• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you expect your purchases to be bagged and boarded?
1 1

52 posts in this topic

I just received a package from a very well known dealer. Five slabs and 53 raw books. The total purchase was a bit over $400 and he charged $56 for shipping. Site said $8 for first slab and $3 each additional. Raw books were to be $5 for first and $1 for each additional. Says he would combine shipping to make it fair, or words to that effect.  I could have shipped them much cheaper, but that's not really my complaint. 

Of the 53 raw books, four had plastic bags and the rest were raw.  Mostly BA books, with a few early Copper( early Miller DD) It doesn't say anything about this on the site, but in this day and age I can't believe a dealer doesn't have his stock in plastic bags as a minimum. None of the slabs had any bags.  

I don't believe I'll be buying from him again. 

9 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I just received a package from a very well known dealer. Five slabs and 53 raw books. The total purchase was a bit over $400 and he charged $56 for shipping. Site said $8 for first slab and $3 each additional. Raw books were to be $5 for first and $1 for each additional. Says he would combine shipping to make it fair, or words to that effect.  I could have shipped them much cheaper, but that's not really my complaint. 

Of the 53 raw books, four had plastic bags and the rest were raw.  Mostly BA books, with a few early Copper( early Miller DD) It doesn't say anything about this on the site, but in this day and age I can't believe a dealer doesn't have his stock in plastic bags as a minimum. None of the slabs had any bags.  

That is pretty lame i wouldn't either

8 hours ago, shadroch said:

Being sent slabs without bags would be a little annoying, as, to begin with, they could get scratched or scuffed while being stored with the dealer. If buying slabs, there's a clear indication that the client is condition-conscious to some degree, and it would be common sense and courtesy, when distance-selling, to bag and board the raws in order to minimise the risk of spine bending, creasing or dings while in transit.  The raw, regardless of its price or what the market is currently saying about it, might have some special significance to the collector, even if the seller believes it's total drek.

Yes, I expect the books bagged and boarded. I probably miss out on some good finds at Shows because I won’t go through boxes where the books aren’t bagged and boarded. I figure they get damaged too easily with all the people looking through them. Again, just my hobby quirk... lol

the shipping on the raw books obviously did not combine to make it fair. I cannot see sending out raw books unbagged unless they were very low value, 50 cents or less each, and even then only rarely.

The slabs not being bagged wouldn't be an issue for me but the raw books should've been at very least bagged and should be boarded if not extremely low value. If not then there should be some kind of notication prior to purchase stating how they will arrive.

Edited by gaz973

Unless explicitly stated, I would expect the books to be bagged and boarded. 

I will sell cheap books (50 cents) bundled at around 8 in a comic book bag and then cardboard sandwiched and boxed or sometimes just bagged ($1 books) and cardboard sandwiched then boxed.  However, I always make that explicitly clear.  So far, no complaints and if there ever is one, I will take care of it. 

Was this a bulk buy with stock pics? Or did you see pictures of what you were buying.

I sell in lots. If you don’t see bags and boards in my pictures chances are you are not getting them. Unless I state that they will be bagged and boarded.

anything of value gets the bag and board treatment though.

All slabs ship in resealable Mylar bags. I buy them pretty cheaply in bulk. I do local shows and eBay and collect also. A slab with scratches sucks. I think customers appreciate the bags. As far as raw books most get bagged and boarded. Keys get shipped in mylars.  If I’m selling a bulk lot of say 25-100 books I will sometimes put all raws in a treasury size bag well taped. I do disclose in the listing that the books aren’t individually bagged or boarded. Customers are happy as long they know in advance. 

So much to say but I'll keep it nuts and bolts:

always bag and protect keys bcs of value obviously. 

Non value keys - it depends. I do a pretty good job bundling books without bag/boards but I always state it in my listings. HOWEVER the bottom line is this- are the books in the same condition as stated. I could receive them floating on the roof of the mailman's truck but as long as they are in the same condition as stated I'm happy. 

Heres a recent purchase to demonstrate my point:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pack-of-3-Limited-Collectors-Edition-C-31-Oct-Nov-1974-DC/112867095103?epid=85498469&hash=item1a4767323f:g:VgUAAOSwZ2laqByu

and here's how I got them

IMG_4223.JPG.6ccab6b40592ee5e50be5e7cf08dd21b.JPG

I don't sell much and I'm guessing this dealer has a very high volume with time and efficiency being an issue. However, I want my buyers to be happy when they receive their books and that means I want them to look "fresh" when they come out of the package. Somewhat similar to the "sale after the sale" mentality -- I want my buyers to feel good about their purchase and not like they've just had junk pawned off on them. Bare minimum is new or new-looking "regular" bags and boards. Keys usually get Mylites w/fullbacks. Again, I know the feeling of getting crisp-looking books and getting ones that are clearly old stock in shabby bags, so I don't want my buyers having any feelings of having purchased garbage. I understand if it's an individual with no regular access to the supplies, but with a dealer/regular seller it definitely moves more into a "cost of doing business" thing.

14 hours ago, shadroch said:

Please out this dealer, he deserves it and we deserve to know so we can avoid him. This is terrible. IMO, you were ripped off on the shipping costs and I'm sure the books sustained some damage shipped this way. As a side note, I don't like to get a large combo of raws and slabs in one shipment. It's not easy to accommodate both in the same box. I would have had the slabs shipped separately = two boxes. It doesn't sound like you really got combined shipping anyway so the cost would have been the same with two boxes. IN any case, not bagging and boarding raw books for shipment is crazy. PLEASE name names !

42 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Please out this dealer, he deserves it and we deserve to know so we can avoid him. This is terrible. IMO, you were ripped off on the shipping costs and I'm sure the books sustained some damage shipped this way. As a side note, I don't like to get a large combo of raws and slabs in one shipment. It's not easy to accommodate both in the same box. I would have had the slabs shipped separately = two boxes. It doesn't sound like you really got combined shipping anyway so the cost would have been the same with two boxes. IN any case, not bagging and boarding raw books for shipment is crazy. PLEASE name names !

Agree. 2 flat rate priority boxes would have been 26.70

Even 3 would have been under $40

Edited by faster friends

4 hours ago, faster friends said:

Was this a bulk buy with stock pics? Or did you see pictures of what you were buying.

I sell in lots. If you don’t see bags and boards in my pictures chances are you are not getting them. Unless I state that they will be bagged and boarded.

anything of value gets the bag and board treatment though.

Same for me. Lots don’t always have bags and boards and a lot of times I don’t switch out bags/boards

part of it for me is to keep cost down. Again this is for cheap books/overstock