'm completely floored.  I thought it had a chance at $100k, but to break the $200k mark is nuts.

30 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

215 is shocking.  And it means that two people thought it sane to bid that high! It’s not the sole highest copy of the JLAs 4th appearance! 

But it's a #1!