• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COPPER AGE BOOKS FUTURE VALUES

177 posts in this topic

I like a very late modern or early copper book I dont see much press on ever. Avengers 195. One of these days some writer at Marvel like Busiek will get around to using the Taskmaster correctly and he will be on Deathstroke's level at DC. Until then Ill keep buying cheap NM copies when I can find them. I had always assumed issue 196 was his first appearance, but OS states otherwise. Shows what I know. confused-smiley-013.gif

how many long boxes of those do you have? smile.gif

one problem is that those books were being speculated on at the time. avengers numbers must have gone way up in the 180s and 190s because I see vastly more of them than 160s and 170s. byrne art probably helped, perez too once he started drawing a bit like byrne.

of course, i can't imagine that NTT #2 wasn't speculated on at the time and that book has legs.

I had always assumed issue 196 was his first appearance, but OS states otherwise. Shows what I know. confused-smiley-013.gif

I believe that Avengers 196 is his first full appearance, and Avengers 195 is more like Hulk 181, with a cameo app at the end.

I had always assumed issue 196 was his first appearance, but OS states otherwise. Shows what I know. confused-smiley-013.gif

I believe that Avengers 196 is his first full appearance, and Avengers 195 is more like Hulk 181, with a cameo app at the end.

He's on the last page of 195 in a full page panel. Hulk 180.

how many long boxes of those do you have? smile.gif

one problem is that those books were being speculated on at the time. avengers numbers must have gone way up in the 180s and 190s because I see vastly more of them than 160s and 170s. byrne art probably helped, perez too once he started drawing a bit like byrne.

of course, i can't imagine that NTT #2 wasn't speculated on at the time and that book has legs.

Its not that bad is it?? I mean I dont see that many copies. Now I could be wrong if it ever hits. But currently you dont see many listed. The 160s and 170s are on everyone's list due to Byrne writing just one of the bests early storylines of his in Avengers and the Korvac Sage which is vastly underappreciated IMO.

Ill take a Joe 21 high grade copy any day over all of them. Ever show I go too dealers dont have any but beat up VG copies. I had a 9.4 2 years ago and sold it think sure Ill find a better copy. 2 years later still looking .... And no not paying $200+ for one Ill find my the old fashion way Ill look in the boxes and flea markets thats where I found my last 9.4 for a $1.00

He's on the last page of 195 in a full page panel. Hulk 180.

So why is Avengers 196 not listed as his first full appearance? Is this Son of Satan all over again, where an erroneous listing just got a life of its own?

I see a lot in the 180s and 190s at shows. also coincided with the direct market and shops getting bigger and bigger right around then. maybe not so many listed on ebay because we're talking about $2-3 books. why bother?

by "a lot" I don't mean I see 100 copies of 196 sitting in a box, just see them more than the 160s, 170s, etc.

Just on the ASM 129 question, I was offered several ASM 129s in 9.2 (that I saw in person) for about $50. That was relatively common place -- moreover, during 96, 97, 98, there were a ton of books that were really in a rut at the time, meaning late silver/bronze. that's why I feel that the prices that have run up the last few years will correct, because in the long run, we've already seen books like ASM 129 go way up and then come way back down. When there is that kind of plentiful supply, the prices are hard to sustain.

Who thinks a 9.6 All Star Comics 58 is going to stay at $441 forever? Not me.

Just on the ASM 129 question, I was offered several ASM 129s in 9.2 (that I saw in person) for about $50. That was relatively common place -- moreover, during 96, 97, 98, there were a ton of books that were really in a rut at the time, meaning late silver/bronze. that's why I feel that the prices that have run up the last few years will correct, because in the long run, we've already seen books like ASM 129 go way up and then come way back down. When there is that kind of plentiful supply, the prices are hard to sustain.

Who thinks a 9.6 All Star Comics 58 is going to stay at $441 forever? Not me.

I feel everyone on these forums agree that these books are priced sky high and will come back down in FMV but the question that I always want to know is what will be that price? Is Amazing Spider-Man 129 a $500 book in 9.2? Is All Star Comics 58 really a $50 book in 9.8? What are more realistic prices for the demand/supply ratio?

The problem I have with AS 58 is that it really only heated up in the last few weeks. An AS 58 in 9.8 isn't the barometer. The question is, in relationship to guide, I think an AS 58 would normally go for guide under ordinary circumstances if it was strictly graded 9.0 or better.

Several shop owners had mid/high grade copies for a long time and are just unloading them now.

$50 isn't $25!

But that was at shows or from dealers, and hppefully even you can understand what the pricing difference was in 1997-98 from EBay compared to dealers. foreheadslap.gif

Why, after many people have confirmed that ASM 129 was not a high-demand comic in the mid to late-90's, are you continuing to fight? Trust me, NO ONE is going to come to my aid unless I'm 110% correct.

well, dropping from $150-$300 to $25-$50 would confirm that it was not a high demand comic. i thought the $25 reference sounded fishy, but $50 I can go for, particularly for a NM-. that was 1/3 to 1/2 guide or so.

anyway, as i've already stated i wasn't on ebay in 1998, started in late Sping of 99, so i can't comment on what the deal was in 97/98, just know i would have been bidding on NM ASM 129s had I seen them going for $25 and I started bidding on a lot of junk once I got going! my incredulity related to statements re: 1999.

i guess things changed rapidly over the course of 1999 because I remember my friend who owned a shop (who closed it later that year) talking with amazement that summer about the junk he was able to unload at good prices on ebay vs. his store or shows. i know I sold some stuff, without scans, and was fairly pleased, although i did get hammered selling one NM BA bronze semi-key without a scan. I guess I should have expected to only get 20% of guide with no scan.

anyway, as i've already stated i wasn't on ebay in 1998, started in late Sping of 99, so i can't comment on what the deal was in 97/98,

Well I just checked my old auction Word docs (pre-Paypal) and I bought tons of NM key issues in 1999-2001, all for pennies on the dollar. One I have from 2001 or so is a NM set (cough* bettyswalls *cough) of several ASM books like 121, 122, 129 and all between, for a grand total of $100.

Do the math.

But I will admit that at this late a date (post-2000) you really had to know who to buy from.

One I have from 2001 or so is a NM set (cough* bettyswalls *cough) of several ASM books like 121, 122, 129 and all between, for a grand total of $100.

What was the deal with bettyswalls? I bought an ASM from that seller as well.

Large warehouse find with a seemingly inexhaustable supply of unread Key Bronze Age issues like X-Men 94, GS X-men #1, ASM 121, 122 and 129, among many others. The only real surprise was, that unlike the MH2 find, there were only a few Hulk 181's.

Most of the good stuff is all gone, but just ask Jim/Awe what it was like in 1999-2002... cloud9.gif

Large warehouse find with a seemingly inexhaustable supply of unread Key Bronze Age issues like X-Men 94, GS X-men #1, ASM 121, 122 and 129, among many others. The only real surprise was, that unlike the MH2 find, there were only a few Hulk 181's.

Most of the good stuff is all gone, but just ask Jim/Awe what it was like in 1999-2002... cloud9.gif

I bought mine in 2002. I seem to remember that alot of the comics had ink stains on them, though.

I bought mine in 2002. I seem to remember that alot of the comics had ink stains on them, though.

The later ones did, as he went from best to worst when he sold. The stuff from early on is just exquisite, and there are many CGC gems that came from his books.