• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What really is restoration???
2 2

80 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

(thumbsu With a proper buffer, I will stack a couple 25 lb weights on the book. Most often, it works really well. Brings a smile every time !

I started doing this in the late eighties when some of my books got jostled up on the bike ride home from 7-11 :cloud9:

9 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

(thumbsu With a proper buffer, I will stack a couple 25 lb weights on the book. Most often, it works really well. Brings a smile every time !

I've actually left a few books under each full comic box for a while. That worked ok

2 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I started doing this in the late eighties when some of my books got jostled up on the bike ride home from 7-11 :cloud9:

That's like an advert or something. Kid Jim cycling home on his bike to read his jostled up books :grin:

Why do people spend so much money on the vintage cars?  They spend about $35K to $100K on the fully restored cars so they can furlfill their emotions to attach those beauties. I don't mind driving 1964 1/2 or 1965 2x2 halfback Mustang - restoration or not.  It's same concept of having the book being pressed to get it looking appealed like the car being re-lived again.

2 hours ago, Mr. Zipper said:

lol  In my opinion, pressing is restoration.

But I am a realist and understand 95% of the hobby doesn’t give a damn about my opinion. No sense in arguing “settled law.” 

I agree. Sadly we cant do anything about it.....:sorry:

20 hours ago, Mr. Zipper said:

lol  In my opinion, pressing is restoration.

But I am a realist and understand 95% of the hobby doesn’t give a damn about my opinion. No sense in arguing “settled law.” 

99.8% in my case :p

17 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I agree. Sadly we cant do anything about it.....:sorry:

I suppose we could stick our heads out of the window and shout "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!" :mad:

Or, we could carry on going quietly about our lives...

On 24/03/2018 at 9:59 PM, JollyComics said:

Why do people spend so much money on the vintage cars?  They spend about $35K to $100K on the fully restored cars so they can furlfill their emotions to attach those beauties. I don't mind driving 1964 1/2 or 1965 2x2 halfback Mustang - restoration or not.  It's same concept of having the book being pressed to get it looking appealed like the car being re-lived again.

Who knows JC, who knows. Now, go to bed, you've had enough :bigsmile:

On 3/24/2018 at 4:41 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I find it odd you find this method acceptable. 

2 hours ago, joeypost said:

I find it odd you find this method acceptable. 

Why Joey ? I know I always advocate letting a professional do your pressing but these are inexpensive but cool books for the collection. I recently got some books that were bagged but not boarded so the books were not flat. The weights work perfectly for this. I think every long term collector has tried this in some fashion. I've screwed up and caused a spine roll before, a learning experience to properly distribute the weight. When I start putting the books into a microwave (I know individuals that have done so) that's when you should call me out ! HaHA.

On 3/20/2018 at 11:24 AM, jcjames said:

This is history that I don't know about, but am trying to learn about.

The pressing services done through/for CGC that they advertise to "enhance" the appearance of the very books that they grade (and then charge grade-based value-fees for high-$$ books) calls into question the impartiality of their third-party grading status.

This is what I'm trying to learn more about also - is CGC saying pressing is NOT restoration merely because CGC says they can't reliably detect it (yet they know it happened because they made money off it)??? That doesn't really make sense (but I guess it makes them dollars).

Super brief summary/commentary (I'll probably miss a few points, and may have the timeline confused as well):

In the early days of the boards, pressing was a very hot topic.  Was it or wasn't it resto?   Lots of people thought it was, many didn't.   Various definitions of resto were bandied about.  CGC settled on the definition that if nothing was added/taken away from the book, it wasn't resto.  Additionally, press alone was hard to detect (when done properly).  

Pretty convenient definition that allowed for the CPR game to operate.   Pressing became a little more commonplace and more out in the open.   CGC even applied for a business license to do in house service.   Boards went nuts and that got scrapped (until a few years later when pressing became rampant and they determined they had to get a piece of that pie too).  

If you are to believe some (very smart, IMO) people, this was always part of the business model.   

37 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Super brief summary/commentary (I'll probably miss a few points, and may have the timeline confused as well):

In the early days of the boards, pressing was a very hot topic.  Was it or wasn't it resto?   Lots of people thought it was, many didn't.   Various definitions of resto were bandied about.  CGC settled on the definition that if nothing was added/taken away from the book, it wasn't resto.  Additionally, press alone was hard to detect (when done properly).  

Pretty convenient definition that allowed for the CPR game to operate.   Pressing became a little more commonplace and more out in the open.   CGC even applied for a business license to do in house service.   Boards went nuts and that got scrapped (until a few years later when pressing became rampant and they determined they had to get a piece of that pie too).  

If you are to believe some (very smart, IMO) people, this was always part of the business model.   

I remember a Board poll and I think the pressing issue was pretty evenly divided but most of us came around to some degree or another. You are correct, CGC backed off on the in house pressing. I was actually for the inhouse service at the time as it was a hassle going through Texas for all your pressing needs. That was when Matt was the only game in town. Securing Matt for the inhouse service was a brilliant move. I think pressing became more acceptable after Borock left CGC. For a while, he was dealing comics and he was on the boards a lot. He was very open about his books are pressed. If you trusted Steve, you had to trust pressing. 

47 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Why Joey ? I know I always advocate letting a professional do your pressing but these are inexpensive but cool books for the collection. I recently got some books that were bagged but not boarded so the books were not flat. The weights work perfectly for this. I think every long term collector has tried this in some fashion. I've screwed up and caused a spine roll before, a learning experience to properly distribute the weight. When I start putting the books into a microwave (I know individuals that have done so) that's when you should call me out ! HaHA.

Too many variables where things can go wrong. 

5 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Too many variables where things can go wrong. 

Really?  It's just about as easy as bagging, boarding, and placing your comic in a longbox.  The negative is that it turns your nice, natural comics into crepes.

45 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Really?  It's just about as easy as bagging, boarding, and placing your comic in a longbox.  The negative is that it turns your nice, natural comics into crepes.

Bob,

At what point do you introduce 25 pound weights to your bagging, boarding, and placing your comic in a long box process?

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

Bob,

At what point do you introduce 25 pound weights to your bagging, boarding, and placing your comic in a long box process?

I didn't equate the two, I said it was as easy to do:

• - Place a backing board larger than the comic on the hardwood floor, then
  • - the comic in mylar, centered on the backing board
  • - another backing board larger than the comic centered over the comic
  • - an oversized book on top of the board
  • - a stack of objects to provide weight, ensuring no movement of the book that sits atop the comic
  • - then wait a couple of weeks
  • - carefully remove the weights, ensuring no movement of the book that sits atop the comic

It's that easy to turn your comics into nice, flat crepes.  Personally, I don't like the unnatural look of the comics, but it's hardly brain science to do it.

Edited by namisgr

On 3/24/2018 at 5:59 PM, JollyComics said:

The thing is though, there will be a substantial premium price for original and unrestored cars - or certainly very little done to restore it.